Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #41

City: Spring Lake
I wonder what went wrong. Anyone have an idea why the thing did not post?

sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #42

City: sewell
Hello, Bruce. My husband and I will be looking at a bank-owned 1990 IG 36 Europa single cabin. From the limited photographs it would appear that there is/was a leak over the galley stove that I am guessing originated from the frame of a forward facing window. Is this a common issue? Also, this vessel has teak decks over an as yet undetermined cored or solid deck. It also has twin Volvo Penta engines but we don't yet know the hp. I have read some unfavorable comments about poor handling at speeds over 10 kts and the poor design of the rudders. We are coming off 25 years of sailboat ownership in the 38 ft range and don't really know what to look for in a semi-displacement trawler hull. Thanks in advance for any input you might offer. P.S.: do you know where I can view a layout of the boat?

atursi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #43
Guru

Hi atursi,welcome aboard.
I`ve not had a leak over the stove. I had water drip off the cabin "ceiling" gas cock, water from the FB was running along it, but my galley is aft. I had water entry fwd via the joint between FB and deck over the windscreen. Is there an air extractor over the stove where water could enter?
If the stove is original it will probably need replacing, the old RV ones fitted wear and leak at the control valves.
The deck substrate is almost certainly teak blocks,which get wet and rot. Mine is the only known one (so far) with foam decks. Sale by a Bank suggests an owner lacking funds with maintenance first casualty, so take care. Decks, and cabin leaks, are a worry, I`ve dealt with both, neither is cheap or easy to fix.
Volvos on IGs are usually 235hp, bigger than necessary, sometimes trim tabs get fitted, would certainly exceed 10kts whereas my Lehmans would be working hard. I`ve seen 14kts with big overtaking swells, steering/handling was ok. Been told overpowered 36s can "dig in" turning at speed. Hull speed is about 8 knots, most boats operate there, it uses much fuel to go a little faster. Volvo parts can be harder to source, and cost, according to the experiences of others on TF.
The general view here is they are a coastal cruiser, I`ve been in seas that had me nervous, but the boat did ok. Designed for comfort as well as sea performance, but quite capable, with an experienced designer. Plenty of ex sailboaters transition successfully to trawlers.
I will try to post layout drawings from the Owners Manual later, I need help for that.
It would help seeing pics of the boat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #44
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Hi atursi,welcome aboard.
. I`ve seen 14kts with big overtaking swells, .
14 knots in a following sea! How were your 'undies' Bruce?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
14 knots in a following sea! How were your 'undies' Bruce?
Kept them clean, but took precautionary seasick tabs. March this year, Sydney to Broken Bay, a decent southerly swell plus windwaves on top. I was pleased how well the boat did, swells just went under us accelerating the boat so I began checking the GPS speed. I was never concerned by the bow once outside Sydney Heads, but climbing the swells across the Heads going out was interesting, fortunately on a 10-12 secs period. Quick trip, glad to reach Barrenjoey and head for the Basin.
I always make a final on the spot assessment before going out. One year we took a look, opted for a night in Bantry Bay instead, and went up the next day. "There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old bold sailors".
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #46
Hospitality Officer

Yep, coming out of the heads can be a bit nasty, especially if you have a south easter swell bouncing off North Head and coming back at you to mix things up.

I agree, the hull seems to handle running situations pretty well, and there is no problem taking a sea head on. I do look with envy though at boats that have sufficient power to sit on the back of a wave in a following sea, the poor old Lehman's are not up to that.

On balance though I would not swap them for the more powerful Cummings.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #47
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
I looked over the bank owned 1990 IG36 this Spring. Not a bad boat, but it needs a lot of TLC. I was not a fan of the engines, too much power for our use. The Admiral thought the galley was a bit cramped. The big salon and centerline master berth were the best features.

We passed on it, if it had lehman 135s it would have been more attractive to me.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #48
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
I do look with envy though at boats that have sufficient power to sit on the back of a wave in a following sea, the poor old Lehman's are not up to that.

On balance though I would not swap them for the more powerful Cummings.
I disagree!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Bruce, because I have a bit more weight aft than usual because of tank positioning, my Lotus will surf and still steer extremely well, and I have seen 11.3 kn on the GPs in a good following sea, when 7.5 kn is all she will normally do flat out in calm waters with no current. That was fun...
Old 07-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #50
Guru

Peter, we have an extra water tank aft, wonder if that helps in following seas?
A PO modified the aft trailing edge of the hull with a full width strip extending in about a foot, and angled down. It`s like a fixed trim tab, to keep the bow down I think. IG36s with 2 235hp Volvos usually have trim tabs, can`t imagine Doriana up on the plane with Lehmans (or at all) but Volvos could, at scary fuel cost. IMO, trawlers were made to plod along, getting there is half the fun.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #51
Hospitality Officer

Bruce, any chance of a photo of this fixed trim tab set up the PO designed?

Sarawana planed once on a following sea, a very unusual feeling, I much prefer her a little lower in the water.

Actually, I think the IG 36' design should have been closer to a full displacement configuration, they don't really plane, so why not have some of the benefits of a displacement hull.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Bruce, any chance of a photo of this fixed trim tab set up the PO designed?
Andy, I may have a photo from the pre purchase survey, those photos are missing in a computer changeover, we`ll do some hunting. Hard to describe, a pic will certainly help;antifoul is coming up (near 2 years out of Jotun Seaguardian), can get pics then.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #53
Hospitality Officer

Do you do your own antifouling or farm it out?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Do you do your own antifouling or farm it out?
Probably get it done by Ron Bailey at Balmain who redid the decks. Their work is good, they are fair to deal with. Getting a bit old for that kind of DIY.
I`m hoping the pic is on a storage hard drive.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham Washington
Vessel Model: 49 GB Alaskan RPH
I looked at the bank owned 36 europa on saturday and if I was sure I was going to be on the east coast for a while it wouldnt be for sale any longer. Right up my alley wiring problems, lots of cleaning and cosmetics. Was exactly the project I have been looking for.
willysross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #56

City: staten island
The IG 32 is a great boat I have a 1989 cruised from Maryland to the Hudson Albany no problems the 6 cylinder cummins 210 is the perfect engine .
sara marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #57
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
While walking the floats at Anacortes 2 or 3 days ago I finally saw a 32' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser. Been looking at Walt's for years and his close up pics did show what a nicely finished boat it is. The teak trim is especially well done and radiates much class.

They must be a quality hull as I've never heard anything bad about them except the following sea thing. And w a big wide flat stern and small rudders one should expect that flaw. Head seas probably won't be quite as smooth as say a GB w a bit more deadrise but would be much smoother than some of the light trawlers like the Camano or the Ranger that probably dosn't range very far.

The Halvorsen and IG certainly aren't the RR of boats but they are certainly a very classy boat that will please most everyone. There's nothing that sticks out to grab you but that's probably one of their best features. This is a good classy boat w lots of space and stability that Lou Codega (the designer of the Great Harbor) could have come up with but instead went rather radical w the GH line. Not that radical is all bad as I have (relative to other trawlers) a rather radical boat and am quite happy w it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #58
Guru

There are not many of the Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser ( wonder about the "Gourmet" bit, but what`s in a name) here. Occasionally seen on the market, last time north of 200K, boats cost more here. They seem a good "couple`s" boat, and from memory head and shower are separate. The design, like the IG, reproduces some old "Halvo" aspects, fit outs looked good last time I saw pics.The Integrity 340 is on the same lines, as are the "Maine Lobster Boats" we are seeing now. Maybe people are realizing they can live with less boat.It is sad not having Halvorsen or IG any more here as a current brand.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #59
Hospitality Officer

[QUOTE=BruceK;172332]"There are not many of the Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser ( wonder about the "Gourmet" bit, but what`s in a name) here. Occasionally seen on the market, last time north of 200K, boats cost more here. "

There's one moorerd at our club, quite similar to Walt's, though not in as good condition, still, a good looking boat.

They are quite different to the 'traditional trawler style' IG's, without the flybridge they have a lower sleeker look in profile, more reminiscent of the original Halvorsen's

I wonder do they share a common hull ,maybe Walt knows the answer to that.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #60
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Saw an old GB on YW that had the FB removed or was a special order. It looked really good to me. As most everyone here knows I don't like fly bridges much but the GB FB w the two vertical creases is (I think) very hansom as fly bridges go. The FB on the Halversen I saw was a big arc w nothing to break it up. Made it look bigger. I like Walt's boat w/o the darned thing. But judging from all the FB comments I've read down through the years they must be fun as most everyone likes the FB.

Andy G's comment that the IG and Halvorsen may not have the same hull is interesting. I think they do but I've never seen an IG in anything but white while all the Halvorsen's I've seen are colored ... but only seen two .. I think.

Bruce I think the Gourmet tag has only to do w trim but there may be a long line of features unique to the "Gourmet" boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote