Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2015, 01:45 AM   #101
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,188
If I didn't know better I might think you were trying to talk me out of 10.

No...I'm trying to teach you how to use it! I don't use IE or Edge if I can help it, so I had to hunt it down for you. Win 10 is just enough different from Win 7 that there is a bit of a learning curve...ignoring that is what causes problems with it. (That also accounts for most problems with marine toilets!)

I can't help you with Android, though...my mobile devices are an iPhone 6+ and an iPad Air 2. I installed the new Firefox app on my ipad (also available for Android) tonight...enough different from the full computer version to require a bit of a learning curve too, but really cool.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
© 2017 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:55 AM   #102
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress
No...I'm trying to teach you how to use it!
I know that and I do appreciate your efforts. Sometimes I think I'm just ready for something different, for a change.
__________________

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #103
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
FWIW, with only minor exceptions, I've not found it particularly useful to change to a newer version of an operating system.


In general, the hardware won't take advantage -- or at least enough advantage -- of the new opsys to make the hassle worthwhile.


The exceptions were Win 3.0 to 3.1 (not really much of a deal), and Win 8.1 to Win 10 on a relatively new combo notebook/tablet.


The latter makes a good example about capabilities. Win 8/8.1/10 offer some touch screen capabilities... but those are only useful if the monitor understands touch screen. A typical desktop/laptop -- without touch screen -- won't benefit much if any from changing from Win 7 to Win 10.


OTOH, we didn't care much for Win 8.1 anyway, only just got the thing a few months before Win 10 release, that was an easy enough change -- no user interaction required other than to say "yes."


-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #104
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
Word o' caution


Via close business connections... In 2013 I purchased a 2012 top end, super capable Apple laptop from a computer beta test company working for Apple. It had tested good on all accounts. They cleaned everything off of it to regain complete virgin condition. I went to Apple experts, Apple computer company itself, and even began relationship with a retired Apple programmer. NO Body could get too large a number of my PC files loaded onto the Apple. I would have lost way too many important legal documents, programs, drawings, math, and photos of proprietary items that I'm hooked up with. These items are to me very important and must stay available at the drop of a hat. I've been building my file base on PC's since early 90's.


Some people said... well... why don't you just use a PC and an Apple; that way you can have the best of both worlds. My answer - Too much of a PIA! My mornings already start at 4:30 to 5 and I've not time to fk around with separate computer types. I've not the band-width nor desire to PC and Apple simultaneously. That said - I hope PC's (Microsoft specifically) doesn't shoot itself (me or you too) in the foot with all these "new" Windows efforts that their geeks in cubicles on 100,000 sq. ft. operations floors spend their life modifying... for the good of everyone - of course!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #105
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I like to write my posts in word so I canproof and edit before hitting the publish button.

Almost always, when I copy andpaste from word toforum, words jam up, some paragraphs get double spaced and somelines duplicate. It can take up to 4 save-edit-save tries before it is all fixed up.
You can use notepad (on windows) to do responses. That will let you cut and paste the text into TF with no formatting problems. Just don't use fonts or other text formatting in notepad.

I used to use it all day on Cisco programming code and configs. It does not add hard CR/LF characters, even if you use the word wrap function.

stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #106
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Word o' caution


Via close business connections... In 2013 I purchased a 2012 top end, super capable Apple laptop from a computer beta test company working for Apple. It had tested good on all accounts. They cleaned everything off of it to regain complete virgin condition. I went to Apple experts, Apple computer company itself, and even began relationship with a retired Apple programmer. NO Body could get too large a number of my PC files loaded onto the Apple. I would have lost way too many important legal documents, programs, drawings, math, and photos of proprietary items that I'm hooked up with. These items are to me very important and must stay available at the drop of a hat. I've been building my file base on PC's since early 90's.


Some people said... well... why don't you just use a PC and an Apple; that way you can have the best of both worlds. My answer - Too much of a PIA! My mornings already start at 4:30 to 5 and I've not time to fk around with separate computer types. I've not the band-width nor desire to PC and Apple simultaneously. That said - I hope PC's (Microsoft specifically) doesn't shoot itself (me or you too) in the foot with all these "new" Windows efforts that their geeks in cubicles on 100,000 sq. ft. operations floors spend their life modifying... for the good of everyone - of course!
As a fellow programmer, you can use Fusion for the Mac to run both Windows, Linux and Mac OS at the same time. It has a function to import stuff from windows onto your mac, so all you need is to link the two and start the import.

I guess you didn't talk to the right xspurts

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #107
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Mark, just buy an Apple. You'll only regret spending the money once.
OMG! That's the first thing that popped into my mind!
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #108
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
As a fellow programmer, you can use Fusion for the Mac to run both Windows, Linux and Mac OS at the same time. It has a function to import stuff from windows onto your mac, so all you need is to link the two and start the import.

I guess you didn't talk to the right xspurts

Stu
Stu


That and more was tried. Some items on some of my files are severely encrypted... such as from Sandia National Labs, Stanford Research Institute, and engineers I invent/further-perfect things with.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #109
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Stu


That and more was tried. Some items on some of my files are severely encrypted... such as from Sandia National Labs, Stanford Research Institute, and engineers I invent/further-perfect things with.
There is a lot of financial software that is strictly PC and will not run on Apple even using Fusion and other methods. Now, much of this same software won't initially run well on new versions of Windows until they upgrade the software.

My policy on Windows upgrades has always been to upgrade but never to be among the first. I will never convert to any software until it's been in relatively problem free use for at least 6 months. For some that's meant six months after release and for some that's meant 2 years.

As mentioned by ranger, we don't find an urgency. We just want to upgrade before we start running into software and hardware (peripherals primarily) not supported fully on the old. Also, in time to settle in before the next upgrade.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #110
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
It's no coincidence that almost every laptop and desktop computer you see being used in TV shows and movies is an Apple. It's because for a whole bunch of reasons, Apple's "environment" is much more appealing and comfortable to people in a creative industry...
Part two...
Those Apples you see in a film are not there because cast and crew use nothing else. Production doesn't care what they use.

It's Hollywood not real life. Use and placement are negotiated months in advance and placed with way too much consultation and wasted meeting time. Continuity can reach anal, ridiculous proportions. Quite often vehicles occupy more preproduction time than scripting, especially if there are crashes. Corporate and entertainment lawyers make millions negotiating standard, blanket documents of use, liability and waiver.

Almost any "brand" that appears in film and TV is either pre approved, supplied gratis or is a paid for placement by the copyright holder. A huge amount of set dec is generic and isn't even real or necessarily current.

Otherwise there are warehouses full of and industries creating, props and set dec items and so much of it is just plane fake. It doesn't matter how many times a Grip tosses a brick at you, you always react like it's 5 pounds not 5 ounces.

Also, the really good crew members who build, shop for and dress sets, along with makeup and prosthetic artists, are more than just film school grads; they have tremendous natural talents.

Marin, you chose the wrong field, a sought after wig maker can often earn more than a camera op.

But then you already know this stuff...
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #111
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Another shift in the PMs thread...
How come some posted replies to a subscribed thread get to my inbox within minutes while others can take several hours? And please, don't blame gmail or how I have it configured.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #112
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Marin, you chose the wrong field, a sought after wig maker can often earn more than a camera op.
i'm not a camera op, I'm a producer/director. I worked in commercial television production until moving to Seattle and Boeing made me an offer I couldn't refuse to come produce films (now videos) for them. What I learned at that point is that while working in the commercial movie/TV industry is fun and pays pretty good, doing the same work in the corporate world is far, far more rewarding in terms of pay. Over the years I had offers from acquaintances to go back to working in the entertainment side of the business but none of them came close to the pay and benefits of what I've been doing.

As to the use of Apple branded stuff, you're correct to a large degree, especially today. But friends who currently work in television/movie production like the woman I hire for prop work when i need someone like that are the ones who told me what I related earlier. Like I (and she) said, they could use Surfaces instead of MacBooks if they wanted to. Microsoft would love to get and pay for that kind of product placement. But more often than not the producers and directors don't want to use those products in their shows because, like me, they despise them just on general principle.. Of course now the relationship between Apple and the industry is well established so it's become the norm to use their stuff because the process is so easy.

It's why when we need a "private" vehicle for a particular production we always get one from the same dealer because the relationship's long established and the process is fast and easy even though I'd sometimes prefer to use a "cooler" car than what this dealer carries.

As to the PC vs Apple thing, while the company forced us to give up our office Macs a long time ago, we have standardized on iPads for tablets. For example I recently produced some marketing videos aimed at the airlines about new applications that tie an iPad wirelessly into an airplane's flight management system and allow the flight crew to perform real time optimization of the plane's fuel burn throughout the course of a flight. Very cool stuff and Apple's iOS makes it very intuitive to use.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #113
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
Over the years I had offers from acquaintances to go back to working in the entertainment side of the business but none of them came close to the pay and benefits of what I've been doing.
The biggest benefit being happiness and an intact personal life.
MacGyver was fun.
Supernatural; just another stressful job.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #114
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Sandia National Labs, Stanford Research Institute, and engineers.
Aren't they the ones that stole the ultra wideband technology and eventually got found out and had to refund the best selling technology they ever didn't invent?

Nice..
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #115
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
The biggest benefit being.... an intact personal life.
Not necessarily. We're on the road in other countries a lot. By benefits I mean just that-- medical, pension, vacation, sick leave, etc.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #116
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is a lot of financial software that is strictly PC and will not run on Apple even using Fusion and other methods. Now, much of this same software won't initially run well on new versions of Windows until they upgrade the software.

My policy on Windows upgrades has always been to upgrade but never to be among the first. I will never convert to any software until it's been in relatively problem free use for at least 6 months. For some that's meant six months after release and for some that's meant 2 years.

As mentioned by ranger, we don't find an urgency. We just want to upgrade before we start running into software and hardware (peripherals primarily) not supported fully on the old. Also, in time to settle in before the next upgrade.
B - All three paragraphs are spot on. Last two are/is exactly how I operate... TY for eloquent attrition description... my good boat and U.S. life... buddy!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #117
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Not necessarily. We're on the road in other countries a lot. By benefits I mean just that-- medical, pension, vacation, sick leave, etc.
Oh, I knew what you meant.
The fringes are good via the various unions but the modern commercial film industry can be and often is a home wrecker.

If you can manage your life and finances, you can have lots of quality time away from it but most don't do the manage part well.

The last prolonged downturn in Vancouver wiped out a lot of people who either had a lot of money tied up in equipment or had not planned for the hard times. Much like a lot of folks in Alberta right now. Which, by the way, might mean some nice boats coming back on the market.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #118
Veteran Member
 
Nickair's Avatar
 
City: Portland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Even after the time limit is up, if you will just go to your post and click on the "report" icon (the little triangle at the bottom left of the post), then say that you need to edit it, one of the moderators will be more than happy to accommodate you. Helpful, we are.


Good to know. Thanks
__________________
Simplicity, is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo Da Vinci
Nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #119
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
If I may. Relating to much on this thread.

This is my comment on such a great statement from Da Vinci... with Nickair's posts often reminding us of its clear importance!

[/QUOTE] from bottom of Nickair posts... on TF

"Simplicity, is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo Da Vinci"

End [/QUOTE]

I say, truer words were never spoken.

This is one reason why all the deep, ongoing, and much unnecessary changes/alterations in communication procedures are bothersome and so very un sophisticated. The other main reason for un sophistication in these many instances is unrelenting marketing hype for reasons of never-ending sales to create "throw away products" cash flow.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, while first we practice to deceive!"
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #120
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Sandia National Labs, Stanford Research Institute, and engineers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Aren't they the ones that stole the ultra wideband technology and eventually got found out and had to refund the best selling technology they ever didn't invent?

Nice..
Of the three items... please specify your target.
__________________

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012