Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I nominate John baker, founder and first moderator of TF. Without John, where would we go to get all this info. (some of it valid ) Where would we have the fun we are having and not have to show up in person to defend ourselves, or to submit proof of an obviously questionable post. This forum has had a dramatic effect on many of us (with no real lives ) and the guy who started it all should be enshrined in the Hall, along with Groucho (err.. RT, no one knows his real name!)

John has been the George Washington of trawler Forum and should be lauded for it.

Mr. moderator & I yield the rest of my time to the gentlewoman known as Pineapple girl.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. A little triscadecaphobia there? Hmmm.....Not on TF for the "usual" reasons? Researching as suggested by Mr. Rambler? Thinks GB's are not pleasing to the eye but has one anyway? Pragmatic? Probably. Hmmm.....8000+ posts but still gets paid?...
Moving right along. I concur with all of the suggestions thus far but some may be insulted or put off by being associated in any way shape or form with yours truly and I can FULLY appreciate THAT sentiment.
I do not have the photographic expertise of Mr. Mark, nor his regal demeanor as evidenced by his last post showing him addressing the great mass of the unwashed nor have I ever been accused of being courteous or possessing social manners.
I do not, or will ever have, anything approaching Mr. Eric's experience although I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.
Though I am honored and indeed humbled by my OWN title Mr. SH, may I suggest another "Hall" where the suggested members could enjoy their own kind and not linked to my particular delusions.
League of founding father's.....Old boy's club.....Not to minimize the contributions of our fairer members, perhaps a more generic "Hall"...Suggestion?????? Play nice now kids!
All that being said, Hall of Fame is still fine with me. Majority rules (Except in FL)

Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Guru

RT: That last post is precisely why I nominated you to the Hall over 2 years ago. Well said (and very witty and funny!)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #24

RT, where did you go to school? I'd like my kids to apply there.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. mahal. Schooling had little to do with my current afflictions. School is vastly overrated. I think your kids will be just fine as long as the "brainwashing" doesn't take. Uh oh, this is straying into OTDE territory. I'll stop there.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'm voting for Mark because he has a single-engine boat and a Bruce anchor.
Good point. At least we know that Mark will be around to enjoy the benefits of the award since his boat will be spared the unleashing of hordes of rabbid deadheads to sink those of us with twin engine boats.

PS--- Eric has a single-engine boat, too.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Mr. moderator & I yield the rest of my time to the gentlewoman known as Pineapple girl.
Thank you kind sir. I can't imagine choosing between all these fine nominees! Are we only allowed to select one?
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Ooooh...now I'm kinda liking that John Baker nomination.

Let's see....

Mark Pierce: Good guy, single-engine Sail-tug driver, bruce anchor, retiree, lots of pictures (which I accredit to the lovely Perla, but Mark earns extra credit for his great taste in shoeless women! )

John Baker: founding father, pilot, profiteer after selling TF for an exorbitant amount of money to the highest bidder!!

I'm from Chicago where we voted early and often. I don't believe in that today, but I do believe that I can be convinced by other means (ifyaknowwhatImean!! ) I can't decide right now, but am open to all bribes and other forms of vote taking persuasions.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Are we only allowed to select one?
You can nominate as many as you wish, however, as previously stated, a short treatise must accompany each nominee.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Mark Pierce: Good guy, single-engine Sail-tug driver, bruce anchor, retiree, lots of pictures (which I accredit to the lovely Perla, but Mark earns extra credit for his great taste in shoeless women! )
... I can't decide right now, but am open to all bribes and other forms of vote taking persuasions.
Al, you forgot "senatorial." ... Do I need to treat you to an Italian restaurant meal this Saturday?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I would never be so forward or uncouth as to suggest forms of payment for my vote. I think each nominee should leave that to his (or her) imagination.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #32
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

John Baker: founding father, pilot, profiteer after selling TF for an exorbitant amount of money to the highest bidder!!

Did you just call Baker your daddy???
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin I'm deeply honored by your nomination and think that I do conform to all but 3 attributes mentioned.

#2 "2. He has more boating experience (by which I mean recreational boating) than 99.999 percent of the participants on this forum." Opps. It looks like I have led Marin astray here. I talk a lot and don't knowingly tell lies but I've done less than 1000hrs in the last 7 years. My experience as Captain is, I'm afraid only average.

#10 " He has deservedly earned the respect of everyone here, I think, even those who disagree with him at times." Yes and no. I think most do respect me but there are quite a few that don't and they don't like me either. I know though that a few have gone from dislike to like but to paint a picture of "loved by all" would be seriously misleading.

#12 "He has a 4.0 average on his Civil Discourse tests." Even I have criticized myself on this just recently regarding a post I made re Mark. And I have intentionally been acidic at times and (to some) and quite critical on many occasions. On this score Mark is by far the better man. Lots of people give Mark lots of flack but he's unflappable.

As to the other 11 (or so) attributes generally I conform. The recognition I've already received by this nomination and supportive comments will be enough for me but if this goes any further I'll try to mend my faults and measure up on all else. Thank you all.

Is it required than HOF folks use a picture of themselves in their avatar?
You see I'm already measuring up. If it turns out to be down I promise I'll reinstate Willy to her usual throne.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Eric--- I don't think experience in the true sense of the word should be measured by time alone. I think it should be measured by what a person does and how they do it. Time is a factor but I'm sure we all know people who have done a job for a lifetime and are still not very good at it.

You and I have had our disagreements in the past, some of them pretty strong. But while we may disagree on some aspect of aesthetics or aerodynamics that does not change the fact you have done more--- certainly in the maritime environment---than I could even dream of doing myself. To not respect that and the person who did it would be truly foolish on my part.

And while I have no clue how anybody else on this forum regards you, I would find it hard to understand how anyone could feel differently than I do.

I will agree, however, that Mark certainly deserves the Tolerance, Patience, and Civility award. I don't know how he does it in the face of some of the crap that flies around here at times. If Trawler Forum was a boat, Mark would be the keel that keeps it all upright.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I will agree, however, that Mark certainly deserves the Tolerance, Patience, and Civility award. I don't know how he does it in the face of some of the crap that flies around here at times. If Trawler Forum was a boat, Mark would be the keel that keeps it all upright.
Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

Coincidentally, (as far as tolerance, patience, and civility goes) my current (but soon to change) avatar shows me and a Canadian carrying a honey pot containing about 40 person/days of #2.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Coincidentally, (as far as tolerance, patience, and civility goes) my current (but soon to change avatar) shows me and a Canadian carrying a honey pot containing about 40 person/days of #2.
Very funny!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Is it required than HOF folks use a picture of themselves in their avatar?
No, Eric...It's not required. As you know, that would put RT in a rather delicate spot. (Working for the CIA and all.)

Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Definitately add my vote for Mark!
I second, (or would that be third or fourth) both of the above, Mark and Marin.
Oh, and raise it one by nominating the one and only Manyboats (and too many anchors), Eric....

Ahhhhh....bugger....missed there was a page 2 already, (AGAIN) anyway, like Marin said...saves me repeating it all..and he's right Eric, so just accept the accolades and shut up....
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I second, (or would that be third or fourth) both of the above, Mark and Marin.
Oh, and raise it one by nominating the one and only Manyboats (and too many anchors), Eric....
If there's a Hall of Infamy I might qualify. Otherwise, I'm thinking not.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #40
Enigma

Greetings,
Culinary Institute of America?