Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Trawler database

What I'd love to see on TF is a database of the members boats.

I'm imagining a standard form where the members input their boat details, such as make, age, LOA, LWL, beam, draft, engine type & hours, cruising and top speed, fuel usage, tank sizes, navigation equipment, anchor type, generator, etc.

Maybe include standard photo links to overall boat, hull, rudder, interior, bilge, galley.
Perhaps also the owners #1 likes and dislikes of their boat.

It would be a great tool for researching and comparing different types of boats to buy, rather than scrolling through endless half-truths on for-sale websites. Much of this info is already posted on TF, but it takes a lot of searching to find it. It would be great to see it in one place.

I don't know whether a database format would work in the existing TF setup, or how much work this would involve, but I thought I would ask the question.

AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yes I see what you mean. True....that would indeed be a data base. Good idea.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
If a separate data base will not work on TF perhaps the information could be put in a person's viewable profile. Not everyone will want to do this, most likely, but a fair number of members might.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Trawler Forum - Members List

The member list above covers some of the data points you desire. The problem with it is the limited amount of data it currently provides is further limited by individual member participation. I agree that a more extensive database is a great idea.

The list is available in the "Community" link in the red bar at the top of the page. Left click your mouse on it and a drop down menu appears. "Members List" is at the bottom of the drop down menu. Left click on it to open.

EDIT: There is also a woefully under utilized album section in that drop down menu.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Out of interest just tried that member list Craig. It is a real pain to use. It is alphabetical, and although one can jump to any particular letter, and each letter has umpteen pages anyway, so finding any specific member is a nightmare. I gave up trying to find myself, so that's an indication of its user friendliness, I guess.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I gave up trying to find myself, so that's an indication of its user friendliness, I guess.
I just did the same thing, Peter. Had the same results too! I do like the idea of a TF data base though.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'm sure we can do a work around with the current list as I agree it is not user friendly. The demonstration was meant to illustrate how dependent any list would be on user supplied data in their profile. Let's face it, after the majority of folks sign up they seldom update their user profiles.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #8

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Craig,

I tried to figure out how to use those albums, but never quite got it, and I work on computers most of the day. The Help was not helpful at all.
Would be nice if someone who really "gets it" could write up a simple step by step short tutorial on how to set up a couple of them.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
....Last year I inserted a full album with pictures from Rainha Jannota's construction and I do not know where it is nor how to find it.

I can survive without it.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm sure we can do a work around with the current list as I agree it is not user friendly. The demonstration was meant to illustrate how dependent any list would be on user supplied data in their profile. Let's face it, after the majority of folks sign up they seldom update their user profiles.
Maybe the user profile could include an optional "detailed data section" and it would be included in the list only if this is completed. This would eliminate scrolling through pages of blank data.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Guru

I miss the simplicity of the photo album on the old forum. True....it wasn't organized, but it was fun to page through. Such a trawler database would be a powerful resource and would make the forum the authority to go to for such info. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the way it is.....just sayin.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Under the user profile you can up load pictures and provide data if a person wanted to. So maybe the profile is the place for store pictures data. They could use the forum membership to see boats they want to know about they can click on the user name.

We use to go to a lot of boat functions, trawlerfest, boat shows, gather etc where we open up the boat and we had a hand out/flyer that gives specification and a lay out of the boat n a standard 8 X 11 page. We were not always a condo queen. However the pictures up load are too small to read the print. Again maybe use the user profile with a feature to enlarge picture capability. Maybe the capability is there and we do not know how to use it.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Folks just sit tight for a bit on this we are looking at some solutions to meet this request (which is an excellent suggestion).
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
What about a google maps mash up that would show locations of home ports? This way, we could see who is near us, make contacts, and do group outings if desired. Plus would be great in terms of looking out for each other during foul weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-83344272.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	18197  

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
Guru

Ben: We have such an Ap at Krogen Cruisers. With membership to the ap it will show you where all the other other member Krogens are. Most are joining now. Very handy when looking for buddies nearby or already in anchorages you are headed for.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
....Last year I inserted a full album with pictures from Rainha Jannota's construction and I do not know where it is nor how to find it.

I can survive without it.
You mean this?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/m...5-albums5.html

Hmmm. I now notice that people do not typically have albums in their profiles. I only have a few myself.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Hmmm. I now notice that people do not typically have albums in their profiles. I only have a few myself.
....and without re inventing the TF Database, that just might be an excellent place to start!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote