Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Question about attaching a living document to a thread

JohnDo you know if we could attach an Excel spreadsheet to a thread, and have members open it and add information? I am thinking about a geographical locator for the group. Each member could open the document and add their name, city and state, and maybe even a boat description. Then one could sort by location.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Location of boat (i.e. Zhuhai, China)*or location of*owner (i.e. Martinez, CA), or both?

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 01:40:27 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

RE: Question about attaching a living document to a thread

Quote:
Carey wrote:
John
Do you know if we could attach an Excel spreadsheet to a thread, and have members open it and add information? I am thinking about a geographical locator for the group. Each member could open the document and add their name, city and state, and maybe even a boat description. Then one could sort by location.

Carey,

We use an "out of the box" forum software that is supplied by our host.* I am not aware of a way to keep a "living" document in a thread.* I will send those to our host as suggestions.

Or, perhaps you could be the keeper of such a document and have folks private message or email you their stats!

Great idea, by the way!
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
dougd1 wrote:
Carey,

We use an "out of the box" forum software that is supplied by our host.* I am not aware of a way to keep a "living" document in a thread.* I will send those to our host as suggestions.

Or, perhaps you could be the keeper of such a document and have folks private message or email you their stats!

Great idea, by the way!
DougI didn't think the software had any internal way to deal with this task, but thought maybe a working document could live within.
As to my being the keeper of the Excel doc, I would be willing, but don't know how I would then share what I compiled, and keep a current copy in everyones hands. Too bad the search feature wouldn't let us just search for all profiles in a give location, but...
I personally wouldn't even be all that interested, but was trying to find a solution for Susan of Delia Rosa.
Looking at the number of members who share almost nothing in their profiles, I'm doubtful about getting a reasonable amount of participation anyway.
Thanks Doug, for this and all you do for us.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Since I only have the home version of Microsoft, an Excel spreadsheet would be useless.* Better to have a "low-grade" software program which the more sophisticated programs and lesser ones*can all*use.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #6

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Carey wrote: *"was trying to find a solution for Susan of Delia Rosa.
Looking at the number of members who share almost nothing in their profiles, I'm doubtful about getting a reasonable amount of participation anyway."

Thanks Carey for trying to help out with your idea for an excel document and my thanks to everyone on the forum administration who keep the forum going.

I just just wanted to make one point again about the info/function that I was looking for in my original thread. *I was hoping that there could be a "search" function added to the site for information that was already listed in individual's profiles. * Obviously the more members who add more detailed info, the better the search parameters could be. *I was hoping for a quick search to indicate rough geographic area - perhaps using the "location" entry on our profile. *Even better would be "searchable" fields that individuals could choose to enter like Marina or City or State/Province. *As Carey suggested, a field for boat type would be great too.

I understand the worries that people have about putting too much info into too easily available sites... however, Trawler Forum's profile information is something that people have to actually access as opposed to being seen automatically online - like a signature - *when you access a thread. *Again, only those members who wanted to include more info in *their profile would have that info posted just like our emails are available only if we decide that they can be posted. * Certainly, as mentioned earlier, I realize that detailed info can be requested using the "private messenging" function.

I want to assure everyone that I think the current version of Trawler Forums is wonderful...

As I mentioned somewhere in my thread, *this started from a wish to connect with people who might be a little closer to home... where are all the members from the Great Lakes... hello anyone!!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Susan, would a section for Great Lakes cruisers help??? We could do that. I just don't think we can implement what you are asking. Like Doug said, this is basically canned software...it is what it is so we can't really modify it.

Let us know. And thanks for your kind words ref the forum!!!

John

Edit, I just realized the the "Interior Waters" sections lists Great Lakes in the header. *Does this not satisfy what you are looking for??? *Maybe just go in there and post up looking for all Great Lakes cruisers? *I know that section is not very active but get in there and try to liven things up!!!!....

Edit yet again...I just saw that you already made your attempt to liven things up in there. *Gimme a moment....I will catch up!!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 04:14:12 PM

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 04:18:05 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

John,
I guess the folks in the "interior waters" just aren't very vocal... I am not sure what else to try... as I mentioned before I had started to go through all the forum profiles individually and gave up looking for "lakers" after about 500!!! I do love the forum though... great people and many with a sense of humour. I'll keep posting and reading with great interest and enjoyment.
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Thanks!!! Enjoy yourselves!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I only have the home version of Microsoft, an Excel spreadsheet would be useless.* Better to have a "low-grade" software program which the more sophisticated programs and lesser ones*can all*use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you could install the free OpenOffice suite that handles all Office documents including Excel plus a whole lot more.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Dave

-- Edited by magicbus on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 02:21:07 PM
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote