Thread not loading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gene

Veteran Member
This is a spin off of Phil/Fill's thread in "Live Aboard". Since we should not be hi-jacking his thread.

Twice since I joined this board, a thread would not load after I clicked it. I did refresh and even went back and clicked again a few times. Everything on the page appeared to load but there were no entries from any members. Both times the threads were ongoing discussions which I had viewed before. So I know there were supposed to be entries.

I posted a reply and then the thread appeared.

Not really expecting any action on this one. Just FYI. I also wanted to see if anyone else had seen this problem.

If it happens to me again, I will do my best to figure out all the details and report what I find.

It is happening now. In the "suggestion box" there is a thread about the banner size.

I can "preview" the thread and see some of the text. But when I click on the thread there is nothing there.

I hit reply and then clicked the link at the bottom of the page to "open original thread in a new window" and it still was blank.

Of course I refreshed, and I went back and re-clicked the link. No luck. I even opened a different thread. It worked fine so I went back and still nothing there.

I will open it now and post a reply to see if it shows up.

Yep, as soon as I posted a reply... I could see the entire thread.

Very strange.

Now it shows up everytime. I can't seem to make it duplicate. It seems random.

I just posted to the "Dinghy's" thread. All this time I thought Oldfishboat's post of Oct12 was the first post.

As soon as I posted, I saw the rest of the thread. I didn't know it was quite a long thread.

This really makes me wonder what else I am missing on the site.

This is on my powerbook running OSX10.3.9 (I know it's old) with Firefox 2.0.0.8

Gene, when you say "thread not loading", do you mean it comes up blank?* Could you take a screen shot and email it to me?* I'm still not sure if I know what you are talking about.* I am not hearing any problems with anyone else, Mac or otherwise.

Thanks, Doug D.

Doug
** ** Nevermind, I see you are already working on it.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Carey at 10:53, 2007-10-29

I don't think I am alone, if you look at this thread...

Trawler Forum -> Liveaboards -> to live on the water of dirt? That is the question?

You will see that Doc is reporting the same sort of problem that fixes itself after you post to the thread.

I will take a screen capture if it happens again.

Everything from the website loads except the actual post entries. It appears to be a thread where no one has made any entries. All of the website links are there and* the quick reply, just no members comments or avatars.

Except for the "dinghys" thread. There I saw just a few entries (and I visited the thread a few times, always the same number of entries). Other people made new entries and I saw them. So I made a reply and all of a sudden the thread was very long. I had no idea there were previous entries.

I was worried it was just something with my computer or browser but after I saw "Doc" mention it, I realized I may not be alone. Although, no one has jumped in on this thread? I'll also try to see if it happens on my tower. I generally use my powerbook.

But again, it seems to be random so I don't know when it will happen.

Thanks for checking it out.

Is your system maybe "stalling"?* I mean slow to download at times?* It could be that the entire page has not loaded.* I'm on a different computer that has a very slow connection and saw something that may be what you are talking about.* Again, a screen shot would be a big help in understanding what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Doug D.

I'll get the screen capture when or if it occurs again.

It's not stalling, it is just finished loading the page. Firefox says "Done" at the lower left corner.

I really wish I could use Safari, that is what I normally use
smile.gif

Thanks Gene, I hope it won't happen again.* Just forward that shot to me if it does.

Don't you just love computers!* They're so predictable, it's not like they ever do anything out of the ordinary.
wink.gif

-- Edited by dougd1 at 20:50, 2007-10-29

I really hope I am not alone in this, no one seems to be adding to this thread.

Anyhow, it happened again. I'll check on the desktop system tomorrow (I am normally on my PB).

Here are the screen captures. Once I posted a reply I could see it all.

Gene, have tried doing a "refresh" when it happens?* It looks to me like your browser did not complete the page load.

As I mentioned before... refresh does not fix it. I also tried leaving the category, opening other posts and then returning. Still blank. I tried opening from another link/route by using the link at the bottom of quick reply to "open original thread". Still blank.

Today, I had the problem occur again on my powerbook. Which is what I normally use. I figured maybe the problem is only on the powerbook. So I fired up the desktop system (after wiping the cobwebs off it) and sure enough the thread will not open here either. Same exact symptoms.

Now here is the wierd part.

After I posted a reply (from my DT) I was able to see the thread (as expected). But then I went back to my PB and I was able to see the thread there as well.

So, I would say it is NOT something local to my system. Otherwise, how would posting on computer A fix the problem on computer B?

It could be some incompatibility with my browser/OS combination and your server. Both my systems run MacOS 10.3.9 w/ Firefox 2.0.0.9

You mentioned that you don't think my browser is finished loading. What makes you say that? It says done at the bottom. The spining progress thing at the top right is not moving. Normal page loads look the same when complete. The spinning thing is always there, just not moving.

All that said, I don't expect a lot of effort put into it since I seem to be the only one with the issue. You'll just have to get used to my replies with nothing in them (in order to allow me to see the thread).

These screenshots are from the desktop system. Same symptoms as the powerbook.

FWIW and as a single data point only, I have not had this problem with either of the two computers I use regularly. One is my work computer, a docked Dell laptop running Windows. The other is my home computer, a relatively new Apple MacBook. Between the two computers I use three web browsers--- MS Explorer at work and both Safari and Firefox at home. All three open every thread in this forum in its entirety every time. I never have to hit refresh to see an entire thread.

The only problem I've experienced is that Safari will not load photo attachments to a post I want to send to this forum. Firefox and Explorer do. But this is not the only thing I've encounterd that Safari won't do that Firefox will, so I don't attribute the photo posting issue to the forum's software but to an incompatibility of some sort with Safari.

Gene, I know that it may be hard to believe, but; we just have not seen any problems on PC's.* I suspect that it is some sort of conspiracy created by Satan (Bill Gates) to try and get you over to the dark side.*
wink.gif

I know Zero about Macs but quite a bit about PC's.* If I were to experience the same issue on a PC where I knew others did not have a problem, I would try the following in this order on a PC until the problem goes away:

1.* Remove and then reinstall all Java.
2.* Remove and then reinstall your browsers.
3.* Prevent all other programs from loading at startup to try and find a conflict.
4.* Buy a new PC and try to feel good about selling your soul!
hmm.gif

It's all good. I am not on the newest OSX so it may be due to that. I am updated as current as possible with patches/updates, but to get to the new OS I need to purchase it. Sort of like changing versions of windows (ie: 95 to 98).

Firefox may need to come out with an update (they seem to have many).

I wouldn't worry about it. I just figured I would let people know in case I am not alone.

Next time I find a blank thread, I will try it on Safari and see what happens.

I actually prefer safari but then I have even more issues with the site.

Thanks.

Gene
*** ** I think you'll find that Safari will not work with this program. I have OS X, version 10.4.1, and it works fine. I originally tried to use Safari, but no joy. Good luck.

Ditto on Carey's comments........I also have the latest rev of OS X* (Not leopard)
I couldn't use Safari either but FireFox works great!

Ok, happened again so I tried another "test". Last time I tried it on two separate computers using the same browser and OS. This time I used two different browsers on the same computer.

In Firefox I could not open the thread. So I launched Safari and could not open the same thread.

After I posted a reply in Firefox, I could see the thread. So I went to Safari and clicked on the thread again and it worked. I could see the thread.

So, in summary... posting on Firefox allowed me to see the thread on Safari.

I really don't see how this not be something with either my account or your server. Because I can use different browsers and different computers and get the same problem and resolution.

I have an idea for my next test when it happens again...

I am going to "Log out" and try to view the thread as a guest.

I will also try to log in at work (on a PC) and see what happens there.

Stay tuned!

I use Safari Version 2.0.4 on a year-old MacBook running OSX 10.4.9. It opens every thread and post on this site and I can see and enlarge all the photos attached to posts. The only thing Safari won't do-- at least not on my computer-- is attach a photo to a post. I have to use Firefox for that, on the same MacBook. The Firefox version I'm running is 2.0.0.9. I also had to use Firefox to put a photo on my avatar. But for general reading and posting to the forum at home (like this post) I use Safari. I only use Firefox when I want to attach a photo.

Safari formats the "attach images" form quite a bit differently than Firefox--- don't know why.** I can select a photo on the form as displayed by Safari but clicking "upload" does nothing.

The Grand Banks Owners forum, which uses a forum application similar to this one, works fine in all functions including attaching photos to posts, with Safari as well as with Firefox.

Our ISP is Earthlink and we are on DSL using the ZyXEL P-600 Series DSL box provided by Earthlink.

-- Edited by Marin at 02:49, 2007-11-17

-- Edited by Marin at 03:02, 2007-11-17

Back
Top Bottom