Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: boston
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy
OK Jerk, zirt, zerk, shmerk no wonder I always knew it as a grease fitting. Getting past what to call it now I have to figure out were to put it. We better watch it or the thread will be pulled,,,just kidding.

kulass44 did say post but I understood it to mean the bushing and I would further assume you would want it below the stuffing. This would fill the area below the stuffing matirial and excess would run down the shaft and out the other end of the bushing (into the water).

Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
If you have enough water pressure to leak through your stuffing you don't want a zerk in a pressurized area?

Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Xsbank

You make a good point and corrosion would definitely be a factor, however I will say that a zerk fitting is by design a check valve of sorts. I have had them both freeze closed making it impossible to get grease in them and stick open and run all the grease back out after filling a fitting. A good quality SS fitting full of grease should work fine. If it did fail short of being sheared off it would only leak through the small check ball.
I am not for or against at this point but the concept is interesting. I am still surprised that I have never run across this in the past.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Overgill

My 2 cents:

Someone with experience is going to have to chime in on the rationale of a zerk fitting below the waterline for patch job application.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

OK I just did a quick search "stuffing box grease" and to my surprise it came up with a long list of sites regarding rudder packing and maintenance, with mention of the grease (zerk) fitting. There is even a site specific to a Volvo system that utilizes a remote mounted grease pump. So as our Hawaiian friend pointed out this is a rather common approach.

I will definitely be looking into this as part of the fix for my persistent rudder leak.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
My two cents question isn't does anybody use grease to help keep rudder related things lubricated, I know they do. It is more geared towards is this an acceptable substitute for fixing a weepy rudder shaft
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #27
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Overgill

My 2 cents:

Someone with experience is going to have to chime in on the rationale of a zerk fitting below the waterline for patch job application.
I don't think I have ever been on a boat over 30' that DIDN"T have a zerk fitting on the stuffing box. Pump grease to it every 8 hours of operation was the norm.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

If the photo of the Fish Hawk is indicative of the over 30' boats you are talking about then I would say that is more on the commercial side. Could be that its more common in the commercial ranks. I am running a 32' trawler. and I have always been impressed with attention to detail regarding the running gear,i.e. bronze through hull fittings, backup wale bilge pump, manual backup tiller ect. Guess they missed that one.

My little bit of reading I did note in another forum a person having a problem getting grease into the fitting. It was recommended that he pull the system apart (rudder out) and clean
out the bushing. The assumption being the weep hole was blocked. As described the weep hole was like rifling spiraling down the fitting and terminating at the bottom. This tells me that it may not be a good idea to just add a zerk fitting to just any stuffing box. With out the weep hole it would not be able to purge.

Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse. I spent a bit of time looking and there is not a lot of info out there on this, even a search on this forum brings up very little. Just seems like a good thing to know about.

Thanks for the input
Old 01-06-2016, 10:20 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgill View Post
I had to look up "zerk fitting" never heard it called that.....
Here it`s called a grease nipple.
(Apologies to anyone excited by the "n" word, always assuming it slipped through the filter).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Nipples? Baited breath? Whatever is this site coming to?

This is mine, before...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2901.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	47980  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #31
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Correct, my bad for saying post. As an aside, a rudder bushing full of water proof grease doesnt need to "purge", just put more grease in about once a year. I have seen grease fittings in prop shaft bushings on slow speed boats. My trawler has them, my sporty doesnt as its water injected.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #32

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
My two cents question isn't does anybody use grease to help keep rudder related things lubricated, I know they do. It is more geared towards is this an acceptable substitute for fixing a weepy rudder shaft
It is not intended to be a permanent fix, though it can help stop a leak, especially when the rudder shaft is stationary.
ALL the old boats I have been on had this feature, many with a plate that encouraged daily service.
These boats hailed from a day when flax packing was designed to leak, and machining tolerances were not controlled with computer accuracy, thus many parts of any machine did not fit extremely well, and rattled about a bit.
If installed at the outset, and diligently maintained, it can extend the life of the system substantially by reducing wear and preventing accumulation of marine growth and preventing corrosion on the surfaces.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

This being a rudder fix with minimal movement and tittle to no heat concerns, you would have to believe that grease would by far be preferable to salt water. Be it a stuffing box or a dripless bearing. The grease would not only provide lubrication to the stuffing material or bearing/seal, its high viscosity will act as a stop to the water. Is that not the reason modern flax products are saturated with teflon or whatever there using these days.

Agreed If there are other issues i.e. bad bushings or scored shaft it is not the cure all but even in those cases it could buy you time to fix it right.

Anyway,,, thank you all great conversation, I have learned a lot here.