Picture posting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chc

Vessel Name
Scooter
Vessel Make
1984 Californian 34 LRC
I feel a bit slow asking the question, but I cannot get my pics to post in a neat fashion. I see other posts with pics that indicate a click is required to expand the image. Mine come in as monsters, or, after resizing, as small pics that are hard to see. Is this a function of my posting, or something the forum software does; similar to posting on a blog. I've done the upload procedure(s) but still don't seem to get the results I'd like. Certainly would appreciate any help.

Are your pictures stored on your Hard Drive as a .jpeg? Elwin

I take the pics from either the hard drive or right off the SD card in the camera; I believe they are JPEG's

You can tell if the extension is .jpg if it is .bmp or .gif it will cause a larger image.

The pics are jpg

I am out to dinner now & using my BlackBerry so when I get home I will check to see if there is some preset or option that can be changed when unloading.

Thanks so much; hope dinner was/is great.

Tks, yes it was great.

I*have no idea why you load it larger than normal, I use two methods as an thumbnail or full view as seen on this page. These are all .jpg's too. I checked to see if the transfer gives a option when uploading but it doesn't or I can't see it unless I had access to the data in the programming. Probably one of the moderators has this access and can fix it for you but as a user I can't.

I was trying different things and have a couple of questions. If you click on the little green icon above in your toolbox ( insert/edit image ), is there any info written in there? Also, do the full view picture that I posted, show too large and you have to use the slide bar to view it on your screen?

Elwin*

<a>
img_71770_0_04d78a043239179843f8f04afb97897e.jpg
</a>

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Friday 13th of January 2012 08:58:35 PM

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Friday 13th of January 2012 08:59:28 PM

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Friday 13th of January 2012 09:30:34 PM

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Friday 13th of January 2012 09:36:12 PM

Attachments

• img_2012.jpg
    img_2012.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 100
  • img_2055.jpg
    img_2055.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 117
So, in short, you just do the upload thing as per the posting page & it takes care of the sizing? I feel like I'm missing something; how does it end up as a thumbnail w/the option to expand?Maybe John or Doug will see this & jump in.

Thanks for your time & help. Glad dinner was good. Great pics

Just below here where you are replying there are a couple of buttons that say Show Preview and Hide Preview, then below that there are a couple of check boxes one for email and the other for Attach Image. Once you click the box for Attach Image(s) it will give you an option to upload your image from your file on your computer.

Elwin*

That's how I do it. Can you compress the picture prior to uploading so that it can then be expanded? Maybe that is the issue. Thanks again

No a compressed image will not load up or post here. Just click on the little green icon ( Insert / edit image ) in the toolbar when your reply to a post to see if there is any default data written in the Dimensions. Other than that, I have no idea why the thumbnail explodes on you.

Elwin*

There are at least 2 different ways of posting. The final image size depends on the size of your original - within reason I believe. In other words, you cannot post a 10 jillion by 20 jillion pic.

You can insert a pic like this:

6695045823_3a0481486a_z.jpg

I have this one stored on Flickr. It's free storage and it auto saves in different sizes. Just open an account, upload, right click on the pic and select "Copy Image Location". Paste into the Image URL box after clicking the little tree and you are done.

What some folks may find as being a bit easier is to just attach a pic. This actually stores the pic on the website and you have to click it to view it. The pic is uploaded directly to TF from your storage device. Like this:

Attachments

• boomarang at rest.jpg
    boomarang at rest.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 116
By the way, this area of the forum is a great place to try it for yourself. You know, a testing forum. That way you don't bug everybody with your pics of kids and dogs.

We want to see boats!!!
wink.gif

Ya Doug I agree, it depends on the format of the original image.*

Chris, what size are your image files?

Why don't you post a picture here to see how it uploads?

Here is a picture of our boats in the winter..

Elwin*

Attachments

• img_1880.jpg
    img_1880.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 112
OK; test pic attached

It is only 147K and should have loaded as a thumbnail.. hmmm*

When you open up the picture on the hard drive, did you just double clicked on that image or did you do a copy and paste?

Elwin*

Attachments

• sunrise high island nov 17.jpg
    sunrise high island nov 17.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 122
Did a double click. What should the size be to start with. Before I posted it, I resized to 1024x768 pixels. Would that make a difference?

Pixel wise isn't the problem. When I uploaded it, it was 1024 x 768 too. The largest size has to be less than 1Mb so I have no idea why it isn't posting as a thumbnail and posting as a full view image for you.*

Elwin*

Well, Elwin, thanks for your help. I'll keep experimenting here. Maybe something will fall into place. I'll try the Flickr thing at one point. Funny, when I post to our blog, I don't have any problem. Thanks again

Chris

You are welcome Chris... to bad we couldn't figure it out. Maybe the website programmer person can see what is going on.

Elwin*

6698577049_c861f10f15_z.jpg

Test pic. Bridge modification for added storage.

-- Edited by chc on Sunday 15th of January 2012 10:27:24 AM

-- Edited by chc on Sunday 15th of January 2012 10:33:48 AM

-- Edited by chc on Sunday 15th of January 2012 11:17:08 AM

-- Edited by chc on Sunday 15th of January 2012 11:23:25 AM

I can use Flickr to control the size w/o too much trouble, but no matter how I download the pic; copy, double click, etc I cannot get the expandable thumbnail to happen. I switched to FireFox as the browser, rather than IE8. Still no luck. If I could flag this with a flare or other distress signal I would. Thanks again for trying. Have a great day.

chc wrote:I cannot get the expandable thumbnail to happen.
Remember, to get the expandable thumbnail thingy to happen you have to click the box that says "Attach Image(s)". It's below the section where you type in your message. It is not in the menu of icons up above. You may have to scroll down on your screen to see it.

I try to limit my inline pics (those with the coding) to 600x800 so there is no need to scroll right and left to view the pic or subsequent text posts.*

[size="1"][i]-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 16th of January 2012 07:26:25 PM[/i][/size]

There may be a clue in Al's post. When I post a pic, I use the "Attach image" block, browse for the pic, double click it, and, magically, it appears in the little boxes, click "upload file" and wait for things to progress from there. The pics are in"JPEG" format going in, should they be in a different format? Gotta be an answer somewhere.
Thanks

FlyWright wrote:
I try to limit my inline pics (those with the coding) to 600x800 so there is no need to scroll right and left to view the pic or subsequent text posts.*

[size="1"][i]-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 16th of January 2012 07:26:25 PM[/i][/size]
[/quote]
I have also posted pictures both ways too but never limited it to 600x800 only to view it on my BlackBerry with the txt of the post so small to the left that I can't figure it out because everything moves over to fit the pictures. Oh well, dems the brakes when I'm trying to read this forum when I get a break at work.

I also stopped checking the "Email me whenever there is a new post to this topic" because I keep getting the alerts going off while I'm in meetings.

One day while in an important meeting I had my BB on vibrate and every 5sec's it was buzzin. What was happening was; I have an auto response to emails and txt on when in meetings or driving and I got into a loop where my BB sent a response and that email had an auto response so my BB answered only to have another one coming back and on it went. Also I got lots of noreply@activeboard Notifications of response to emails plus Delivery Status Notification... sheese technology at it's best*:clueless:

Elwin*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom