Photo Sub Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So... Here's my .02 cents...

We try to offer a number of options for images to meet various needs. Often discussion threads about repairs and refits need images in the posts to be really useful and so loading images in posts is a great option.

Many members however want to document a long project or post many images about a trip or event and so we also have albums available. You can set up multiple albums , one for each topic... e.g. "My recent refit", "spring trip to ALaska", etc.

You can add a link to your post to an album image and that image will display in the post as well as the album.

We added the rotating image display at the top of the board yesterday to increase traction for albums and because it's interesting. That said, you can close that banner if you don't want to view the rotating images. Personally I like them - log in or refreshing the page changes the images and it's sort of like playing the TF slots....

I have an alternative suggestion for a photo contest that has worked well on another board I participate at...

A thread is started each month (offtopic forum) on a photo contest topic. Entries are added to the thread. At the end of the month the person who started the contest picks a winner. The winner is responsible for the new months contest and starts a new thread. it's fun and low hassle. Best of all it groups up a lot of similar pics. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I agree with Flywright's and Giggitoni's position. This is a boating forum. It's terrific that the format allows posters to include relevant photos with their posts about boating topics. Some of them are truly outstanding photos, and that's great.

But this isn't a photography forum. There are probably a zillion of those in existence already to say nothing of things like Photobucket. While there are a number of people on this forum who are interested in photography, and some like Murray who are professionals in the field, and who would be delighted to talk about all sorts of photography topics, the bottom line is that this isn't a forum about that subject.

We have an Off Topic "bucket" that can be used for just that--- discussions about things that don't have to do with boating. What the limitations may be with regard to how that bucket should be used I have no idea.

And as Flywright has pointed out, there is a mechanism for putting an album of one's favorite photos of any subject on the forum as an element of their profile.

For the last bunch of decades I have worked in commercial television and am currently a film/video producer/director as well as an author. If I want to discuss videography or editing or directing or writing techniques, equipment, etc. in a public forum environment, I'm going to go to a forum that is dedicated to those topics. If I want to discuss or read about boating subjects, and that can include looking at people's photos of boats and equipment and shots from cool voyages and Eric's pictures of anchors:), then I come to this forum.

So my opinion is that if a member of this forum wants to dig deep into displaying photos of birds and mountains and trees and talk about cameras and lenses and post-production photo treatment techniques and whatnot, then they should do so on a forum (or start one themselves) that is dedicated to those topics.

This one isn't it.

See post # 9 at 6:40 last night. We have moved on from a forum to discussing the value of albums.

I have an alternative suggestion for a photo contest that has worked well on another board I participate at...

A thread is started each month (offtopic forum) on a photo contest topic. Entries are added to the thread. At the end of the month the person who started the contest picks a winner. The winner is responsible for the new months contest and starts a new thread. it's fun and low hassle. Best of all it groups up a lot of similar pics. Just a thought.

Whatever structure I'd be in for that. Are drone pics allowed! :angel:

While there are a number of people on this forum who are interested in photography, and some like Murray who are professionals in the field...

Nope. I lean more towards the fine art end of things (traditional wet darkroom B&W prints from large format negatives) so I have a day job to pay the bills. What I post here are my dabblings/snap-shots in colour with a digital camera.

Interested in non-digital photography? Try www.apug.org

Nope. I lean more towards the fine art end of things (traditional wet darkroom B&W prints from large format negatives) so I have a day job to pay the bills.

Ahh... Sorry, my mistake. I know you have a job in another field but I thought I recalled reading some time ago that you sold the prints you make from your large-format film camera negatives.

PS--- The ones I've seen you post on the forum in the past certainly seemed worthy of that.

Last edited:
Ahh... Sorry, my mistake. I know you have a job in another field but I thought I recalled reading some time ago that you sold the prints you make from your large-format film camera negatives.

PS--- The ones I've seen you post on the forum in the past certainly seemed worthy of that.

Thanks.

Sorry, but I kind of recoil from the professional photographer label...brings up images of school portrait or wedding photographers, not that there's anything wrong with those pursuits, just that doing them are about the last things I'd ever want to do!

The label 'professional photographer' is too vaugue...kind of like saying you do painting for a living, which covers everything from painting houses to producing fine art paintings for art galleries.

House renovations almost done...last item on the list is the new darkroom :)

I'll say it....I'm not interested in other's artsy photos on TF! This is a boating forum. I would rather see photos of one of us struggling to install a new impeller in a raw-water pump. Most TF members would benefit from that.

I'm a member of forums that explore photography(Nikonians) and shooting sports (1911 forum and others). I personally enjoy those subjects. Every time we bring up guns and boats on TF, the subject crashes and burns. Like it should. TF is a boating forum, not a gun

Let's keep TF for boating...not unrelated topics such as photography, guns, etc.

This is my opinion and others may disagree and vote me into a different century:)! What say you!

Ditto here. Single focus should equal great results.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

We've had lots of photo threads. I see no reason not to have more.

I posted a photo thread on our trip down from Alaska. That was a long one. I think there's been several sunset threads. Seems to me they have all have used photos as a medium of expression rather than the actual subject matter itself.

Perhaps that's where menzies deviates from the norm of the past.

We've had lots of photo threads. I see no reason not to have more.

I posted a photo thread on our trip down from Alaska. That was a long one. I think there's been several sunset threads. Seems to me they have all have used photos as a medium of expression rather than the actual subject matter itself.

Perhaps that's where menzies deviates from the norm of the past.

Eric, the photos which accompanied your description of your migration from Alaska to Washington state were very enjoyable, to me anyway! The images brought your story to life, visually. That's why, in my opinion, we are lucky to have a way to post photos on the forums. However, photos, for photos sake, just doesn't do it for me :). Not on TF anyway.

Your basic troglodyte here. I'd like to be able to rotate pics like you can in Facebook. I'd like to be able to re-order pics in an album like you can in Facebook. I'd also like to re-order albums in the list (you cannot in Facebook).

Back
Top Bottom