Any information on IG SOLO 40 Pilothouse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happy Frog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Manaatti
Vessel Make
Nauticat 44 2006
Does anyone have information of IG SOLO 40 Pilothouse trawler yacht? Build quality? Seems to be quite rare.

Looking for a bit larger trawler than present and this looks interesting. My boat is just winterized and this is good therapy!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...pilot-3062875/

Attachments

• 82796256-1D67-48E7-9CB5-0328BAF02747.jpg
    82796256-1D67-48E7-9CB5-0328BAF02747.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 109
Interesting. If this is the from the same original company; Solos were the precursor to Selenes. We went on an early 2000s Selene five years ago when in the market for a new boat and, while it was marketed as a Selene, it still had Solo step plates.

You can see the recognizable circular window behind the PH even on this Solo. I am surprised it is a 2007 though as I thought Solo went to Selene totally. Maybe IG bought the brand - though having that window is quite a coincidence!

I can't tell you anything on the build etc. all I know is that when Solo went to Selene the quality went up considerably from what I read.

Last edited:
Someone on TF bought a boat very similar, 2008 build if memory serves, branded Halvorsen. From memory sold by Leigh Smith Yachts, Gold Coast, Queensland.
He posted in glowing terms, with some nice pics. A while later, he posted about his disappointment at structural rot caused by inadequate sealing or bedding of fixtures and said he would recommend buying a Halvorsen.
The link is not taking me to the boat, just to YW.
There should be a builders plate, which might tell you who built it. Island Gypsy was produced initially by a partnership between Halvorsen and Joseph Kong. Later ones might have been built by Jiang Hua in China, but I also saw a plate naming Yardway Marine as licensing the build of a Halvorsen 38 built in NSW State, Australia. I don`t think we worked out who built the boat, but I also recall that distinctive circular window.
Inspect and survey carefully.

Thanks for the information. You remember a lot of things. Let's hope the TF owner sees this thread and could give some additional information. The boat was earlier btw marketed with Halvorsen brand name.

Additional Description they give says:
- Hand laid G.R.P. solid skin bottom and superstructure; ASHLAND brand gelcoat; N.P.G. Isothalic
- Bottom skin laminates with vinylester resin. Minimum three layers of vinylester coated plies.
- Longitudinal stringers & transverse frame system, shaped using closed cell foam and encapsulated with e‐glass.
- 4 watertight compartments (chain locker, accommodation, engine room, and lazarette).
- The deck to hull seam is bolted, sealed with bonding adhesive and fiberglass bonding angles are applied to the inner seam.

Seems that there is a place for a a thorough survey.

solo 40 specs

Here is a document with the specs from the current builder?

Attachments

• Solo-40.pdf
    709.8 KB · Views: 59
Here is a document with the specs from the current builder?
Typical Halvorsen hull. Much like the Integrity 426 I`m interested in, easily mistaken for the IG40 it is based on.
I prefer the salon cabin to have seating both sides, but it`s not vital. Odd how the same/similar boat sells under multiple brands, eg Clipper boats sold here and North Pacific sold in USA.
Does the pilot house design suit? Another personal matter. Does it leave the operator lonely, or is the PH good for company?
Hull layup specs include vinylester, that`s good. Foam filled stringers, not so sure about that. Note these current specs may not fully apply to the present boat.
From memory, the boat sold here had a 480hp engine, seems it comes with Cummins of various sizes. I doubt it needs 480hp.

Thanks! Need to go and have a closer look.

Thanks! Need to go and have a closer look.
How did it go? Hope it ends better than my attempt to buy a similar parentage Integrity 426.

It didn't go. Winter came and things got frozen, also sales :) Let's see what happens in future. The boat is very rare and there was practically no information of user experiences available.

A sad example which emphasizes the importance of thorough surveys. Thanks for sharing this!

What a neat looking boat. Has a distinct ocean going look to it. I would go slowly before I purchase a brand that nobody has heard of. It could have a fatal flaw inherent in the make or construction.

Also it could have some "goofy" issues like voltage or plumbing things. Or some oddball engine that parts are non existent. Real head scratchers!

However, I Didn't say don't buy it. Just go slowly and rely on your surveyor

pete

What a neat looking boat. Has a distinct ocean going look to it. I would go slowly before I purchase a brand that nobody has heard of...
In Australia, Halvorsen is a brand everyone in boating knows. The real issue is who owns the brand these days and the build quality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom