Posting on the Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
I am constantly amazed to see, that some members who join the forum manage to amass a huge number of posts in a very short time, then disappear into the ether, like a moth to drawn to a flame.

Whereas, others have been members for seven or eight years and have not managed even 100 posts, yet they still pop up from time to time.It's interesting to see what the topic is that prompts them to post a reply after a hiatus of a couple of years.Are these the quiet studious types who read the threads but feel no compunction to voice a view.The natural 'lurker'.

Some members post mainly on OTDE, and do not appear to even own a boat, and boy can civil manners 'go out the window' there quickly.

Then there is the bulk of us, we lurk for a while, then inexplicitly suffer a bout of verbal diarrhoea, commenting on all those technical things we really know nothing about, until such time as some one who really does know what their talking about slaps us down, and we retreat to take stock, and lick our wounds.

What fun. :lol:

Makes me feel like an exception. :blush:

"Different things, for different people, that`s what happiness is."

Interesting comment Andy, but spot on Although I like to think the knowledgeable ones try not to 'slap people down' who maybe show some lack of in-depth knowledge, or if so, do it gently. We mods tend to take a dim view of that if it occurs with any frequency. I hope we are striking the balance about right.

Haha,

Very interesting post as I have been thinking about this myself, particularly with respect to me. Last year was a busy year at work and this limited my time for the forum but not for boating, hence my absence. I think I found a reasonable balance and was on the boat at least once a month and mostly twice a month all year!

That said, I am back, but I tend to read more than post, unless I can help in a discussion and hopefully add value.

Anyway, 2 days to go and then off boating again, this weekend we will be targeting Tuna in Cook Strait ?

Haha,

Very interesting post as I have been thinking about this myself, particularly with respect to me. Last year was a busy year at work and this limited my time for the forum but not for boating, hence my absence. I think I found a reasonable balance and was on the boat at least once a month and mostly twice a month all year!

That said, I am back, but I tend to read more than post, unless I can help in a discussion and hopefully add value.

Anyway, 2 days to go and then off boating again, this weekend we will be targeting Tuna in Cook Strait ?

Nice part of the world you boat in Mike, so I can understand why posting takes a back seat. If I could wave a wand and have my Lotus over in those Marlborough Sounds, I would do what I am still considering on and off, and retire there. Picton would be really nice I think.

Nice part of the world you boat in Mike, so I can understand why posting takes a back seat. If I could wave a wand and have my Lotus over in those Marlborough Sounds, I would do what I am still considering on and off, and retire there. Picton would be really nice I think.

Peter,

You need to come over and have a look again as Picton/Waikawa is now really busy on the water, but not as busy as other places on the planet. That said it is far too crowded for me (I guess it is all relative).

Pelorus Sound is less crowded and is a much bigger and a more interesting waterway, with loads of safe moorings and anchorages.

Next time you are over the ditch, get in touch and I would be happy to show you around Pelorus Sound.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
I am constantly amazed to see, that some members who join the forum manage to amass a huge number of posts in a very short time, then disappear into the ether, like a moth to drawn to a flame.

Whereas, others have been members for seven or eight years and have not managed even 100 posts, yet they still pop up from time to time.It's interesting to see what the topic is that prompts them to post a reply after a hiatus of a couple of years.Are these the quiet studious types who read the threads but feel no compunction to voice a view.The natural 'lurker'.

Some members post mainly on OTDE, and do not appear to even own a boat, and boy can civil manners 'go out the window' there quickly.

Then there is the bulk of us, we lurk for a while, then inexplicitly suffer a bout of verbal diarrhoea, commenting on all those technical things we really know nothing about, until such time as some one who really does know what their talking about slaps us down, and we retreat to take stock, and lick our wounds.

What fun. :lol:

Even though somewhat of a newbie here I to can be spotty as far as posting because of work (I have to fly to Panama in a couple hours)

Even though I have a few snide remarks over the past couple of years to some very basic questions this is still my go to place for answers

Thanks to everyone on here and especially you guys on the TF team

Could be they have quit boating and are doin' other things. Our yacht club is undergoin' a huge turn-over in membership. People come and go so fast you never get to even know them. Whatever happened to the long-term boaters? The Sicilian and I have been in boating for 48 years and still active on the water. What really hurts is my sport of Predicted Log is dyin' a slow death due to lack of interest in an area covering all of North America.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom