You have all been thanked.

.....waiting for the FU button.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I have received 4 thanks so far since posting this thread 10 hours ago. All with none or meaningless comments. I guess that proves my point that the thank button is worthless or that TF members are childish. Probably both.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #24

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I have received 4 thanks so far since posting this thread 10 hours ago. All with none or meaningless comments. I guess that proves my point that the thank button is worthless or that TF members are childish. Probably both.

David
I wish I could thank you again for this post, but alas....
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"TF members are childish..."

You know me too well!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
Jeeez, David, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..?

Just kidding, but ok…we get the message. What about if I take it higher up re adding a 'like' button, rather than removing the thanks button. There are times when that is nice - whenever I have received one of those there is usually a comment added as to why, which is good, and I would encourage any who use the 'thanks' button to add something personal. However, a 'like' button would probably satisfy those who would like to make a favouable comment, but don't feel inclined to enlarge on it. I am pretty sure we would pass on the 'boo' or 'yawn' button idea however…

I can't make any promises - not sure how difficult it would be. Watch this space...
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #27
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #28

Like!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What's the big deal? Effort to revise isn't worth it.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b2g.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
My mail box is already full. I'd have to clean it out regularly if there were a "Boo" button...

You can configure your account to exclude PM notifications of thanks.

>user CP >> edit options >> (make change) >>> scroll and save.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #32
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Often I'll add a personal Thanks to a post that strikes a particular nerve with me.

When I comment, it's to add to a conversion versus a "me too" (but then again I'm verbal) or more accurately: I run on at the fingers! [You might have figured that out by now.]

Personally, I love getting the "Thanks" ... being recognized by peers is quite pleasant.

TrawlerForum has a setting (found in the Control Panel) to shut down stuff that irritates you. You can also refuse all private messages, along with email notifications of such.

Suggestion: Stop putting the stuff into spam. You've opted in, so opt out from the source.

Marking stuff like PM notices as Spam will cause the services (google, yahoo, msn) to dump all email from TF or any other place you've marked as Spam. That irks those of us who want the stuff. It's also a nightmare for the site itself!

Side Note: Getting a domain Black-Listed is a real pain to overcome and of course the sender is presumed Guilty. In the 1990s I had a few email lists. One was selling books, plus a couple of for-fun crafting ones. Keeping them legit when subscribers kneecap you by marking the emails as Spam after they've subscribed is a pain in the transom.

I'm on a BST list (Buy-Sell-Trade for trawlers) and about 50% of the time the letters end up in Spam. Somebody didn't bother to unsubscribe. Argh!

In my opinion.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What's the big deal? Effort to revise isn't worth it.
I write software for a living, but that means I get to sit in on marketing and analytics meetings quite often.

The "worth" in the effort would be to increase user engagement.

There's a concept called the 90-9-1 rule where 90% of a communities users simply lurk, 9% occasionally post, and 1% frequently post. This rule has been observed over many years, and over many different online communities.

But today it really doesn't apply well to many social media platforms, and is in fact closer to 70-20-10

The interesting question is why. It seems nobody really knows, but there are definite psychological aspects in play. People like being validated, and they like having their views appreciated -- being "like'd" caters to that.

Now, as for TrawlerForum in particular -- I think the 90-10-1 rule is probably pretty close to the truth (maybe the mod's have data to prove/disprove?). But I also don't think it's a problem, as the community appears to be thriving.

In short, it doesn't really matter if a like button appears or not.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
So a little history about the Thanks feature... we used to have a native (to the forum software) function called "reputation"

Basically it worked a bit like the Facebook like button and posters could rack up points for receiving reputation "hits". We found that a few posters made point accrual a contest and that as there a function to give negative reputation, it could be used in very negative ways - and all anonymously. Frankly it creates a bad vibe on a forum and so the thanks feature was devised. It's intended to be positive and allow for some extra communication in a more private way. it also stopped the endless posts to a thread that simply said "thanks".

The Facebook like button is pretty common and folks are comfortable with it but a forum can be so much more than Facebook. More searchable, a better reference, building community, etc. Facebook serves a good purpose and can be fun and useful but we aren't Facebook; do we really need to emulate that model and lose a more personal way to communicate?
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We're trawlerites! We want it all.

Can we have the Like button and the Thanks feature?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #36

Please understand that I think TF is a very well run, designed, and managed forum. I don't think it is broken by any stretch. This is just an interesting topic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
...and so the thanks feature was devised. It's intended to be positive and allow for some extra communication in a more private way. it also stopped the endless posts to a thread that simply said "thanks".
And to that end, I think the Thanks button was very successful.

I think a like button will stop posts to a thread that simply say "I agree".

Is that an epidemic? Not in my opinion, but it does happen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The Facebook like button is pretty common and folks are comfortable with it but a forum can be so much more than Facebook. More searchable, a better reference, building community, etc. Facebook serves a good purpose and can be fun and useful but we aren't Facebook; do we really need to emulate that model and lose a more personal way to communicate?
A more personal way to communicate is fine.

No, TF should not try to be Facebook. Neither should it be Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, or Google+. But one feature that is shared among every single one of those platforms? Favoriting/Liking someone else's content.

To avoid the reputation problem, the like/favorite button should be tied to a POST, not a MEMBER. That is a very important distinction, in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think MAYBE the likes should be presented on the post. As in little green spots or ?

Some to quite a few people send me thanks but it's usually re some technical discussion and point of view. Sometimes it's on a post that the thinker probably thinks he'd be seen in a negative light if he agreed w me. I frequently talk about unpopular things and in a positive way so agreeing w me "on the board" would/could be awkward.

I thought the "thanks" feature was kinda silly/stupid as one could just PM his thanks anytime to anybody. But one had to sort of "open a door" to do the private msg whereas the "Thanks" feature says "you're invited to do this and here's how. MUCH more inviting.

I think the "Thanks" feature should be kept and I'm now going to thank Janice142 for her input. I really like her posts.

I was joking about the Boo button but sure wish there was one ..

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Omg, how did this become an issue. Well, I like it just as it is. If you don't want notifications, that's easy enough. Personally, I don't expect thanks but I do appreciate them when received, whether with or without a message. Then sometimes it leads to private messages too. Heck, I just wish there was a "You're welcome" button to hit. I mean really I do my thing, not for some accolades or thanks, but if I get one, then I just mentally say, "you're welcome" and I move on.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #39
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. mk.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #40
Enigma

Greetings,
I receive thanks occasionally and the odd time there IS a text/explanation to which I usually respond in a PM. I seldom reply as in post #'s 30 and 39. I did so to make my point. My point being, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't like being thanked-fine. Do as suggested and block them.
It has also been pointed out to me that my "Welcome aboard" posts are simply frivolous and too frequent and the vast majority of my 4200+ posts are just two words. To these detractors I ask...When you meet someone new isn't the FIRST thing you say something like..."Hiya, how ya doin'...good to meet you. Same deal here IMO.
I frequently take some time finding just the right GIF to post as I feel it both amuses AND conveys more than mere words.