Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
A while back there was a detailed discussion about Kiwi Grip and other similar products, try looking it up in the archives.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #22

City: Sanctuary Cove, Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Eliza 1
Vessel Model: Halvorsen 42 Pilothouse
Try teakseal colorprotector ... I one it ... look at the result ... but you have to red or it every 3 - 4months ... depending on weather ... but it applies so easy .. just wiped it on with a cloth ... its not oily ..
Teakseal
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02337.jpg  
shipshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonygio View Post
I think I will follow your advice and leave the deck alone except for occasional mild soap and water.

I also need to give the flybridge deck some attention. The gelcoat is showing wear and worn through in a couple of spots. After looking around on the Internet, I found a product called Kiwigrip for resurfacing the entire flybridge deck. Have any of you had any experience with it?
I have only heard good things...no personal experience.

But for what it is and the price...I'd be tempted to use a lot of other products out there first. The last to catch my eye was at Home Depot as a deck/concrete covering. Only $30/gal or so. I may put some on my boat steps for a month or so and see how it looks and wears...if good...I'll do the decks.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have only heard good things...no personal experience.

But for what it is and the price...I'd be tempted to use a lot of other products out there first. The last to catch my eye was at Home Depot as a deck/concrete covering. Only $30/gal or so. I may put some on my boat steps for a month or so and see how it looks and wears...if good...I'll do the decks.

A sealer works better than oil or varnish on the non protect weather deck. I use Daily’s Seafin sealer. Dailys is thin like water so it can flow into the tiny grooves/crack and be absorbed into the wood, but it dries hard. Been using it for 14 years.

Each year I scrub the deck with a 3-M course grit wet sanding pad with a mild solution of deck cleaner from Lows/Home to get the dirt and scuff up the surface as sealer and oil does tend to collect dirt. Apply the sealer so flows/runs down the deck and fills in the tine cracks/spaces. 9 months of PNW rain and the water still beads.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote