Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Photobucket images - not for forum use

Recently the image hosting service Photobucket changed their terms of use for account holders and no longer allow embedded images to be displayed on forums. As a result the forum had many threads lose their photo documentation.

Moving forward we will disallow links to Photobucket and ask that you store your images with the posted text that they were intended to augment, here on the forum.

Forum members can store images posts and threads using the attachment option found in the advanced reply editor or in photo albums set up in individual profiles. There is no cost to store images here and this will ensure that your content is not diminished by an image hosting service changing their minds about how your content is handled. Thanks for understanding.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Just testing.

File/picture didn't show up. Supposed attachment was from camera's memory.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Keep trying ...
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Egad, what is the world coming to ..... Mark can't post a pic!

Mark - the last few times you have posted pics all I see is a message about needing to update my account for whatever photo hosting service you were using. I have no interest in doing that. But if I click on the link to that photo in the email alert about your post (to a subscribed thread) then I get the pic in a new tab. I did it once, but probably won't bother in future. If you want to post a pic, just do what the lady says and upload it to the forum! Not that I'm teliing you to post more pics....
Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Photobucket and two other photo-storage sites have effectively stolen my photos!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Photobucket and two other photo-storage sites have effectively stolen my photos!
You deleted the originals after uploading!?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Mark is one of the very best on TF about image posting. It's a shame that we can no longer return to his older posts and see the [usually interesting] photo originally associated with it. He can likely still access his own images, but re-uniting them with his TF posts would be a project. On the other hand, his Coot is already in magnificent condition, so what else does he have to do?!?!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: ??
Vessel Name: ??
Vessel Model: ??
Then what is the point of photobucket at all?
Maybe they shot themselves in the foot.
I noticed this on several other forums. The warning and no photos where photos had been before.
I had been thinking of using P.B. but I guess I will stop.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Well, that's progress... (just an opportunity for them to make more money and piss off a bunch of others).

However, their new policy implies that past photos on third part sites will not be disturbed and still viewable, just can't do it in the future, unless you pay. That's the way I read their policy but posted a question to be sure.

As for this site, Janet pointed out our option to up load pix in our own album. I didn't even know it was there. But I recently posted a photo from PhotoBucket the I replaced with the built in album and worked great.

I would hate if PB changed a policy that reflected on past work.

For my reference, are there other good sites for photo hosting? My only use would be to post them on 3rd party forums.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Ak
Vessel Name: Nadezdha
Vessel Model: 1972 Beaver 36
I have heard good reviews of smugmug.com for photo hosting and recently made the switch to them in response to photobucket's ridiculous move. Since I like the ability to post photos on a couple different forums, plus sharing with friends and family directly, using a hosting service makes more sense for me than using each forum's available photo space.

Smugmug has a free 14-day trial after which a user must select one of the monthly/yearly pay plans. The prices look quite reasonable: https://www.smugmug.com/plans

I've long known I was going to have to ditch photobucket for a number of different reasons...was just too lazy to do it until now. I recently downloaded all of my photos from their site, album by album (sub-albums don't automatically download with each mother-album, you must do them individually). I also sent some feedback to their support email address, which got a useless automated response in return.

So far I like smugmug pretty well. There are several other options and a quick Google search for 'photobucket alternatives' will easily lead to more info.

Just FYI.
BrotherDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Guru

Seems like some forums can just upload a photo from one's computer and that works great. I'd MUCH prefer just keeping all of them on my computer and uploading only to that site as necessary.

Photobucket only fills in the gap for forums that do not have upload from computer capability or a photo album like we have here.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I have heard good reviews of smugmug.com for photo hosting and recently made the switch to them in response to photobucket's ridiculous move. Since I like the ability to post photos on a couple different forums, plus sharing with friends and family directly, using a hosting service makes more sense for me than using each forum's available photo space.

Smugmug has a free 14-day trial after which a user must select one of the monthly/yearly pay plans. The prices look quite reasonable: https://www.smugmug.com/plans

I've long known I was going to have to ditch photobucket for a number of different reasons...was just too lazy to do it until now. I recently downloaded all of my photos from their site, album by album (sub-albums don't automatically download with each mother-album, you must do them individually). I also sent some feedback to their support email address, which got a useless automated response in return.

So far I like smugmug pretty well. There are several other options and a quick Google search for 'photobucket alternatives' will easily lead to more info.

Just FYI.
Brother Dave,

Good info, but I'm just not going to pay for that service. I'm so tired of little bills adding up....

Phone
Fax
Storage
Email
Weather
Subscriptions
Shopping
Etc, Etc. adnausium.....

To the point that I'd been up in the thousands per month... so I just dropped a bunch and don't miss them. Individually, they are cheap. But as a whole, they're cutting into beer money.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Seems like some forums can just upload a photo from one's computer and that works great. I'd MUCH prefer just keeping all of them on my computer and uploading only to that site as necessary.

I think that's what Janet was pointing to -- "the attachment option" -- in the third para of her opening post.

-Chris
Old 07-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
For my reference, are there other good sites for photo hosting? My only use would be to post them on 3rd party forums.
I use Fotki and have for 16 years (and 11 gigs of photos). Its a paid site (reasonable) and I have over 14,000 images available for sharing anywhere...Works good for me..I can upload my phone pics via their mobile site easily and link to any forum with no intrusive advertising.
It was inevitable that the "free" sites would move in this direction..Most have over the years.

Fotki has apparently picked up on the Photobucket changes as noted on their home page and offers a transfer option..

http://www.fotki.com/us/en/
Old 07-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #15
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Keep your photos on your hard drive. Forget these hosting outfits. The attachments on TF work great. It's not even necessary to "resize" them. Just attach and forget. Try to upload them in "landscape" form. "Portrait" will post the photos on their side.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

That sounds like a good solution for you. Maybe not for everyone.

I keep my photos on a hosting site for lots of reasons. I can edit them easily from any computer connected to the internet. I can organize them into galleries. If my family wants to see the photos from our last weekend camp-out on the boats or if they want to see pics from my last commercial fishing trip, they can browse through them. If grandma wants to download a pic of the kids to put it on a coffee mug as a surprise bday gift, it's easy to do. Maybe a family member wants to pick out a dozen pics and make a calendar. Maybe you want to post a screenshot of your washdown pump on 3 different boating related web sites and solicit input on how to wire it up or repair it...much more convenient with a hosted pic vs attaching repeatedly on each site.

My pics are backed up on external USB storage devices but I use several different computers so keeping them all on a hard drive isn't practical for me.

To each, their own.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Not a bad option Brother Dave. Thanks for the link.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
"However, their new policy implies that past photos on third part sites will not be disturbed and still viewable, just can't do it in the future, UNLESS YOU PAY. That's the way I read their policy but posted a question to be sure."

I do believe that is referred to as 'blackmail'.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think that's what Janet was pointing to -- "the attachment option" -- in the third para of her opening post.

-Chris
Ranger,

Saw that, but have no clue how to use it, not intuitive. Do you know how?

====
Also in the camp of keeping all my photos on my computer... not someone else's. Much easier to manage, find or send to someone. Using Photobucket is a pain and takes 3x longer to load a photo. Yea, different strokes.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yeah, photobucket troubles started a long time before this move to block 3rd party photo links. It became more and more clumsy and cluttered as years went by.

I reckon no one will miss them when the dust clears.