Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #61
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Bruce, I think there is a GB at our club with that combination. I am going down today to look at the wooden boat show, I will try to get a photo of said GB and post it.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #62
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Bruce, I think there is a GB at our club with that combination. I am going down today to look at the wooden boat show, I will try to get a photo of said GB and post it.
That would be great, the difficulty is finding an exposed edge without dismantling. We found one at the aft lazarette where we have big hatch doors.Marin might be interested in what you find. A lot of our GBs were built by/for Mariner Cruisers in Singapore/Asia.
We plan visiting the wooden boat show at RMYC tomorrow. Always good.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #63
Hospitality Officer

This any help? Sorry I'm not much of a photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wooden boats12 049.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	13837   Click image for larger version

Name:	wooden boats12 050.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	13838   Click image for larger version

Name:	wooden boats12 048.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	13839  
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #64
Guru

Thanks,pics are good. The step position seems the same as mine. The GB32 I saw had the step at the aft end of the saloon.
I`ve decided if the $ holds I want it all teak.
Sarawana looked good today while we were at RMYC. I see what you mean about the hard turn you have to make. Bruce
Old 11-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #65
Guru

Decided to go with non slip painted f/g on the bow back to the step down, and fresh teak elsewhere.Makes sense due to exposure,and the pics helped visualize.
In the areas just forward of the step up, wood had been laid to support where everyone would step, that wood was no good, black, soft, damp. I`m lucky most deck is foam sandwich, makes a difference to the scope and cost of work, I`m not lucky enough to be the only IG with foam sandwich decks, it`s worth a look.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #66
Hospitality Officer

I am still surprised she has foam decks and not the hardwood blocks, from memory our hulls are only a couple apart,Sarawana is #32

I think the combination nonslip/teak will look good.Works for the GB 36' in the pictures.One thing I did note though is that there is no colour variation from the deck sides and the non slip, on a sunny day it may be a bit hard to know where the non slip starts and finishes.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #67
Scraping Paint

City: -
Andy--- If you're referring to the photos you posted in the earlier post above I don't think that's a Grand Banks 36. At least not one made by American Marine/Grand Banks There are only two versions of the GB36 with step-downs in the main deck. The very first woodies had a step-down aft cockpit like the GB32. This was eliminated almost immediately.

The GB36 Europa has a step-down near the junction of the fore-cabin with the main cabin to let people stand upright under the covered side decks when they step out the main cabin door. But the handrails on a GB36 run all the way round the boat, not just on either side of the foredeck.

Is this perhaps one of the quasi-GBs that were made in Australia under license from American Marine/Grand Banks at one point?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #68
Hospitality Officer

Could be , I'll brave the rain for a few more photo's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GB 36 001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	13879   Click image for larger version

Name:	GB 36 002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	13880   Click image for larger version

Name:	GB 36 005.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	13881  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #69
Hospitality Officer

Not great pics, he's few more
Ed, err one more.

There is a couple of these Oz GB's on the marina, I think they were made ,as you say under licence, by an Oz company Mariner/Riveria in the 1980's they made mostly sport fisher type boats, like the Black Watch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GB 36 004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	13882  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #70
Scraping Paint

The hull looks identical to the Ken Smith GB semi-planing hull. But the topsides bear only a passing resemblance to an actual GB.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
I am still surprised she has foam decks and not the hardwood blocks, from memory our hulls are only a couple apart,Sarawana is #32

I think the combination nonslip/teak will look good.Works for the GB 36' in the pictures.One thing I did note though is that there is no colour variation from the deck sides and the non slip, on a sunny day it may be a bit hard to know where the non slip starts and finishes.
I`m surprised too, pleasantly, few areas need repair. The worst are just fwd of the step up,where wood was used.
Your photos, plus boats I`ve seen,and some adverts on boat for sale sites, show the combination of finishes is quite popular and looks ok. We already opted for a light grey on the foredeck in preference to the white.
Marin, I understand GBs sold here in 1980s/90s by Mariner/ Riviera, were built in Singapore.Volvo and Cummins engines were used, maybe others. I don`t think there were aft cabin versions. Might have been 42s as well as 36s. Mariner also sold a Mariner 39 and a 43, in trawler/Europa style,they look very Taiwanese. Bill Barry-Cotter, ran Mariner,then Riviera, now Maritimo. Riviera continues as a brand,despite corporate "reconstructions".
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #72
Scraping Paint

Maybe they bought hulls from American Marine/Grand Banks and then did the topsides themselves. On the GB forum these boats have been talked about as having been built in Australia but I have no way of knowing it that's true or not. I would be surprised if American Marine/Grand Banks, which until fairly recently has always been on financially shaky ground if not actually in bankruptcy, would have created different molds for a low number of boats aimed at one specific market. But whacking out some extra hulls makes sense since it would represent additional profit only.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Maybe they bought hulls from American Marine/Grand Banks and then did the topsides themselves. On the GB forum these boats have been talked about as having been built in Australia but I have no way of knowing it that's true or not. I would be surprised if American Marine/Grand Banks, which until fairly recently has always been on financially shaky ground if not actually in bankruptcy, would have created different molds for a low number of boats aimed at one specific market. But whacking out some extra hulls makes sense since it would represent additional profit only.
It is possible fitouts were done in Australia,seeing as Mariner/Riv were already building and fitting out planing cruisers here. Hard to be sure. They were popular sold well, and are well regarded.I only mention the 42s because there are a number around from that era.
I heard IGs were built in mainland China, finished in HK. Mark Halvorsen said some fitouts, like my Europa with just one sleeping cabin,were part fitted out here, may explain the kitchen "wood" laminate on the flat area back from the windscreen, sun durable but less "salty".
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The hull looks identical to the Ken Smith GB semi-planing hull. But the topsides bear only a passing resemblance to an actual GB.
I was just saw pics of a Riviera 35. The origin of the cabin/window design of "Australian built" GB 36s, produced and sold by Riviera, is quite apparent.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #75
Guru

Deck refurbish progresses. Non slip foredeck is ready for final undercoat, holding finish coats until the teak is laid aft ( it arrives tomorrow). I`m having the flush deck fuel fillers elevated on teak square pads about 1/2 inch high, putting the fillers above the flow of rainwater on the side decks. That should stub a few unwary toes. Not elevating the 4 water fillers, hoping rainwater leaks into them.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #76
Hospitality Officer

Bruce , I trust the teak pads for the fuel fillers will be rounded off, not box like. Looking forward to finished pics.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Bruce , I trust the teak pads for the fuel fillers will be rounded off, not box like. Looking forward to finished pics.
Andy,I thought of that and asked for rounded edges. Squared might have been more effective keeping the water at bay, but there was a risk the stubbed toe might be mine. And it will look heaps better than squared.
I think we are still around 2 weeks off finishing, and work is weather dependent in a berth at Balmain. Work berth is $600pcm, Putney yard (old Halvo factory) is $250 a day under cover! Ouch.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #78
Guru

Today the yard started laying out the teak. At last. It all gets placed,adjusted to fit,then the adhesive goes on and the strips. Only the outer strip gets screwed down. Young Ben, the shipwright doing it is very keen and able,but it`s his first teak deck replacement. He is supervised and helped by the boss Ron, the shipwright business owner. I left today so Ron could have a "chat" with Ben, who I am sure will get right into it and do a well thought out good job.
The starboard fuel tank has a hole near the filler tube, the mechanic and Ben are figuring a way to plate over it, in metal or fibreglass. Anything to avoid a new tank. The port one was ok. The stbd tank that gets the water,funny that.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #79
Scraping Paint

This may be of no interest to you at this point if you have already determined how to deal with the deck fills in your teak deck. But this is what one of the members of the GB owners forum did to deal with the issue of water leaking in via the seams past the deck fills. The photos are self-explanatory I think. Very slick solution I think.

Name:	image-2928108991.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	14338

Name:	image-956971544.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	14339
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #80
Guru

Thanks Marin. My idea is similar,it involves placing and elevating the filler flange so it sits flush with the circular teak moulding. I had not thought of setting the moulding down into the decking, that might be a better way to ensure water exclusion.
I will print the pics to discuss with the shipwright.
The modification is straightforward,looks ok, and can easily be retrofitted to an existing teak deck. No need to wait for a deck renovation.
A previous shipwright with metal fabrication skills made me a great tool for the fuel tank caps. I will try to post a pic, so much better than those flimsy keys that come with them.