Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #121

City: Garden Prairie, IL
Vessel Name: Toscana
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 44 Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG 44-142 View Post
Recently purchased a Island Gypsy 44 and am looking for other owners who are willing to share information and advise. We decided to become full time live aboard. Our boat is very comfortable and spacious, having spent many years cruising sail boats, am somewhat nervous about boat handling characters in open seas.

Any information would be great.

I can tell you the 4 day trip down the lake from Green bay, WI to Winthrop Harbor, IL was pretty uneventful. Trawlers don't like beam seas, or rather their crews don't lol, but stabilizers, or a steadying sail help alot. heading into the waves, Gypsies are heavy, if you are fully loaded with fuel and water, 3-4 footers will get you some spray through the hawseholes, but thats not something that should bother you, they will handle double that easily before upsetting the ride too much. Following seas will make course tracking a challenge. The boat itself will handle seas that you and your crew will not wish to. Anything with some age has the possibility of stiring up crud in the tanks and clogging filters. If the weather is crappy... stay in port

jgtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #122

City: Columbus
I g 32

Guys, I'm looking at an '86 island gypsy 32 this weekend. It sounds too good to be true. Only asking around 28k. The guy says everything works. The pics look like it's pretty clean. He does say the bottom was painted 8-9 years ago so it could probably use some bottom paint. Assuming hull is in good condition and only a small amount of repair, how much should a bottom paint job cost? It has steel fuel tanks and and minimal electronics. Auto pilot but not a gps type and a fish finder. It has a Single Lehman and a bow thruster. It is the Europa style and I think it has teak decks. What do I need to look out for?
Thanks for any suggestions. I've been kicking tires for years and I'm about ready to make a move.

BillyWick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #123
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWick View Post
Guys, I'm looking at an '86 island gypsy 32 this weekend. It sounds too good to be true. Only asking around 28k. The guy says everything works. The pics look like it's pretty clean. He does say the bottom was painted 8-9 years ago so it could probably use some bottom paint. Assuming hull is in good condition and only a small amount of repair, how much should a bottom paint job cost? It has steel fuel tanks and and minimal electronics. Auto pilot but not a gps type and a fish finder. It has a Single Lehman and a bow thruster. It is the Europa style and I think it has teak decks. What do I need to look out for?
Thanks for any suggestions. I've been kicking tires for years and I'm about ready to make a move.

This should probably be a stand alone new post, and if Billy Wick could post a photo or two I am sure you would get some good pieces of advice from the august IG owners out there, the forum's premier group of members.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #124
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
In general trawlers of that age have similar problems some of the most expensive and/or most work to repair are; wet deck cores, rusting fuel tanks and wet stringers. I do my own bottom paint work so I canít tell you what is a reasonable price for one. The electronics isnít a real problem in my opinion because I usually replace them all anyway. I have twin Lehmans and they are great engines if they are maintained. American Diesel is the go to resource for them. I really donít like teak decks. Particularly older boats where the teak decks are screwed down, they will leak. I just refinished my teak sundeck and it was really hard work because you are on your knees. Get a good surveyor. And good luck, hope it works out great.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:59 AM   #125
Guru

Quote:
The IG32 is a nice boat that uses all of its 32ft well.
Things to look at:
Teak deck condition, like lost bungs,worn planks,failing sealant, leakage underneath.
Steel fuel tank and water tanks prone to rust, tops esp if decks are leaky.
Instrumentation sounds old, in need of update.
Windows, if wood, esp fwd, prone to leaks and rot. Check window drain holes,inside and out.
Bulkhead integrity/attachment
No idea of a/f cost, but most boatyards here have an all up price based on length.
Check if raw water pump on Lehman is updated American Diesel version. Probably not replaced.Lehmans run high hours if looked after.
A good survey is essential. Big spend item is removing teak decks and replacing with painted f/glass.
Pics or a link to a sales advert would help.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote