Old 11-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym
There is a huge difference between a PM (private message) and a "profile comment" which can only be done from a "profile page". Profile comments are readable by anyone that visits the profile page where they've been left until such time that the user deletes it.
Good that you pointed this out.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't understand why one posts a public notice they've sent a private message when the recipient will receive a notice they've received the message.
I believe there is confusion about PMs and the public comment which can be seen by all. Look at your messages on your profile. There's comments there.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Sheesh, guys! Some of the fora on which I participate--that use the same format is this one--offer the option of sending a PM or an email. And Fwiw, I HATE private messages ...I much prefer receiving private communication via email. Reason: It's FOUR steps to read and reply to a PM--1. see the email telling me I have one...2. log into the forum...3, click on the link to my PM inbox...4. read the message. Otoh, all I have to do to respond to an email from a forum member--whose email address is hidden, btw--is hit "reply" to his/her message. That does reveal my email address to the sender, but not to anyone else. Any reply to my reply reveals the senders email address, however the conversation is now taking place via email, totally private.

Cruisers.com, which uses the same software this forum does, offers the choice of PM or email, so I don't THINK it should be that hard to add that option here.
I think they both have their place. I like pm's better for people I don't know that well or are just doing a single communication with. For those I talk to regularly, I exchange email addresses and switch to it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:52 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Why in the world would any person place something on a PM or email that should be kept REALLY Private. Once you place anything into the ether of the world wide web... it is there forever and can be found by others... if they really want to.

Ask HRC!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Why in the world would any person place something on a PM or email that should be kept REALLY Private. Once you place anything into the ether of the world wide web... it is there forever and can be found by others... if they really want to.

Ask HRC!
People don't grasp that sometimes. Every day thousands of people lose their jobs or ruin their chances of jobs or college by posts on social media. Sometimes it's not even them posting but a "friend" posting on their timeline or to their twitter or other.

PM's here aren't automatically public like facebook. However, if it's someone you don't know well and in person, you really don't know that they'll keep it private. I'm not being distrustful in saying that as I think the vast majority you can trust. It's just that one you find sometimes than you can't.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #26
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't understand why one posts a public notice they've sent a private message when the recipient will receive a notice they've received the message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Mark--- Your logic is correct but the notice function is user-controlled, or it used to be. So if you didn't know to turn the notice function on you would not receive the notices when you signed onto the forum.
And some of us don't always notice if there is a PM. The way I use this brand of site software means I do not look at the top of the page very often so it is easy to miss a PM, sometimes for weeks, if not months.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #27
Guru

If you click on User CP, then new PM's also pop up. I am not sure whether that happens on "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" or not.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
And some of us don't always notice if there is a PM. The way I use this brand of site software means I do not look at the top of the page very often so it is easy to miss a PM, sometimes for weeks, if not months. Later,Dan
Unless you never check email either, it's hard to miss a notice that you have a PM...unless you've somehow managed to turn off the function in your profile preferences that notifies you via email that you have a PM.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The issue is not a good, bad or indifferent setup for PMs that TF utilizes. It is in this day and age nothing on the internet is sacrosanct. A read of the business pages finds a major breach or two is a common event in even presumably safe sites.

To state PMs on this forum are safe is merely a statement that nothing economically or politically is worth hacking into here. That is good enough for me.

But once you have been hacked or had your identity stolen it will hit home as to how any "general" internet site is vulnerable. Some here have experience in dealing with internet security and fraud. My musing are pale in comparison to their insider knowledge. But by knowing a few major corporate CIOs, the challenges they face are constant and getting ever more clever.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #30
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Unless you never check email either, it's hard to miss a notice that you have a PM...unless you've somehow managed to turn off the function in your profile preferences that notifies you via email that you have a PM.
Some websites using this software do not have email notifications turned on for PM. While I check my email frequently, I do not read all email and delete quite a bit of it, especially website email. A PM email would be easy to miss, if sent at all.

For TF, I have notifications turned on but I am seriously thinking of turning it off since it clutters up my in box.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don't do much social stuff on e-mail and i consider going there more or less a chore. Sometimes I go 4 or 5 days w/o looking at e-mail. but I'm on TF and FB just about every day. One thing i like about e-mail is that you can post pictures.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I don't do much social stuff on e-mail and i consider going there more or less a chore. Sometimes I go 4 or 5 days w/o looking at e-mail. but I'm on TF and FB just about every day. One thing i like about e-mail is that you can post pictures.
Oh, I'd never be able to do that. We never go a day without checking emails, business and social. That's like checking voice mail. I can't not do it. Now, facebook, twitter, and other social sites, we don't post ever.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Oh, I'd never be able to do that. We never go a day without checking emails, business and social. That's like checking voice mail. I can't not do it. Now, facebook, twitter, and other social sites, we don't post ever.
I'm with BandB on this one. Given that e-mail and texts come to every device we have at the same time--- phones, iPads, home computers--- it's easy to read and respond if we necessary to them no matter where we are or what we're doing.

Social media is a different story. It seems every day there are news items about serious problems someone has had as a result of some aspect of social media. While we have Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts we never use them to communicate with anyone. We so far have not had any reason to create a Facebook account.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I'm with BandB on this one. Given that e-mail and texts come to every device we have at the same time--- phones, iPads, home computers--- it's easy to read and respond if we necessary to them no matter where we are or what we're doing.

Social media is a different story. It seems every day there are news items about serious problems someone has had as a result of some aspect of social media. While we have Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts we never use them to communicate with anyone. We so far have not had any reason to create a Facebook account.
I agree with you and BandB.
Other than a forum or two, no social media for me. A friend allows me to read her Facebook just for fun and it is always enough to remind me why I don't use it. I shake my head at the crap people get caught up in and how vulnerable they make themselves and sadly, other people in their lives. Before Facebook, it was My Space and it should really be called My Face. No thanks

As well, in the early days of online shopping and money transfers, I had a bank account compromised by a very dumb employee of a high profile e-commerce company. Had a bank employee not filled me in "off the record" I would have never known who it was.

I text a bit with my boys and a couple friends but mainly use email for day to day communications. Mostly because it is easier to keep a record of the stuff I want to. I only open my inbox when notified, if I am expecting
something, otherwise I would be checking my phone every time one of you responds to a post and the mouse runs across the piano.

As for forum commanders and crew, well, at one time in another life, I was a short lived mod on a forum. Short lived because I did not like the culture behind the scenes and, knowing I could not change it, I resigned and left the forum. That was an eye opener.

One has to always be in touch with the fact that where there are people, there are risks.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Some myth abatement...
  • You can configure your account to e-mail you an alert of a PM.
  • You can configure your account to set off a pop-up alert upon logging in that you have a PM
  • you can configure your account to disable PMs and all e-mailed notices.
  • Comments left on member profiles are publicly view-able - do NOT confuse this with the PM function.
  • The site team is not able to read PM content.
  • Some e-mail functions (e-mail the member from their profile) have been disabled because spammers and other markety types often use this to sell stuff to members and so as a privacy matter it has been disabled.

And finally one last myth - white chocolate is NOT chocolate. Don't bother trying to use it to bribe the site team and especially me
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #36
Guru

City: AR
But once you have been hacked or had your identity stolen it will hit home as to how any "general" internet site is vulnerable.

I get emails all time from people--mostly older boat owners--announcing that their "email was hacked" and their changing their password. Their email wasn't "hacked" and changing their password won't help a bit because the miscreants didn't need a password, clicking on a link in an email--or even just opening an email you may or may not have thought was from someone you know (who'd also been "hacked' the same way), opened the door and invited them in. The only fix is a new email address, not a new password. Prevention: ALWAYS look a the actual return address,not just the (alleged) sender's name in the body of any email that isn't "normal" conversation . A good example fromy my own spam box...a notice that appears to be from gmail: "caution, you have delayed emails" and a link to "read emails." However, the actual return address is
"Secure Gmail Notifier <eqhtzo@ws132f." Doesn't look anything like a gmail or google address. But if you have a gmail address, I'd bet real money that 90% of you would have clicked on that link.

That so many people just "hit the cyberspace road" without even a smidgen of "driver ed"...If you took the same approach to marine navigation that you take to cyber navigation, you'd have sunk your boats before you got it out of the marina!
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #37
Guru

People who get caught in the email invasions are the same who are too polite and won't hang up on telemarketers. Will even share information. Get good spam filters and still watch carefully. People you don't know shouldn't be sending you emails, unless you're operating a business so look at the heading carefully and send them to your spam folder.

One thing I'd add. If you're going to give your email fairly freely online, sign up for things, exchange with acquaintances, I recommend a second email for that. Or third. Or fourth.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #38
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
When I had a govmt job, I was always vigilant about controlling mine and my direct reports' email so no personally identifiable info was disclosed. We also kept social media sterile-no bong hit pics or anything politically incorrect. But now that I am retired, I still protect my personal info, but I don't give a shit about the the PC police. It's one of those intangible benefits of being retired.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
...We also kept social media sterile-no bong hit pics or anything politically incorrect. But now that I am retired, I still protect my personal info, but I don't give a shit about the the PC police. It's one of those intangible benefits of being retired.
LOL!! Then you got a bong hit pic you can share?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #40

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBad View Post
I do believe PM's can be read in the database. There are also [or there was] add-on's so the admin can read PM's.
+1 ... the mods have limited access rights and no ability to track the PMs or read their content under normal circumstances.

The admins, whoever they are, with the full access to forum's files/database and enough time can track activities and read anything what was posted/hosted on the forum.