Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #61
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Bruce I think the Gourmet tag has only to do w trim but there may be a long line of features unique to the "Gourmet" boat.
That is the impression I come away with too Eric. No actual knowledge just an assumption based upon pictures seen. Always thought "gourmet" designated a deluxe trim level not unlike some car models.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #62
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There are not many of the Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser ( wonder about the "Gourmet" bit, but what`s in a name) here.
In a conversation with Harvey Halvorsen, years ago, he told me that the idea for the "Gourmet Cruiser" was sketched out on a napkin in a Hong Kong eatery. Since the main focus of the boat was to create an alternative to the "Picnic Boat" by Hinkley, he thought he'd have some fun with the name (& some one- upmanship ) & "Gourmet Cruiser" was born.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #63
Guru

[QUOTE=Andy G;172336]
Quote:
I wonder do they share a common hull ,maybe Walt knows the answer to that.
Yes, same hull as the IG 32.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
That is the impression I come away with too Eric. No actual knowledge just an assumption based upon pictures seen. Always thought "gourmet" designated a deluxe trim level not unlike some car models.
I can't compare the Gourmet cruiser with an IG 32 as I've never been on an IG 32! dwhatty, however, has what I believe is a bristol condition IG 32 and maybe he'll chime in here. (I think he's at sea with the boat at the present time.) All I can say with any degree of certainty is that there are differences in the interior of the two boats as well as the trim on the exterior. Things like recessed fuel & water fills, extra heavy rails and cleats, double chain lockers, folding helm seats, queen size master birth, separate shower,etc. may be shared traits between the 2 boats. I don't know for sure.

I really love my boat but there are differences other than trim between an IG 32 and my boat. For example the IG has a fly bridge , covered back deck, and is, in my opinion, the best 32 foot Euro on the water. If I could still scramble down the ladder from the fly bridge as I did years ago, I'd have an IG 32 Euro.

Please allow me my "bragging rights" as I've spent quite a lot of time in researching the ultimate 32 foot cruiser and with the background in building boats that the Halvorsen family has, I didn't go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Port View.jpg   Dorades.jpg   Twin Chain Lockers.jpg   Heavy Duty Hardware.jpg   dwhatty's Boat.jpg  

Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #65

Hi Walt,
Next time I am in San Diego your welcome to come on over. We have a 32 Euro IG #157 in you neighborhood. Email me your phone#
Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #66
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Eric, I`m not a huge fan of the FB, but we have a good size cockpit with no aft cabin. With one, I would definitely want the FB.
This may be interesting. IGs have quite large s/s trays under the engine(s) for drips of all kinds. One of mine was fairly full, they are a PITA to empty, and you don`t want that stuff in the bilge, thus the trays.
I got a small bilge pump, extended the wiring to reach a battery, added alligator clips,adding a switch at the wiring extension connection. Works well, beats reaching in with a small pan to pour into a larger one, again and again. Following draining the FW cooling system I removed over 20L. into containers emptied onshore, probably clean enough to run a long hose straight over the side.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Hi Walt,
Next time I am in San Diego your welcome to come on over. We have a 32 Euro IG #157 in you neighborhood.
PM sent
Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #68
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
I got a small bilge pump, extended the wiring to reach a battery, added alligator clips,adding a switch at the wiring extension connection. Works well
Ditto, no switch though.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Ditto, no switch though.
Andy, the spring loaded actuation switch helps,the battery being far away.
Doriana is up for antifouling after 2 good years of Jotun Seaguardian so I got pics you wanted of the underwater modification across the transom. Second pic shows the depth of the addition, cut away either side of the keel. Not having run an IG36 without the mod. I`ve no idea the difference it makes if any, but it looks intended to push the stern up, and bow down.
Perhaps the designers considering Mr.Pilgrim`s designs can take a look.
I seem to get excessive fouling of the running gear,shipwright says it can be caused by cavitation at high speed. IGs don`t do high speed, could it relate to the modification, particularly the gaps beside the keel?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0288.jpg   DSC_0294.jpg   DSC_0295.jpg  
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #70
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
That's really interesting Bruce.

For those non IG owners here are two, three pics of Sarawana laid bare. Doriana & Sarawana are both IG 36's. It's quite a sizable modification, it begs the question of who and why, & does it work?

Next time you are up in Pittwater I will bring Sarawana out and we will do a drive comparison.

A high speed IG road test, with those Lehmans under a full 1600rpm load.(and the devil take the hindmost )

Edit: oops, forgot the photo's
Attached Thumbnails
boat slip 003.jpg   boat slip 029.jpg   boat slip 040.jpg  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #71
Guru

Lehman powered IG36s racing! That should put RPAYCs Hanse racing fleet to shame.
The shipwright says he has seen this modification on other boats. It`s like a fixed trim tab. I saw trim tabs on a late IG 36 with twin 250hp Volvos, advertised for sale.
We have a large extra water tank in the aft lazarrette, another under the V-berth. Could it be balancing the extra water weight aft?
I`ll alert the design gurus or they`ll never see our obscure thread.
Good news, no blister recurrence after the extensive work 2 years back, when Doriana also had the "dalmatian" look, before the fresh a/f went on.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #72
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bruce,

Immediate knee jerk reaction is to say "take'em off"

They are a lot of drag. On an airplane when they put the flaps down for landing speeds and lift requirements remember that there's a feeling that the bus driver just hit the brakes? The drag from flaps are very similar to the drag from trim tabs. The idea is that you trade the drag of the tabs for a better angle of attack that reduces over all drag orr/and reduces the wetted surface. Or other advantages like being able to see over the bow.

You probably run your boat 7 or 8 knots and at that speed I think trim tabs fixed (like yours) or otherwise offer no advantage. Just drag.

I've seen many pics of Walt's boat doing 8.5 knots and have always been amazed that she's running level. Are you running tabs Walt? I also see dwhatty's boat running level too.

If the boat was a good balanced design to begin w putting an over sized water tank aft was not a good idea. I'd guess you'd need to go well over 10 knots to balance the boat's extra water and then when you went faster you'd probably be running bow down and your directional stability lacking especially in following seas.

If a boat is designed well and has the correct weight balance/trim the boat should assume a good appropriate trim angle at all speeds (excluding planing craft). So w your big water tank aft you should move other tanks, batteries or other heavy equipment fwd to balance the big tanks.

Somebody went to some trouble putting those wedges on your boat. Try and contact that person and see what you can find out. Perhaps he was in the habbit of running 11 or 12 knots. That would result in a high trim angle and he put the tabs on for that. Unless he went faster they probably just added drag.

Does the boat float on her WL? Where is your heavy equipment compared to other IGs? How fast do you run your boat?

Something that can aid any boat that goes over 6 knots and has a submerged transom is making the transom to bottom edge as sharp as practical. How much aid I don't know but it will help.

There is a remote possibility that Walt's and dwhatty's boats are out of trim and are heavy in the bow. A 32' boat at over 8 knots should be at least a little bit bow high. Just a thought.

Andy,
Hopefully your Lehman isn't at full load at 1600rpm.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #73
Guru

Thanks for contributing Eric, appreciated.
The usual water tanks are one either side. I think the aft one and the fwd one under the V berth are intended to balance each other.
We do cruise at 7-8 knots, 1500-1600 rpm. There is definite lift in the bow at that speed, more apparent as you power down. We have no additional heavy equipment other than the water tanks, all seems similar to Andy`s Sarawana, except she has the aft cabin.
The boat handles well in following seas, we`ve seen around 14 knots with swells travelling nicely under us, no drama. No loss of direction,no burying the bow.
As far as I know the PO of 25 years spent most time anchored wearing out gensets, putting < 1800 hours on main engines after 29 years. I`ll see if others comment before approaching him, we spoke once, he was not the seller to me, I bought from a 1 yr owner who bought from him,and died.
The modification was seen at survey,opinion was "it`s to keep the bow down".
Removal will be quite a job, lots of screws and epoxy I suspect, now covered in very fresh antifoul, if I remove it will be next haul, not this one.
What did you think about causing cavitation degrading the a/f via the gaps between the keel? I`m thinking any disturbance occurs well after water passes the running gear, so no connection.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I've seen many pics of Walt's boat doing 8.5 knots and have always been amazed that she's running level. Are you running tabs Walt?
I have them but never use them. They are constantly in a neutral position.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I have them but never use them. They are constantly in a neutral position.
I have them too. Rarely used them except once in awhile when running at WOT to bring bow down which gave a bit more "speed". Using the tabs would mean the difference between 11+ kts and 12-13 kts. Now that we added a prop cage its all academic since we can't get over 10 kts no matter what.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #76
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Doriana is up for antifouling after 2 good years of Jotun Seaguardian so I got pics you wanted of the underwater modification across the transom. Second pic shows the depth of the addition, cut away either side of the keel. Perhaps the designers considering Mr.Pilgrim`s designs can take a look.
Kind of strange, why they left those gaps?

Quote:
Not having run an IG36 without the mod. I`ve no idea the difference it makes if any, but it looks intended to push the stern up, and bow down.
Yes, but at higher speeds than your displacement vessel.

Quote:
I seem to get excessive fouling of the running gear,shipwright says it can be caused by cavitation at high speed. IGs don`t do high speed, could it relate to the modification, particularly the gaps beside the keel?
No relationship at all in my opinion,....no cavitation change, no fouling changes.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #77
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
We do cruise at 7-8 knots, 1500-1600 rpm. There is definite lift in the bow at that speed, more apparent as you power down.
Previous owner may have felt he could change this bow lift with the addition of this 'wedge' across the stern.

Most all vessels operating around their displace speed will show this tendency to sink a little more in the stern as they slow from displacement speed,...after all their sterns are falling into the single-length wave depression between the bow and the stern at displacement speed.

Quote:
The modification was seen at survey,opinion was "it`s to keep the bow down".
Have a look here, 'Stern Wedges'
Stern Wedges - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

...or google that term.

I've seen them used on a few sportfish boats and a Navy ship. I specified them on my gamefishing cat (second edition) as we were operating well beyond displacement speeds and the planning surface areas at the rear of those slender catamaran hulls is small, so any extra help would be welcome.

Quote:
Removal will be quite a job, lots of screws and epoxy I suspect, now covered in very fresh antifoul, if I remove it will be next haul, not this one.
What did you think about causing cavitation degrading the a/f via the gaps between the keel? I`m thinking any disturbance occurs well after water passes the running gear, so no connection.
I wouldn't bother removing it, I don't think its costing you any performance wise. And like you the gabs are causing any cavitation at the props.

Just my opinions
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #78
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bruce asked;

"What did you think about causing cavitation degrading the a/f via the gaps between the keel? I`m thinking any disturbance occurs well after water passes the running gear, so no connection."

I agree it's aft of the prop so no prop cavitation.

The "gaps between the keel" could cause turbulence though.

Ask your local laminator/FG expert what it would cost to remove them. I don't know how much performance degradation they will cause as I have very little experience w tabs/wedges but they certainly aren't helping your IG at 8 knots.

David or/and Walt do your tabs have much or any noticeable effect at 8 knots deployed about as much as would equal Bruce's fixed tabs? David and Walt's tabs probably are not very wide and the wedges on Bruce's boat are full width. But the upside is that your boat will perform as it did before plus the temporary gain you'll get from a clean bottom.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #79
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Without accurate before and after test data no one knows what the wedges are really doing. To compare you could run speed/fuel burn trials if you found another IG36 with identical power train, props, and identical loading and bottom smoothness.

I would just leave them alone unless you are running 1000+ hours per year.

The US Navy found adding wedges always improved speed/trim/fuel burn on any vessel they tried them on. Typically they are running heavily loaded hulls at slightly above displacement speeds.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #80
Veteran Member

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Journey
Vessel Model: 1999 Island Gypsy 32
1999 IG 32 Teak Leak

Hello everyone,

I am new to the list and we are negotiating to buy a 1999 IG 32 Europa.

Several comments in this thread talk about leaks in the teak decks. I gather they are not to be expected in every case but can and do happen. If there are leaks I can easily understand that the cost to repair can be big bucks.

As a gut feel question - How worried do you think I should be for this year model and how would it be best to test for leaks during survey?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne
Gray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote