Searching users by geographical area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delia Rosa

Vessel Name
Delia Rosa
Vessel Make
C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
Hey everyone,Trawler Forum seems to be a great venue for people to chat, exchange ideas and maybe even meet up eventually. **We are relatively new users of the forum and have noticed lots of posts by members from the West Coast, East Coast and Florida but rarely from the Great Lakes. *We are located on Lake Ontario and would love to catch up with other boaters from our area. *Is there a way of sorting members by geographical area... or is it a possible addition to the site?

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 12:06:28 PM

Although I understand the "idea" and think it has merit, if more people would complete their "profile" information, this idea could progress to fruition. Or, possibly no new action would be required! I'm finding that many questions that members post are already answered somewhere in the Forum's site. Learn to use the search engine, click on all those icons up above and see where they lead. Take 15 minutes to actually see what the software already has before re-inventing the wheel.

Sorry for the rant but this is already one hell uv a site.
frustrated.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 01:25:11 PM

Attachments

• walt.jpg
    walt.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 89
Hi Walt of SeaHorseII

I agree that Trawler Forum is a great site and I very much enjoy reading through all the various threads and member posts.
Before I posted the new thread I did everything I could think of to "research" my idea for locating members, including going through individual profiles one by one. I agree that more info in the profiles would be great, but at this moment, I don't think there is any way of "searching" them for specific information. I do know from the map on the "List All Users" page that there are 182 Canadian members and 1831 US members, but nothing shows where they are located. On the same page, you can search by Member Name, Title, Posts, Last Access and Member Since info.... but nowhere do I see how to find members by location. If you have a way of searching members by geographical area I would love to know how....

Delia Rosa wrote:

Hi Walt of SeaHorseII

I agree that Trawler Forum is a great site and I very much enjoy reading through all the various threads and member posts.
Before I posted the new thread I did everything I could think of to "research" my idea for locating members, including going through individual profiles one by one. I agree that more info in the profiles would be great, but at this moment, I don't think there is any way of "searching" them for specific information. I do know from the map on the "List All Users" page that there are 182 Canadian members and 1831 US members, but nothing shows where they are located. On the same page, you can search by Member Name, Title, Posts, Last Access and Member Since info.... but nowhere do I see how to find members by location. If you have a way of searching members by geographical area I would love to know how....
SusanYou may have seen on the suggestion box, that I asked our administrator if there was any way to post an Excel doc for us each to open and add our information. If we could, then we could sort by any of the columns, whether it be boat type, geographic location or whatever. Between this thread and that one, maybe we can come up with something. I could put together the spreadsheet, but I am not technically savvy as to what is possible on this site. We'll see.*
smile.gif

Carey,
It would be great to find a solution to searching members... I'm not sure how the excel doc could work - I'm not that tech savvy either when it comes to Excel spreadsheets with multiple users on a website. But maybe if enough people are interested in the idea, our administrators will be able to make it happen.

Delia Rosa wrote:Trawler Forum seems to be a great venue for people to chat, exchange ideas and maybe even meet up eventually. **We are relatively new users of the forum and have noticed lots of posts by members from the West Coast, East Coast and Florida but rarely from the Great Lakes. *We are located on Lake Ontario and would love to catch up with other boaters from our area. *Is there a way of sorting members by geographical area... or is it a possible addition to the site?
Hi Susan, first of all, thanks for joining us here on this site.* I moved this thread to the suggestion box area.

It is very helpful to post good info in either your profile or as your signature.* This can help others learn a little more about you and where you might be from.

That said, I do believe there are a lot of folks on here that are really kind of private about what they post in view of the public.* For instance, any email addresses that you may have in your signature can be harvested by spammers and scammers.* I post my email address for the convenience of our members but it is not my only email address.

Others reasons that members wish to remain annonomous could be that they may be in the wittness protection program, spies from other forums or maybe they like to use alter egos for posting.

I would start with a friendly post in either the General Discussion forum or in the Inland Waters forum.* Introduce yourself and I'm sure that you will get at least a few replies.* By the way, this forum has a Private Message feature that allows you to carry on private conversations without revealing your actual email address or other private details on the forum pages.* After you feel comfortable you may then choose to exchange information with that person.

Again, thanks for joining.* I'm sure that you will meet lots of friends on here that would love to join you in some boating fun.* I also know that many on this site travel a lot and enjoy meeting up with other TrawlerForum folks while out and about.
smile.gif

-- Edited by dougd1 on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 03:38:25 PM

Carey wrote:

You may have seen on the suggestion box, that I asked our administrator if there was any way to post an Excel doc for us each to open and add our information. If we could, then we could sort by any of the columns, whether it be boat type, geographic location or whatever. Between this thread and that one, maybe we can come up with something. I could put together the spreadsheet, but I am not technically savvy as to what is possible on this site. We'll see.*
smile.gif
This is a great idea, however, I can see possible problems with it.* I'm really not sure what the response would be from the members in putting together such a spreadsheet.* Remember, this site can be viewed by anyone on this planet with an Internet connection. So you say, "restrict it to members only?"

We don't look at any member before they sign up.* We let EVERYBODY that wants to join come in.* We find it is easier to get members in and then ban them later if they cause problems, spread spam, or just look for ways to get thrown out.

If we did start an Excel spreadsheet, what would you be willing to post.* Your full name, your email, your phone number, name of your boat, marina, etc?* Can you see where I'm going?

Sure, I think there are a lot of folks on here that would have no problem posting all of that info.* I also think there would also be a lot that wouldn't.* I still think the better way is to just post and then either Private Message each other or minimize your online info.

Am I just paranoid?* How do others feel?*
confuse.gif

-- Edited by dougd1 on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 03:37:36 PM

dougd1 wrote:

Carey wrote:

You may have seen on the suggestion box, that I asked our administrator if there was any way to post an Excel doc for us each to open and add our information. If we could, then we could sort by any of the columns, whether it be boat type, geographic location or whatever. Between this thread and that one, maybe we can come up with something. I could put together the spreadsheet, but I am not technically savvy as to what is possible on this site. We'll see.*
smile.gif
This is a great idea, however, I can see possible problems with it.* I'm really not sure what the response would be from the members in putting together such a spreadsheet.* Remember, this site can be viewed by anyone on this planet with an Internet connection. So you say, "restrict it to members only?"

We don't look at any member before they sign up.* We let EVERYBODY that wants to join come in.* We find it is easier to get members in and then ban them later if they cause problems, spread spam, or just look for ways to get thrown out.

If we did start an Excel spreadsheet, what would you be willing to post.* Your full name, your email, your phone number, name of your boat, marina, etc?* Can you see where I'm going?

Sure, I think there are a lot of folks on here that would have no problem posting all of that info.* I also think there would also be a lot that wouldn't.* I still think the better way is to just post and then either Private Message each other or minimize your online info.

Am I just paranoid?* How do others feel?*
confuse.gif

-- Edited by dougd1 on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 03:37:36 PMDougNo, I wouldn't say you are paranoid at all. All of what you say is valid.

Personally, I am willing to show only limited information myself. I would limit my own information to only FIRST AND LAST NAME, HOME PORT, BOAT NAME, BOAT TYPE, MANUFACTURER. With that information on there, I don't think I'd be compromised, and yet someone searching for a member in Bellingham, Washington with a lobster boat could find me. Then, that member could send me a private email for further discussion. Thanks for getting back to us on this one Doug!!!

Re my idea of searching members geographically.... I was simply hoping that we could locate boat members by their general location and perhaps by manufacturer... and then yes, the private message board would be a great way to get in touch for further details! I agree that we all probably want/need to maintain a certain level of privacy. I don't think searching for a member by location would comprise anyone - but of course, that information would only be searchable if the member wanted to include the info in the first place!

Oh, one other quick note.... so far, by going through individual profiles, I have only found 2 other Lake Ontario boaters.... but then again, I probably have at least another 1500 profiles to go through!!

respectfully,

Delia Rosa wrote:

Oh, one other quick note.... so far, by going through individual profiles, I have only found 2 other Lake Ontario boaters.... but then again, I probably have at least another 1500 profiles to go through!!

respectfully,
SusanDoug suggested another idea that you could try. Go to the Cruising and Events category on the home page of this site, and start a new thread, titled with your home area. Maybe title it "Lake Ontario Members", and ask your neighbors to step forward.*

Very good idea... I will try that!

Delia Rosa wrote:

Very good idea... I will try that!
SusanOne last thought. Why don't you edit your signature to include your home port. Maybe city and marina, and maybe someone in your area will see that.*
smile.gif
It would be nice if everyone would do that, but I'm sure that many have reasons they don't want that information made public. Although I suspect that many folks were just lazy in creating their profiles and signatures. I usually fall into the lazy category.*
no.gif

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 04:23:45 PM

Another good idea.... lots of points for you today!

Delia Rosa wrote:

Another good idea.... lots of points for you today!
SusanIf you read Doug's posts, you'll see that I was simply reiterating his suggestions. Nearly plagarism.*
smile.gif

Sadly, the points are Doug's and not mine.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 04:33:30 PM

You know, one thing that seems to have been lost in the discussion about the geographical search was the idea of being able to search members through their "profile" input information. I understand the worries that people have about putting too much info into too easily available sites... however, Trawler Forums profile information is something that people have to actually access as opposed to seeing automatically online when you access a thread. I still think that if it were possible to add a search function to our profiles for member/boat location or boat model, that it would be a valuable tool for many of us. Again, the info would only be made available by members who wanted to add that info just like our emails are available only if we decide that they should be posted.

I think that many members do not search out other members, but are not adverse to hearing from others if they know that core info is protected. I have also noticed that certain parts of the forum are more popular than others... for example... no one seems to have posted to inland waters since 2007 (other than my post), so I am not sure how many members will even bother to look there...

I want to assure everyone that I think the current version of Trawler Forums is wonderful... I just wish it could go a little further in the attempt to connect cruisers around the world!

so once again... this started from a wish to connect with people from the "interior"... where are all the members from the Great Lakes... hello anyone!!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 07:42:32 PM

Delia Rosa wrote:

You know, one thing that seems to have been lost in the discussion about the geographical search was the idea of being able to search members through their "profile" input information. I understand the worries that people have about putting too much info into too easily available sites... however, Trawler Forums profile information is something that people have to actually access as opposed to seeing automatically online when you access a thread. I still think that if it were possible to add a search function to our profiles for member/boat location or boat model, that it would be a valuable tool for many of us. Again, the info would only be made available by members who wanted to add that info just like our emails are available only if we decide that they should be posted.

I think that many members do not search out other members, but are not adverse to hearing from others if they know that core info is protected. I have also noticed that certain parts of the forum are more popular than others... for example... no one seems to have posted to inland waters since 2007 (other than my post), so I am not sure how many members will even bother to look there...

I want to assure everyone that I think the current version of Trawler Forums is wonderful... I just wish it could go a little further in the attempt to connect cruisers around the world!

so once again... this started from a wish to connect with people from the "interior"... where are all the members from the Great Lakes... hello anyone!!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 07:42:32 PM
I bet that if you offer free beer and dinner a whole bunch would start to pop their heads up.

JD wrote:
I bet that if you offer free beer and dinner a whole bunch would start to pop their heads up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might be right about that... you forum guys have such great ideas...

But if we are planning for drinks and eats on "Delia Rosa" we will have to*wait for warmer weather!

Delia Rosa wrote:

JD wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might be right about that... you forum guys have such great ideas...

But if we are planning for drinks and eats on "Delia Rosa" we will have to*wait for warmer weather!
You don't have to tell them where, just offer they will pop up. :>))

JD wrote:Delia Rosa wrote:JD wrote:
You don't have to tell them where, just offer they will pop up. :>))SusanWe must keep a close eye on JD, as he is a crafty devil.*
biggrin.gif

Delia Rosa,

Not that it'll help because I'm a bit to the west of you, as far as get togethers, but I made a signature that at least shows my rough geographic location. It was in the avatar info which my cat guards fiercely.

I agree that it would help sometimes just to fill in at least a rough geographical location as some info has merit based on location.

This will also serve as a test to see how well I goofed up the change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom