Is It Time For Another "Hall of Famer?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never be so forward or uncouth as to suggest forms of payment for my vote. I think each nominee should leave that to his (or her) imagination.:whistling:

John Baker: founding father, pilot, profiteer after selling TF for an exorbitant amount of money to the highest bidder!! :thumb:

Did you just call Baker your daddy??? :lol::smitten::lol:

Marin I'm deeply honored by your nomination and think that I do conform to all but 3 attributes mentioned.

#2 "2. He has more boating experience (by which I mean recreational boating) than 99.999 percent of the participants on this forum." Opps. It looks like I have led Marin astray here. I talk a lot and don't knowingly tell lies but I've done less than 1000hrs in the last 7 years. My experience as Captain is, I'm afraid only average.

#10 " He has deservedly earned the respect of everyone here, I think, even those who disagree with him at times." Yes and no. I think most do respect me but there are quite a few that don't and they don't like me either. I know though that a few have gone from dislike to like but to paint a picture of "loved by all" would be seriously misleading.

#12 "He has a 4.0 average on his Civil Discourse tests." Even I have criticized myself on this just recently regarding a post I made re Mark. And I have intentionally been acidic at times and (to some) and quite critical on many occasions. On this score Mark is by far the better man. Lots of people give Mark lots of flack but he's unflappable.

As to the other 11 (or so) attributes generally I conform. The recognition I've already received by this nomination and supportive comments will be enough for me but if this goes any further I'll try to mend my faults and measure up on all else. Thank you all.

Is it required than HOF folks use a picture of themselves in their avatar?
You see I'm already measuring up. If it turns out to be down I promise I'll reinstate Willy to her usual throne.

Eric--- I don't think experience in the true sense of the word should be measured by time alone. I think it should be measured by what a person does and how they do it. Time is a factor but I'm sure we all know people who have done a job for a lifetime and are still not very good at it.

You and I have had our disagreements in the past, some of them pretty strong. But while we may disagree on some aspect of aesthetics or aerodynamics that does not change the fact you have done more--- certainly in the maritime environment---than I could even dream of doing myself. To not respect that and the person who did it would be truly foolish on my part.

And while I have no clue how anybody else on this forum regards you, I would find it hard to understand how anyone could feel differently than I do.

I will agree, however, that Mark certainly deserves the Tolerance, Patience, and Civility award. I don't know how he does it in the face of some of the crap that flies around here at times. If Trawler Forum was a boat, Mark would be the keel that keeps it all upright.:)

I will agree, however, that Mark certainly deserves the Tolerance, Patience, and Civility award. I don't know how he does it in the face of some of the crap that flies around here at times. If Trawler Forum was a boat, Mark would be the keel that keeps it all upright.:)

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

Coincidentally, (as far as tolerance, patience, and civility goes) my current (but soon to change) avatar shows me and a Canadian carrying a honey pot containing about 40 person/days of #2.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, (as far as tolerance, patience, and civility goes) my current (but soon to change avatar) shows me and a Canadian carrying a honey pot containing about 40 person/days of #2.

:lol::lol::trash:Very funny!

Is it required than HOF folks use a picture of themselves in their avatar?

No, Eric...It's not required. As you know, that would put RT in a rather delicate spot. (Working for the CIA and all.)

Last edited:
Definitately add my vote for Mark! :thumb:

I second, (or would that be third or fourth) both of the above, Mark and Marin.
Oh, and raise it one by nominating the one and only Manyboats (and too many anchors), Eric....

Ahhhhh....bugger....missed there was a page 2 already, (AGAIN) anyway, like Marin said...saves me repeating it all..and he's right Eric, so just accept the accolades and shut up....

Last edited:
I second, (or would that be third or fourth) both of the above, Mark and Marin.
Oh, and raise it one by nominating the one and only Manyboats (and too many anchors), Eric....

If there's a Hall of Infamy I might qualify. Otherwise, I'm thinking not.:)

Eric--- I don't think experience in the true sense of the word should be measured by time alone. I think it should be measured by what a person does and how they do it. Time is a factor but I'm sure we all know people who have done a job for a lifetime and are still not very good at it.

You and I have had our disagreements in the past, some of them pretty strong. But while we may disagree on some aspect of aesthetics or aerodynamics that does not change the fact you have done more--- certainly in the maritime environment---than I could even dream of doing myself. To not respect that and the person who did it would be truly foolish on my part.

And while I have no clue how anybody else on this forum regards you, I would find it hard to understand how anyone could feel differently than I do.

:iagree: with every word above :thumb: :thumb:

I look forward to meeting Mark soon. Eric and I have shared perhaps 100+ private messages and detailed e-mails too numerous to count. I'd like to meet him someday as well.

I have learned much from all the members input on this forum. Eric however has taken it to a new level by sharing much of his insight with me about boat design, construction, propulsion systems and just practical knowledge through often exhaustive and time consuming e-mail exchanges. Really has been quite a mentor to me in all honesty. The photographs and links provided led to even more reams of info has been invaluable in helping me determine the boat that is right for me at this point in my life.

All the nominees put forth so far are completely worthy of the Hall of fame moniker in my opinion.

Greetings,
OK, all y'all just hold your horses here. Seems like a bunch of pseudo-normal people joining me. Well, I suppose there's always ONE crazy uncle RT in every family...so carry on.

Originally Posted by GonzoF1
From where I sit, it should be Marin for record participation. Nary a thread is out of his reach. With over 8500 posts, he dwarfs all others members by many thousands.

Maybe we should consider quality rather than quantity. There used to be an old saying: "He likes nothing better than the sound of his own voice."

Bob

I agree the person we should honor is the person/persons that host this site!

I sort of analyzing the number and who rely this year. The Average replies gets 20 to 30 views. About a dozen members do 50 to 60% of the replies, another dozen does 25 to 30% of the replies. So voting by the number of post, and length of replies? :confused:

The members I consistently read and learn from this year are: Eric for sharing his trip South. Daddy for share Hurricane Sandy and his cruising. Both have one of the longest topics for replies, views and length of time.

So my vote this year is between Eric and Daddyo for sharing. :thumb:

So my vote this year is between Eric and Daddyo for sharing. :thumb:
A "split" ticket! (Interesting, but not a vote in this case.) We need votes for one person.

Dang, Walt. What did you go and do that for? Only one vote! We have many worthies even if Eric did move when he learned that I may come to spend a month with him.:D It is very difficult for me to vote for one when others are just as deserving. In the words of Jimmy Buffet, "indecision may or may not be my problem".:confused:

It is very difficult for me to vote for one when others are just as deserving.

I know what you mean Don but don't you think we need a clear winner? I can see it now, Antonio Serabochi has 133&3/4 To Spiegle Ratkoff's 133&7/8. Now, in this case Spiegle is the clear winner unless someone sues for a recount. I'm trying to head off a situation like that at the pass!:banghead:

Actually we don't Walt. You must be the personality type that needs things DECIDED. J type personality.

I'm the opposite. I prefer to keep my options OPEN. Once things are decided it's game over.

Last edited:
Any inquiries regarding my vote should contact me via PM, bids are closing soon-ish. ;)

Any inquiries regarding my vote should contact me via PM, bids are closing soon-ish. ;)

OK - I've been sitting around all afternoon waiting for offers of chocolate, hot cars, fabulous trips, etc in return for acquiring my vote for just one new Hall of Famer, but alas none have arrived. Carry on... ;)

Janet,

That's what you get for hang'in out w trawler trash.

A boater whose idea of the perfect boat is a gigantic racing sloop.

Thanks, Marin but I think Eric is still researching the subject.:popcorn:

Greetings,
Ms. Janet. Due to distances involved this is the best I could do.....

Twinkie%20Cake%20with%202003%20Chateau%20de%20Myrat-2_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg
Now that's class! It's also the benchmark for future HOF inductees.

Walt,
Read the book (Please Understand Me). It's based on the Carl Jung studies of personalities. J types are planners and they like things decided.

P types are more interested in the process and the journey. They prefer a state of undecidedness. The only way to insure that there are options and/or possibilities.

What J and P stand for is misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom