Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
You have been thanked!

The "You have been thanked" feature is trite and overused. I believe that a public "attaboy", "right-on", "thumbs up" or similar, posted to the same thread as the thanked post would be more meaningful and a lot easier for the recipient than the use of the thank button.

I have never thanked someone privately using the thank button. I know that it is easy to use, takes just a second and in almost all cases the recipient appreciates it, at least I do when I get them.

But it is a PITA for the recipient. Here is how it works: You get a Message Notification in the upper right hand corner of the page when you are on Trawler Forum. If you are not on the forum and even if you do read it immediately (which turns off the notification) you get an email saying that you have been thanked and it gives a link to the relevant posting.

To read the thanked message, which in almost every case contains nothing personal from the thanker, you go into the private message section, click on the message, read it, and then go back to the forum. It takes about 10 seconds, maybe double that to read the accompanying email- not a lot, but this is the internet age so seconds count.

So, my suggestion is: try to post a thank you to the thread that the posting originated in. This has the added benefit of telling other readers that you consider the posting good. Or at the very least when you hit the thank button, write something personal such as why you liked it.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The "You have been thanked" feature is trite and overused. I believe that a public "attaboy", "right-on", "thumbs up" or similar, posted to the same thread as the thanked post would be more meaningful and a lot easier for the recipient than the use of the thank button.

I have never thanked someone privately using the thank button. I know that it is easy to use, takes just a second and in almost all cases the recipient appreciates it, at least I do when I get them.

But it is a PITA for the recipient. Here is how it works: You get a Message Notification in the upper right hand corner of the page when you are on Trawler Forum. If you are not on the forum and even if you do read it immediately (which turns off the notification) you get an email saying that you have been thanked and it gives a link to the relevant posting.

To read the thanked message, which in almost every case contains nothing personal from the thanker, you go into the private message section, click on the message, read it, and then go back to the forum. It takes about 10 seconds, maybe double that to read the accompanying email- not a lot, but this is the internet age so seconds count.

So, my suggestion is: try to post a thank you to the thread that the posting originated in. This has the added benefit of telling other readers that you consider the posting good. Or at the very least when you hit the thank button, write something personal such as why you liked it.

David

Old 10-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I use the App 95% of the time so I don't even see them.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I agree. Thank you!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

It also leads to all sorts of junk mail and spammers that piggyback along into my email. PB&MY is really bad in this respect.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Why don't you just send the TF Mail to spam? That's what I do and never get one email from TF.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I get quite a few of them that contain info that others may find less than flattering when they thank me for posting what others wouldn't.

So for some of the more quiet or polite types it seems useful.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Personally, I think the thanks button misses the point entirely, and should be replaced with an actual LIKE button (as in Facebook) or FAVORITE button (as in twitter).

I almost never want to privately thank someone for making a post. I want to publicly agree with their post without a "me too", ", "+1" or other such useless reply. In long threads, I may want to do it to more than one post as well.

Quote:
I get quite a few of them that contain info that others may find less than flattering when they thank me for posting what others wouldn't.

So for some of the more quiet or polite types it seems useful.
This is valuable, but can still be achieved with private messages.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Guru

So it makes it easier for people...links in the specific post they are talking about...and gives the sender the option of privacy if it's desired.

If you want to directly post an "I agree", "thank you", or anything else for that matter if you want everyone to see it...then just go ahead....
Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So it makes it easier for people...links in the specific post they are talking about.
Not following.... if I like a post (or comment) on Facebook, the like is directly tied to that content. Similarly, if I favorite a tweet.

The Thanks button is once per thread too. So if someone else makes a fantastic point -- maybe even better than the original thanked post -- so sorry. Too bad.

Quote:
If you want to directly post an "I agree", "thank you", or anything else for that matter if you want everyone to see it...then just go ahead....
Sure, because that's the only option currently. But I don't think it's the best option. These posts clutter the conversation, and make the thread more difficult to navigate or catch up on.

I belong to a bunch of forums, email distribution lists, and Facebook groups. The easiest UI to navigate, participate in, and comment is Facebook. By far.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
Not following.... if I like a post (or comment) on Facebook, the like is directly tied to that content. Similarly, if I favorite a tweet.

The Thanks button is once per thread too. So if someone else makes a fantastic point -- maybe even better than the original thanked post -- so sorry. Too bad.

Sure, because that's the only option currently. But I don't think it's the best option. These posts clutter the conversation, and make the thread more difficult to navigate or catch up on.

I belong to a bunch of forums, email distribution lists, and Facebook groups. The easiest UI to navigate, participate in, and comment is Facebook. By far.
Ya got me...I know nothing or very little about Facebook....
Old 10-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Ya got me...I know nothing or very little about Facebook....
Facebook seems to be a place for loose cannons to expound all kinds of social and political issues. More recently, they have stuffed it with worthless ads.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Guru

I like Facebook to see what my kids are up to...other than that...couldn't tell you a thing.

But it seems like I avoided another fad like so many as I hear more and more of my friends pulling back from it.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: gulf coast
Equally useful would be a button with the opposite meaning. Several suggestions for what to all it come to mind .
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

Facebook has problems, no doubt. The content on it being just one of them. And I wasn't suggesting that TF truly become Facebook.

I just think that one thing that you can't deny is that Facebook is very good at engaging it's users, and I think some of their techniques should be incorporated.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I like the "you have been thanked" but most don't say much.

I also like the like button like FB idea. How-a-bout a boo button too. I'd get boo'd I'm sure and maybe I'd know better when to shut up. But I do like getting thanked. What are the chances of getting a like and boo button?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I like the "you have been thanked" but most don't say much.

I also like the like button like FB idea. How-a-bout a boo button too. I'd get boo'd I'm sure and maybe I'd know better when to shut up. But I do like getting thanked. What are the chances of getting a like and boo button?
My mail box is already full. I'd have to clean it out regularly if there were a "Boo" button...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I think the only button we may be missing is the "Yawn" button (or smilie) to push when a poster's contribution is predictably negative, if you know what I mean.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I think the only button we may be missing is the "Yawn" button (or smilie) to push when a poster's contribution is predictably negative, if you know what I mean.
That's what the ignore feature is for

Only used it once, and it's still working to my satisfaction