Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #81
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The issue may be more of water working it's way down under the teak than a "separate" pad where the filler is.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
When we bought our boat we bought a pair of very simple, stout, bronze tools designed specifically for removing the flush fill caps with the two holes in them. The tool has two parts, one hinged to the other one, and pins that fit the holes in the cap. You can exert a lot of leverage with them. Far better than the flat metal "keys" I see a lot of people using. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this tool. I don't have a name for it, though.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The issue may be more of water working it's way down under the teak than a "separate" pad where the filler is.
The problem the fellow who did the pads in my photos was trying to eliminate was the possibility of moisture following a seam up and under the lip of the fill fitting. While these fittings are bedded when they're installed there is the potential for a seam to pull free of one side of its groove or the other and thus create a path for moisture to get under the fill fitting. By surrounding the fill fitting with a solid ring of teak the potential for this problem is eliminated.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The problem the fellow.. was trying to eliminate was the possibility of moisture following a seam up and under the lip of the fill fitting. While these fittings are bedded when they're installed there is the potential for a seam to pull free of one side of its groove or the other and thus create a path for moisture to get under the fill fitting. By surrounding the fill fitting with a solid ring of teak the potential for this problem is eliminated.
I figured that. I have not decided whether to copy that or put a pad on top of the new teak. I could not decide what the guy was going to do with the filler flange, recess it into the pad, or leave it proud on top. Maybe he was still deciding when the pics were done. I think recess it flush, otherwise it adds a toe cut risk to a stub risk.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #85
Scraping Paint

I suspect he was going to leave it on top of the teak doughnut. The fill caps on most GBs are this way from the factory--- the filler flange is simply bedded to the teak deck. Our boat is that way, we have two fillers on each side deck, and they have never been any sort of a problem when walking on the deck. I suppose if one went barefoot they might be, but the upper flange "corners" on our bronze fillers are radiused, not sharp and they stick up so little I can't imagine them being any sort of toe stubber.

Other boats might be different.

An advantage to having the filler flange proud of the deck is that if the deck is wet that little bit of rise to the top of the flange can prevent water from running down into the open filler. If the fill flange was flush with the deck even a thin sheen of water on the surface could flow down into the tank.

We've filled our tanks in the rain on several occasions and the raised filler flange keeps the rainwater running on the deck out of the filler opening. I put a rag around the fuel nozzle to keep the rain from getting down past it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #86
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I like that GB deck fill idea. Bruce are you replacing your deck fill brass fittings?

We had ours plated, pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deck fill 001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	14395  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #87
Guru

Inching towards completion. The light grey non skid on the bow is complete, laying teak continues aft. The young employed shipwright doing most of the work has a photo record he will put on a CD. He has real pride in his work.
Saturday night, very high tides and a few other things, the stbd bow came in contact with the (non floating) work berth dock. Only hull damage in 3 years of ownership. To his credit, the apologetic shipwright will slip (= haul) the boat tomorrow for 2 days to repair the gelcoat and some capping.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #88
Guru

The decks are complete. Here are 3 photos of the non slip and teak areas, the bow windlass locker rebuilt to original last year, and the other girl in our life. We also replaced the windscreen and the flybridge "tonneau" cover.
I dispensed with raising the fuel fillers on a pad after discovering water in the stbd tank was entering via a (now repaired) hole near the filler tube. Water in the (un-holed) port tank was no more than condensation.

I visited most days during the work and believe it was carried out well. The shipwright even made a router jig to cut recesses for the new hinges replacing the failing previous piano hinge attachment of the aft lazarette hatch covers. The foredeck gets hotter than expected, shoes will be needed, but it`s a small price to pay for sealed decks which will take the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1249.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	14988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1250.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	14989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1255.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	14990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1256.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	14991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7054.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	14992  

Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #89
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Beautifully appointed deck Bruce!

Doriana looks fantastic too

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #90
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Excellent job Bruce looks great, hadn't thought of putting the boat hooks there.Does your Lazarette hinge to the starboard?

How is 'Fang' going? Any plans for a sojourn to Pittwater in the near future?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #91
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Looks really nice Bruce. Well done.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Excellent job Bruce looks great, hadn't thought of putting the boat hooks there.Does your Lazarette hinge to the starboard?

How is 'Fang' going? Any plans for a sojourn to Pittwater in the near future?
Andy, a PO positioned the boathooks. The lazarette has twin hatch covers hinged outwards; new hinges easily go to 180 degrees the old piano hinge was strained.
"Holly Dog" is well, just turned 13, better recovered than my bank a/c from November surgery removing two benign but troublesome tumors.
Next foray to Pittwater should be 16-24 March 2013.
Peter, thanks, I am pleased so far, costs but looks wonderful. Inside the bulwarks was painted all round when the inner bow was reconstructed. Fortunately the cabin paint responded to vigorous polishing. The finish on the cappings is Deks Olje 1 & 2.
At one time the hull was painted or gelcoated dark blue. A 1991 IG36 sold recently with a blue hull. No plans to revert.
Merry Christmas guys; if the weather clears we will lunch on the boat.