Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
The simularities between the early eighties IslandGypsys and the Grandbanks are what originally drew me to consider buying one.

We really like our 1983 32 footer, It is high in quality and a good design on its own merit. I think the boat is dryer than the GB32 as I believe there is more flare to the bow.

Decks are teak and holding well, This past season I removed the varnish from the caprail, eyebrows, and the hand rails and bridge ladder. All the teak is now a uniform silver and the wood maintenance is dramatically reduced.

The boat has a big feel too it, but it is still a pocket cruiser for sure.

Island Gypsy boats are very nice. IMHO.

JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #22

I have a 1976 36' Island Gypsy. I love the boat except for the teak deck leaks. I am selling it very cheap because of this. $32,000 Great Dual Diesel, Hull is solid and does not leak. Great boat but I have not the time or money to fix it.

Gypsy Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Andy- His son, Shin Kong, lives in the SFO Bay Area, has a GB, and is a member of the GB owners group. He has provided a lot of photos and history about his father's years with American Marine.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
FWIW, are non GB owners welcome on the GB forum?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
FWIW, are non GB owners welcome on the GB forum?
Yes. In past years there have been several participants in the forum who did not have GBs although they did not say what kind of boats they had.

Most of the things discussed on the forum have to do with boat systems, repair, upgrades, and so on and as such they can be relevant to just about any kind of cruising boat. There are also a fair number of members with wood GBs so there are frequent discussions on wood construction, repair and maintenance.

What would probably not be a good idea is if someone started talking about or asking about issues as they relate to another kind of boat. The discussions are obviously focused on GB boats and I don't think the forum would want people talking about their Bayliners or CHBs or whatever, particularly issues that are unique to those kinds of boats. One piece, aluminum framed windows, for example. It is most definitely not an "open" forum like this one in terms of the boats themselves.

The forum is free to join although they encourage making an annual donation (via PayPal) to help cover the cost of maintaining the forum and they acknowledge the people who have donated by a line in their avatar. There is a very good search function, similar to the one on this forum, so it's easy to go back and find discussions on finishes or deck maintenance or whatever.

There are actually two GB owners forums. The one with the most participation is the independent Grand Banks Owner's Resources The other one is sponsored by Grand Banks themselves and is GB Beacon | Home for Grand Banks enthusiasts across the globe.

The story of why there are two now instead of one is a long one, but the independent forum has the greatest participation. GB Beacon, however, has Mike Negley as a member and he is one of the two most knowledgeable people on GB boats, the other being Bob Lowe on the independent forum. It was great when there was just the one forum with both of them on it. I wish Mike would participate in the independent forum, too.

One of the best assets of the GB forum is the manuals section. There are manuals for engines, transmissions, etc. most of which can be downloaded. You have to be a member to access the manuals section.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Is that Peter Kong your referring to?.. I always thought that he provided the finance for the operation and the Halvorsen's the boat building expertise.

Yes, there is a strong similarity between the GB and IG's of that era. I wonder where they got the mould for the classic 36' IG's from, bet there is a story there.
The Owners Manual reveals it was Joseph H. H. Kong. He and Harvey Halvorsen sign the "Welcome On Board" page. The builder is identified as "Kong & Halvorsen Marine and Engineering Company Limited".
Harvey Halvorsen is often credited as the IG designer, I believe he resides in northern Sydney.
The fit-out has elements of traditional Halvorsen design, eg. the "anchor" design locker/cupboard vents in the cabin, while reproducing some GB features.The hull design is differs from older Australian built classic Halvorsens and does not reproduce the GB bow. I was surprised to recently see a Halvorsen around 50ft, built to traditional design in the early 1970s, in steel.
IGs up to 44ft were built in fibreglass, 50, 57, 65, 72 and 80ft models were built in wood. I have seen a 50ft model, of considerable volume and grand design, undergo a major refit after sinking. It was built of meranti, not the best choice judging from the rot.
While shopping for "Doriana" a broker commented the GB and IG were virtually the same boat. That may draw protests from GB owners but I think tells us Kong & Halvorsen`s aim in producing the IG range. I understand the GB is regarded as a better sea-boat.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
While shopping for "Doriana" a broker commented the GB and IG were virtually the same boat. That may draw protests from GB owners but I think tells us Kong & Halvorsen`s aim in producing the IG range. I understand the GB is regarded as a better sea-boat.

The couple of IG owners I know here personally, including the fellow who replaced his wood deck with a fiberglass deck that is probably done better than the manufacturer could have done it, refer to their boats as "poor man's Grand Banks."

I have never heard the specifics for this attitude other than they say they are built lighter. I've never actually been in one so I can't compare the interior craftsmanship and so on.

I don't know about the better sea-boat business. Neither one of them are blue-water boats; with their big windows, relatively shallow draft semi-planing hulls, and wide transoms they are coastal boats only.

The fellow with the re-decked IG on our dock has taken his boat to SE Alaska several times Based on that and what his boat looks like out of the water I would be very hesitant to make any "better than" claim for either boat regarding their capabilities.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #28

City: Folly Beach
Replacing Island Island port lights

I am new to this posting idea and hope this is the correct place for it.. We have just purchased a fabulous 1983 44" Island Gypsy in good condition. We are interested in changing out the 8 existing plastic Master stateroom port windows and would like to upgrade them to bronze. We are having a difficult time finding ones large enough. These are approximately 10" x 20" . Any suggestions where to find them?
Thanks
Robinini
Robinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The couple of IG owners I know here personally.. refer to their boats as "poor man's Grand Banks."
I have never heard the specifics for this attitude other than they say they are built lighter. I've never actually been in one so I can't compare the interior craftsmanship and so on.
I don't know about the better sea-boat business. Neither one of them are blue-water boats; with their big windows, relatively shallow draft semi-planing hulls, and wide transoms they are coastal boats only.

The fellow with the re-decked IG on our dock has taken his boat to SE Alaska several times Based on that and what his boat looks like out of the water I would be very hesitant to make any "better than" claim for either boat regarding their capabilities.
Fair comment. The only authoritative way to compare sea keeping ability would be sea trial comparisons. I doubt that has or will happen. I regard mine as a coastal cruiser. There is a GB36 advertised here as coming from Singapore on its own bottom. Could have been a millpond all the way. Or not.
I don`t disagree with the "poor mans Banks" view. I`ll certainly be a "poorer man" after I pay the final deck reno bill.
I think GB set a benchmark; the IG is largely derivative and it differs from past Halvorsen design. An experienced local surveyor said IGs are "constructed to a high boat building standard", he considered the IG36 "seaworthy for coastal passages in fine weather", I don`t disagree with the latter but have been beyond that ,in safety, with due care.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I would agree with Marin and Bruce on the IG vs. GB comments.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinini View Post
We have just purchased a fabulous 1983 44" Island Gypsy in good condition. We are interested in changing out the 8 existing plastic Master stateroom port windows and would like to upgrade them to bronze. We are having a difficult time finding ones large enough. These are approximately 10" x 20" . Any suggestions where to find them?
Thanks
Robinini
Congratulations Robinini, and welcome aboard.
I hope someone local can help with the port lights. If all else fails you could ask Mark Halvorsen (<mark@halvorsenboatsales.com.au>),he told me his first visit to the yard in China was 1988, so he may be unable to help.
What cabin version is your IG? The 44s I have seen here are not aft cabin, and look very spacious. What engines do you have?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #32

City: Folly Beach
Thanks

We are very excited about our Island Gypsy 44 Flush aft deck motor cruiser ( according to the original brochure ) I refer to her as a sundeck. She has 3 staterooms and 2 heads w showers. The aft cabin Master is very roomy. It has simple lines. We looked at and seriously considered several models before deciding on this one. We considered the Marine Trader as we really like their attractive cabinetry design. The Defever was a strong contender with the similar floor plan and walk-in engine room, but we decided that the round hull design made her a bit too rolly. And dollar for dollar we felt like we have gotten a very solidly built, stable, salty looking boat. The deep bulwarks make her much more trawler- like and nautical looking than several "motor yachts" we looked at. The 15' 4" beam makes the salon plenty spacious enough to accommodate the galley up design, which in turn allows for the 3rd stateroom bunk room below. We may, in the future decide to rework that one into an office/utility area
She has twin Lehman 120's. Our maiden voyage will be 600+ miles to take her from S Florida to our home in SC. guess we'll get to know her well during the process.
Robinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I think GB set a benchmark;
I think the main benchmark American Marine set with their Grand Banks design was consistency of quality. Over the years there have been designs that are more pleasing and makes and models of boats that are better built.

But what AM brought to the production boat table with their GB line in 1966, first in wood and then in fiberglass, was consistency. Every GB was built by the same people (figuratively speaking) in the same yard with the same materials to the same quality standard (for the most part--- they had periodic bouts of hull layup problems and kept calling Howard Abbey back to set the process right again).

Not that this consistent quality thing is a GB exclusive. But particularly during the heyday of the "farm the work out" Taiwan Trawler makes and models, GB's approach to production boat building, first in Kowloon and then in Singapore, stood out.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #34

City: Spring Lake
Does anyone have or could provide a picture (s) of the sliding door lock. The previous owner took mine out and wood plugged the hole. I like to replace the lock as it should have been.
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
Does anyone have or could provide a picture (s) of the sliding door lock. .
Sunvale, Your request is not forgotten. I took the pics,just need the resident computer hotshot to put them on my computer to post. It is an unusual lock with a hooked (pants tearer when door slid open) end which goes into the (?)door surround receiver part.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Sorry. Can't help. Ours has a hinged door.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Does anyone have or could provide a picture (s) of the sliding door lock.
Pics/description posted on the other thread you started. Feel free to seek more pics/info/measurements.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #38

IG Owners Plate

I don't remember who asked me, but they wanted me to post the manufacturers plate of my IG. So here is is.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
I don't remember who asked me, but they wanted me to post the manufacturers plate of my IG. So here is is.
Where?
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #40

Not sure what happened, but I up loaded the picture but can't find it now??