Old 01-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #1

City: Summerside, PEI
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36
1990 Island Gypsy 36 Project Boat

Hi Everyone,
Working on bringing this neglected Gypsy back to life. I was lucky enough to stumble across this project boat and after a few minutes of research realized its potential! It has low hour Sabre L225ís and westerbeke 4.4kw Gen. All started right up with fresh fluids and ran smooth on the hard for a test run.

If anyone has any experience with this design I would appreciate suggestions on potential weak points to focus on. I already have a lengthy project list but donít want to miss anything while itís easy to work on in a heated shop beside my house!

One thing that I did run across is a lot of voids between the gel coat and the first layer of glass. Iím currently working through painting the hull and have had to repair 500+ air pockets. Itís an easy fix with epoxy but I havenít seen this before. Below the waterline I had it sandblasted and there are 1000ís of BB size holes that look like bubbles. Iím planning on using an epoxy fairing compound to do the entire hull before sealing it. Just wondering if this is something anyone else has run across and how they fixed it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	98243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4377.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	98244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5340.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	98245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	98246

Jeff.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #2

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
If they are tiny just sand them open. Let them dry for a while and your barrier coat should fill them.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Identical problem with my 85 IG. Blistering and IG's are synonymous it seems.

Barrier coat must be put over a solid surface. I started with hp power washer to take the top of the 1000's of BB bubbles. I then roughed the surface with 60G RO sander. Poked around with a pointed blade for days to remove what the washer missed. If I could see mat, I dremeled and sanded as needed. Then it's a simple (but time consuming) project of fill/fair/sand/coat/paint.

The faux planked hull was a real pain. I followed the cracks with a dremel until I reached solid bonded material. Then filled and faired. I used West with microballons. (not UV or waterproof so several primer coats advised) I put some tongue depressors to the belt sander and formed them to fit the groove. Made applying filler easier. Filler should be peanut butter consistency. (When you pull mixer out, the peaks of the filler should not fall over)

The key to success was sanding the edge of a piece of 3/8 plywood to the shape of the groove. I could then wrap a piece of sandpaper around the plywood and it was a perfect fit. It was then easy to blend the repair into the existing groove.

Note that the blisters are cosmetic. The boat isn't going to sink. IG had poor quality control. Many theories as to cause. Poor mix ratio, high humidity, cheap chemicals, shoddy workmanship, nothing definitive. I installed a through hull and the hull is thick and solid. I have no concerns about seaworthiness.

(I can post pics if needed)
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Congrats on your new boat. We have a 1996 36' IG Classic (aft cabin) hull build number 135. Curious what your hull number is? We did not have any bottom work per say. However lots of other issues with interior leaks. All I can say is after putting our boat back in order we really like owning it. They are great boats hope you enjoy yours. John and Miri.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

City: Summerside, PEI
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36
Thanks for the replyís! Itís nice to know that the air bubbles or gaps between the glass and gel coat are common and cosmetic.

The faux planks make the hull look amazing especially once painted. However they are an absolute pain to work with. I can see how they missed a few spots or had the glass pull and lift around them when some poor guy was in the mould rolling out the first layer.

The boat is Hull #114. This boat has aluminum windows but several leaked and also damaged the interior. Some wood work and new floor in the salon are on the project list. One of the first things I did on the boat was remove every window and re-bed them with fresh 4200.
Jeff.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Keep up the good work! Believe it or not the fact I worked so long and hard on putting our boat back in shape has made me appreciate it even more. You will learn a lot and have the opportunity to upgrade many systems. Our holding tank and waste line system were horrible, the tank had metal fittings about ready to fail. Every boat is a work in progress. The end result will be worth it.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh?