Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Halvorsen

There are already a couple of Halvorsen owners amongst the TrawlerForum membership, and I know of a bunch more who are active on other such sites who may well spend time here too. Here's looking forward to developing a little (but very international)*Halvo fraternity on TrawlerForum!

Cheers!
Mark
boogiediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Halvorsen

Way to go Mark! Now if I could only figure out how to add a photo to my profile and signature, I'd be set.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Guru

Halvorsen

My God....Halvorsen is about 140 years old and we are listed under "Other Makes."
Old 10-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Guru

Halvorsen

Still haven't figured out this "avatar" thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Halvorsen

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Still haven't figured out this "avatar" thing.
Looks like you got it figgered out thre Seahorse.* Welcome aboard and we'll discuss adding Halvorsen.* Would y'all be against being lumped in with Island Gypsy?
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Guru

John:

I don't have a problem with Halvorsen being lumped in with Island Gypsy as they are almost exactly the same boat. (32's that is)

BTW...My last boat was a 30' Mainship Pilot (1999) and I loved it! My wife wanted a bigger state room and that is why we are driving a 32. The Pilot, however, did everything I ask of it and I had zero trouble with it.

Walt
Old 10-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I figured Island Gypsy's are Halvorsens, so definitely no issue being lumped in with them.

Hey, this is what a Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser 32 looks like against a Nordhavn 55... She (the Nordie) is the "Global Adventure" which, after completing a good chunk of her round-the-world voyage, is now for sale here in Hong Kong. I couldn't help going to check her out! A real little expedition ship and - I conclude - not ideal for day boating in HK!

I'll stick to my Halvo for now!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
mch_2364c.jpg  
Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi, Mark and Walt.* Are we the only three Halvosen/IG owners here, or are there others?
jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
Guru

Halvorsen

Jeff: We are it for now.

Just got back from a San Diego Bay cruise with an old friend who is in town. Had the Bay pretty much to ourselves, so we just put the boat on 1400 rpm's, broke out the Pepsi's, had a couple smokes and kicked back.
if there is anything better to do on a Fall day, I'd like to see it.

Walt
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Jeff. I note that troy994719 drives an Island Gypsy 36 which is one of the boats pictured at the top of the web*page, so we're not entirely alone.*Come and join us Troy!

Jeff, my boat has arrived in Hong Kong but not yet delivered to me. Commissioning and final touch-up works take a bit of time after construction at*a Chinese yard, so I don't think she'll be mine until next week.

More anon.

Mark
Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #11
Guru

Mark:

Which boat at the top of the page is the Island Gypsy 36?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi, Mark and Walt,

Just finished winterization on Saturday.* I was thinking back to the days of winterizing my sailboat; it was always (or so it seems) 40 degrees and blowing and I was always freezing, working on a cold engine that was jammed under the companionway.* Winterizing this boat is positively civilized, what with the heat and all.

Mark, we'll be awaiting the word to pop the bubbly in celebration of your new boat.* It should be a fun day!

Jeff
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Mark:

Which boat at the top of the page is the Island Gypsy 36?
2nd one from the left!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Guru

My swim step on my 2005 Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser is coming apart before my very eyes. My yard says that salt water has intruded in to the swim step assembly and has attacked and corroded the aluminum inserts, causing them to swell and crack the fiber glass enclosure. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
img_1797.jpg   img_1798.jpg   img_1802.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Walt,

Wow, that doesn't look good.* I had a somewhat similar problem, but not nearly as extensive.* My swim platform is a solid fiberglass slab, with an underlying frame built of, I believe, wood.* I had a small crack, perhaps 5-6 inches in length and 1/8" in width, form along the middle of the port-facing vertical edge of the platform parallel to the top and bottom surfaces.* This was not a simple gel-coat crack, but a crack completely through the fiberglass skin.

There was also a problem with the glass work on the hull under the point of attachment of the swim platform.* No cracks, but there was weeping (a bit of brown water) from the point of attachment of the swim platform mounting brackets.* This was due to either a manufacturing void or a poor-quality repair.

I was concerned about water infiltration, so I had the yard remove the swim platform last winter and repair it and the hull.* In both cases, repair consisted of grinding out the fiberglass in the areas in question, letting them dry out thoroughly and properly reglassing the areas.* The repairs look great and were very well done.

How is your swim platform constructed?* Is the supporting framework under the *fiberglass aluminum?* What do you mean by "inserts"?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Guru

Jeff:

Thanks for the reply. It raises my spirits knowing someone else faced a similar problem.

The frame inside the glass swim platform is aluminum plate. (1/8-1/4, can't really tell yet) There are additional aluminum inserts inside the glass and they are positioned over the SS brackets that are attached to the transom. This is so that you can drill and tap the inserts that accept large machine screws, thus holding the platform to the brackets. Now, my rudder, which is also fiber glass over a frame is of similar construction. The difference there, however, is that the rudder frame is SS! Why SS on the rudder and aluminum in the swim platform? Because aluminum is easier to drill and tap and since the Chinese never grew up with boats, they don't know any better!

By the way....remember my speed problem?* I had an analysis done and it would apper that I'm propped wrong! Don't know if I'm going to spend the money for 3 extra kts* at cruise and 15.5kts at WOT but that's what the experts are telling me. Please don't let Yardway Marine know about this as if they want the data, they can spend their money for an engineering study like I did.

Although I love this little boat, after chasing down fixes for the last year that should have been solved in the build, I don't have much faith in Halvorsen and Yardway Marine.

Walt

PS I picked up .8 kts with just a bottom job and Prop Speed application
Attached Thumbnails
img_1809.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Hmmm, maybe I have aluminum inside my swim platform, as well.* Is yours repairable?

That's great that you've gotten some resolution on your speed issue, or at least a definite diagnosis.* How does the Prop Speed stand up to barnacles and the like?* I'm looking for a better solution there.* On my previous boat I tried painting the prop, which worked for a while but didn't last the season.* I've also tried wax, which works to some extent.

My current issue is a couple of deck cracks; one at the base of the flybridge steps and the other at the joint between the steps and the bridge deck.* I had a leak from the latter and it drove me nuts.* I rebedded all the bridge hardware, to no avail.* I finally ran a bead of polysulfide along the raised lip on the bridge deck that keeps water from running down the steps; that did the trick.* My yard's opinion is that there's a*crack there that had been covered over with a layer of gel coat, rather than being properly repaired (ground out and filled with epoxy).* More grinding and glassing this spring.

Yeah, it's really annoying.* I guess a boat is a work in progress.

-- Edited by jethrobd at 20:33, 2008-01-17
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #18
Guru

Jeff:
I suppose anything is repairable but in this case I don't think so. I'm already looking into getting a swim platform built out of teak. I know, I know...teak? With my blue hull and teak trim and caprails it's a maintenance headache but like a 57 Chevy, it sure looks great when it's kept up. These are good looking boats...not just my opinion but almost everyone that sees them. So far I found a guy in the high desert of Arizona that makes teak swim platforms but he is pricey. Beautiful work though.

As for the prop Speed, I have had it a grand total of <u>one day </u>and so far, it still looks great! Seriously, I've talked to several guys that had it done about three years ago and they swear by it. (Expensive....the kit was $219 and with labor (buffing out the prop, etc.) it was $400!!! I know that's dumb but I've already told my kids that my plan is to spend my last $100 ..30 minutes before I kick the bucket.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1812.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
Guru

Jeff:

I just ran this off boat Diesel and it almost coincides with what my prop guy is telling me.
Attached Images
File Type: png prop calc 16klb.png (67.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #20
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Halvorsen

Jeff,
Prop Speed is the only way to go.
I have been using it for a few years now.
It is good to know that when you go to use your boat the prop is not fouled and you don't have to dive and clean before departure.
I leave my boat at th3e marina for long periods between cruises and since changing to prop speed have not had any build up.
Have previously used hard antifoul and also heated` the prop before coating it with lanoline, none of these were really successful.
Prop speed is expensive but I can get a couple of years out of one application , I haul my boat every 12 months as it is timber and you gotta watch them worms.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote