vccs.edu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
While on TF, nowhere else, I`m getting messages saying vccs.edu is asking me to confirm my user name and password. A search suggests the organization is a US University.
What`s going on? My online security services report no threats.

Virginia Community College seems a bit remedial for you Bruce. Sounds like your computer has been sleeping around.

Virginia Community College seems a bit remedial for you Bruce. Sounds like your computer has been sleeping around.
Thanks Craig, not on my watch but with current threats, you can`t be too careful. It`s on TF only, I wondered if TF had some research relationship with vccs? Less happily, maybe someone hacked the vccs.edu site or "borrowed" the name?
I`m sure Janet will tell us if any arrangement exists. Clicking links on TF can take you anywhere, that`s cause for caution, and not something TF can control.

I encountered the same thing on TF. Something it wrong, but I don't now what.

Same here, within the last 20 minutes. Glad you all shared this, thanks.

Jeff

Me too.

I didn't really read it and tried to log in with my Trawler Forum Id and it didn't work.

C`mon Janet, what`s going on? There could be a serious issue here, there are 15000 TF members using computers, it needs a good look.

Found the same thing this morning when I opened TF.
Of course I'm not logging into anything I didn't ask for, especially a random site popping up here or anywhere else.

Will be following to see what the TF admins/techies figure out.

Greetings,
Same thing yesterday. I immediately checked my virus software (all OK) and ran a Malware scan (came back clean). Scared the bee-jeepers out of me in light of the current hacking debacle.

200.gif

It has happened to me a few times too and what is confusing to me is that I actually work for the Virginia Community College System as an adjunct professor.

I, however, have never seen nor do I use a log in that looks like what we are seeing here.

And there is nothing on my computer related to them. All my courses are on their servers in Richmond.

I'm thinking this is a bit of unwanted adware and fairly harmless but can investigate. We don't see any signs of a problem with the board...

Can you help us out and post a screen shot and some browser info and more detail about when this is happening?

Is it a popup or overlay screen?
Does it happen before or after you login to the board?

One thing you could do is a scan with malwarebytes (free download version). it's especially good at removing ad related garbage and tracking cookies. These aren't really viruses and many security scheme ignore them, but they can cause this sort of problem.

I just sent you a screen shot. It popped up on my iPad when I went to respond to a post. I hit cancel and it disappears.

I just sent you a screen shot. It popped up on my iPad when I went to respond to a post. I hit cancel and it disappears.

Thanks - anyone seeing this on another device? or the app?

Have not encountered anything buggy on the App for a long while. I'll try Safari.

Edit

IMG_1151.jpg

Clean

I think we've found the issue and sorted it out. There were a couple of images that were linked to that were behind a firewall. The page was trying to access them and putting up that prompt. We've stripped out the images. I don't think this was malware or anything untoward just a member goof. A couple of page refreshes should remove the login box for you.

That`s reassuring. I don`t know the protocols, but it might be a courtesy for TF to tell vccs.edu that someone is misusing their site name to request information which has the potential for negative results for TF members.

I Share Your Concern And Want To Assist

Greetings!

I'm David Harrison, the Chief Information Security Officer for the Virginia Community College System (VCCS), and have seen the postings regarding a pop up login request asking for credentials. I've joined this forum with the single purpose of getting to get to the bottom of this and assisting in its resolution. I've seen the screen shots provided (Thank You!) but I'm still curious as to the origination of such a login screen. In lieu of further clogging up entries in your Trawler Forum, I would welcome anyone forum administrator to contact me . I apologize that you're seeing this but I can assure you that the VCCS doesn't use tactics like this. With all of the recent ransomware and phishing for personally identifiable information activities going on, I applaud the members of this community for their detective work in this effort!

Dave Harrison
Chief Information Security Officer
Virginia Community College System
Richmond, VA

Last edited by a moderator:
By the silence,it seems no-one is seeing this phenomenon any more. I`m guessing some smartie used the vccs.edu name because it sounded legit, to ask in an odd way for sign ins and passwords, perhaps for TF, perhaps for users computers.
Fortunately it seems to have gone away. Is Admin happy the problem is fixed? It it happened once, it could happen again.

I don't think folks need to make more of this than they should. The explanation offered below is very plausible--a simple mistake.

Safe-computing practices are always good but we don't need to be overlay-paranoid, regardless of what we see in the popular media.

I think we've found the issue and sorted it out. There were a couple of images that were linked to that were behind a firewall. The page was trying to access them and putting up that prompt. We've stripped out the images. I don't think this was malware or anything untoward just a member goof. A couple of page refreshes should remove the login box for you.

. I don't think this was malware or anything untoward just a member goof.

What exactly is a member goof?

Calling something a member goof is basically an innuendo.

Furthermore, an understanding of what happened would help to ensure against a future occurrence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom