Old 11-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #81
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall
Right now, by coincidence, I'm downloading Windows 10 to replace Windows 8.1. Wish me luck.
Cool.
You can be one of the test pilots.
Did you create an image of your drive before jumping off the cliff?
Please keep us posted.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #82
Guru

One of my frustrations with W10 is the forced/auto updates.
The latest upgrade kept failing at 50% install because Billy Boy was trying to force an update to a "device" that does not exist.

I just discovered a little talked about MS fix that allows you to remove or hide updates.

Go here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

and scroll down to:
Download the"Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now.

Bingo, I hid the offending forced update and resumed installation.

Another issue I have is the inability to ad "shortcuts" to the desktop without going through the extra step of sticking it in favorites first.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #83
Guru

City: AR
One of my frustrations with W10 is the forced/auto updates.

That's existed in every version of 10...the simple solution: change your settings from "auto" to "notify me." Then you can choose the updates you want to run. It will try to go back to auto each time, so you do have to pay attention.

Another issue I have is the inability to ad "shortcuts" to the desktop without going through the extra step of sticking it in favorites first.

Also easy to fix: You do it the same way you did it in Win 7: Click on "all apps" (programs are "apps" now)...find the program/"app"...RIGHT click, choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)," click on it. Voila--shortcut on desktop.

I got tired of having to hunt down Word every time I want to use it after other stuff had forced it off the "recents" list. There's now a blank doc in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen...essentially a shortcut. Click on it, it loads.

Spend a little time rambling around what's under the window pane icon in the lower left corner...all kinds of good stuff there.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress
It will try to go back to auto each time, so you do have to pay attention.
That is just a pink anchovy (not quite a red herring). What's the point, if you have to be so watchful. They don't want us thinking for ourselves. That is too much like government.
Quote:
Click on "all apps" (programs are "apps" now)...find the program/"app"...RIGHT click, choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)," click on it. Voila--shortcut on desktop.
That's ok for apps but if, for example, I want to put this window/discussion directly on the desktop, I can't...can I?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #85
Guru

If there's a way to put a shortcut to a specific thread in a specific forum in a specific website that isn't even on YOUR computer, but only accessible using a browser on your desktop--which is what you want to do--I don't have a clue how to do it...except MAYBE on a tablet..which, if you were able to do that in Win 8/8.1, would explain it 'cuz 8 tried to be a tablet in a PC.

What's the point, if you have to be so watchful. They don't want us thinking for ourselves. That is too much like government.

I hope you don't apply the same logic to navigation on your boat!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #86
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Just kind of a by the way -- Open Office is a really good replacement for Word, and is absolutely free. I have been using it for years, and find that it does everything that Microsoft Office used to do for me....
Have only been using it for a year now with no complaints. Lena has been doing some editing using Open Office for a client that uses Word on MS10 with no issues.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
If there's a way to put a shortcut to a specific thread in a specific forum in a specific website that isn't even on YOUR computer, but only accessible using a browser on your desktop--which is what you want to do--I don't have a clue how to do it...
[/I]I hope you don't apply the same logic to navigation on your boat!
Haha. I do apply the same logic because I don't want some geek in a windowless room remotely forcing me to use autopilot every inch of the way to the point I have to watch it more than where I want to go.

"Hey, don't think, do this, it's what's best for you. "

As for short cuts, all windows came with IE where you simply right click then create a shortcut. W10 comes with Edge which dropped that function.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #88
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
HUH????? THIS works for me just fine...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #89
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Moving to windows 10; lost video, sound, and soon after, the use of the windows button. Seems like microsoft is heading to the cesspool. Looks like I'm heading to spend some hundred dollars to fix it, again. Hopefully, that fix will last more than three months.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #90
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Mark, just buy an Apple. You'll only regret spending the money once.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #91
Scraping Paint

City: -
This whole last bunch of posts has been a great reminder of why to buy Apple and not buy PC.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #92
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Internet is the greatest threat to the proper working of computers.

How easy is it to transit to Apple after twenty-five years of Microsoft?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #93
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

I've used Apple Macs at home since 1984 (for my first book project I bought the third Mac sold in Seattle) and I've used PC's at work since Boeing standardized on them in the early 90s.

Applications themselves--- Word, Photoshop, Power Point, Google Earth, etc, etc, etc.-- aren't much different at all between the two platforms once you're in them. The main difference is that the Apple operating system and what this makes possible in applications is, in my opinion and experience, much more user-friendly and intuitive.

But I think the ease of changing from one to the other, or in determining which system one prefers, depends entirely on the individual. It's no coincidence that almost every laptop and desktop computer you see being used in TV shows and movies is an Apple. It's because for a whole bunch of reasons, Apple's "environment" is much more appealing and comfortable to people in a creative industry or occupation than Microsoft's.

However, for a whole bunch of reasons, Microsoft's "environment" is more appealing to people in a more analytical occupation like finance or some technical or data-intense field.

So the difficulty or ease of changing from PC to Mac will be more dependent on how your mind likes to do things than on the attributes of the systems themselves.

One I'm in Word, it's pretty much six of one, half dozen of the other except.... the version for Windows is considerably less intuitive to me in its menus and organization than the version for Mac.

I work in a creative organization at Boeing. Back in the late 80s through the mid 90s as the company moved into the desktop computer world we actually were a mostly Mac organization because the professional applications we used for creative work--- video editing, photo treatment, graphics--- were initially developed for Macs. But eventually, initially for financial reasons, Boeing standardized on PC and today the only Macs around anymore are those that run applications that simply aren't available for PCs.

Most of the folks in my organization--- which includes writing, graphics, CGI (computer generated imagery), photography, video, web design, exhibit design, interactive media, etc. are like me and use Macs at home and PCs at work. And to hear most of them talk, they absolutely despise working with Windows-based software even if they are the same applications they use at home on their Macs.

But.... if I go down the hall and talk to the folks in this building who are part of Finance, it's the exact opposite. They love their Windows and PCs (Boeing uses Windows 7 Enterprise) and think Macs are dumb.

If you're seriously contemplating a switch, Mark, I'd suggest you first get some hands-on time with a friend who uses a Mac and who is good at explaining the thinking behind the operating system before you actually decide to buy one. Mac/Apple might click with you and it might not.

PS--- Regarding the attributes that tend to make a person prefer Mac or PC/Windows, ponder this. As of a few years ago and so far as I know still, the company-wide computing system used by Southwest Airlines is Mac.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
It's no coincidence that almost every laptop and desktop computer you see being used in TV shows and movies is an Apple.
You are right, it is no coincidence. It's product placement. Set Dec was meticulous in making sure all the other laptop and desktop computers seen had their badges covered with Gaffer tape.

Iron Man movies were one big Audi commercial.

Suits = Lexus

Transformers = GM

Guardians of the Galaxy; what's the only brand label you remember from that movie? The only product that stands out? Sony.

Captain America; Chevrolet

It's amusing watching a film crew cover the badges and wheel hubs on a Crown Victoria with matt black ovals, when everyone watching the film still knows what it is.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #95
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
The best windows laptop was a MacBook a couple of years ago. Probably still is.
http://www.cnet.com/news/macbook-pro...indows-laptop/
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #96
Scraping Paint

Quote:
It's amusing watching a film crew cover the badges and wheel hubs on a Crown Victoria with matt black ovals, when everyone watching the film still knows what it is.
I just directed a shoot with a couple of Seahawks players and a 747 for a video that will shown in the stadium during an upcoming game. In the video the players drive up in one of Boeing's black Chevy Suburbans. In post I had to gray out the big gold Chevy logo in the middle of the Suburban's grill so it wouldn't be so obvious. We debated having one of our CGI designers create an entirely different grill for the vehicle and track it through the shot but it was decided that wasn't necessary in this case.

The use of Apple computers is not always product placement. It's because Apple computers, particularly the laptops, are the only things anyone has on the set. I've been in this situation myself on several occasions over the years. The only thing anyone had was a Macbook. On some occasions we blanked out the logo and on some we contacted Apple for permission to use the logo (like they'd ever say no, right?).

It would be just as easy to use PCs and Surfaces in TV shows and movies but in my observation nobody ever does. It's because in the production world Apples are cool and PCs aren't.

But you're correct, Hawg, branding is a major, major deal. In the Seahawks shoot a group of flightline mechanics comes over to watch the action. They were told to wear Seahawks-branded clothing for the shoot. We had just about finished shooting every scene on my storyboard when one of the Seahawks front office reps who was on the set noticed that one of the employees had a non-official logo on the front of her sweatshirt. It didn't matter that this was just a tiny background detail, an unofficial branding item could not appear in a Seahawks-approved video, period.

There was no way we or the players had the time to re-shoot all the scenes in which this shirt appeared. But in looking at it I realized I could remove the logo from the shirt in post. It took several hours of frame-by-frame effects work but I got it off the shirt and no one will be the wiser. But if we couldn't have done this the whole project would have been dead in the water because of this one tiny detail.

None of this was a surprise to me because we are as protective of our branding as the Seahawks are. We have a big book that spells out every single detail of how and when our logos can be used, the colors that can be used, and so on.

We do this with planes all the time. We remove logos and paint schemes, change them to another airline or our company livery, even make up our own logos and liveries and apply them to the planes in the scenes. Thanks to the magic of CGI this has actually become very easy today. Because God forbid you arouse the ire of somebody's Brand Police.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #97
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Find an Apple Store (normally at a large regional shopping mall) and try one out for as long as you like. Log onto trawlerforum and post photos and such from the store, they are all logged onto the net. The employees are quite knowledgeable and helpful at my local store.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #98
Guru

As for short cuts, all windows came with IE where you simply right click then create a shortcut. W10 comes with Edge which dropped that function.

IE is also included in Win 10...you just have to know how to access it:

Click on the start button (window pane icon in lower left corner)...click on All Apps...scroll down to Windows Accessories (the list is alphabetical, you'll find it under W)...click on the down arrow to drop down the list that includes IE... click on it to open it. If you right click on it, you'll get a menu that includes "pin to task bar" (Task bar is at the bottom of the desktop). Do that and you won't have to do all that every time you want to use it...you can just click on the icon in the task bar.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:10 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin
It didn't matter that this was just a tiny background detail...Seahawks front office reps who was on the set noticed...

On Schwarzenegger's Sixth Day it took 15 hours to shoot 2 pages of dialogue (about 2 minutes of actual film) with Arnold standing at a desk in the precinct. The dailies went to LA, were rejected and the next day the whole exercise was repeated; another 13 hours, with the desk turned 90 degrees. That was about the time "Executive Producers" (anyone with a few bucks in the film) started showing up on set and became a royal PITA.

"Since we are already here, why can't you make it snow and do the winter scene when the summer one is done?" "Can you find a spot for my niece?"

Until about 10 years ago branding, logos, copyrights and sensitivities were non issues. In film, Vancouver was Seattle in dozens and dozens of productions and cops always wore Seattle PD gak. I don't recall exactly when or why but word came across the line, no more SPD.

From then on cops and their cars were always generic; City, Metro, Town etc. No place names. Same with logos and even costumes. Retakes happen now when a bogie crosses the street a block away with the same color hat as the hero.

I could write a book on things missed on the day AND in post. Some funny stuff. Some meant to be fun stuff too, like the multi season TV series that had a hockey puck in every episode. Another where a cast was on a different arm one day, deliberately.

On set of Jet Lee's Romeo Must Die, props put a California rear plate (tag) on a bogie BC car and it drove away. Always wondered how long it was on there and who discovered it.

And now a PMs thread has morphed again.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:32 AM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress
...you just have to know how to access it:
Click on...click on...scroll down...you'll find it under W)...click on the down... click on it to open it...right click on it..."pin to task bar"
All that just to save a page by Peggy. If I didn't know better I might think you were trying to talk me out of 10.

Having issues with my Android phone and now Windows 10, I too may consider making a switch. Man, I hope I don't start dreaming about sailboats.