Old 03-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
TF Site Team
City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
New Mobile browsing option | Mobile skin

We have a new browsing option to view the site while on mobile devices.

As you know the forum has a mobile app that you can download and use for mobile browsing but we now have a second option as well, with no download needed. The forum has a new mobile view that you can select or unselect.

When you navigate to the site on a mobile device you should see the new mobile skin (unless you are using the mobile app). If you don't have the app loaded on your device you will receive the prompt to download it - you can just dismiss the prompt and continue on to the mobile skin.

If you want to see the full site instead, you can scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and there is a link to return to the full site view. The mobile skin is a great option for a small screen and designed to be fast and light. Not every feature of the full site is supported but for daily browsing and posting it should be awesome.

If you are browsing on a large tablet you may not see the mobile skin automatically but again can scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the mobile skin from the style chooser option box (lower left).

Name:  TF_skin.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  10.9 KB

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Is this for Apple devices only or also android? I'm not seeing the link on my droid tablet.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
It worked fine on my Droid phone as well as laptop w/ Win 7 & Chrome
MS 34 HT Trawler
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Dauntless Award
City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148

I'm sort of not understanding. If we have the app already installed on our devices, will we get the option?

If not, is the app still better or what??
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently in Western Europe
Find us:
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
TF Site Team
City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
If you have the app on your phone, you can still use it.

If you want to use the new mobile skin instead you will need to either disable the app, or use another browser on your device and navigate to the site. When you are prompted to use the app, close the prompt. One small devices the mobile site should load automatically (if you are not using the app).

If you are using a tablet, it may not automatically load. You may see the regular web view of the site. That's fine but if you WANT the mobile view instead, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the mobile skin.

Just to be clear - the mobile skin should work for both android and IOS and is NOT the same as the mobile APP (which requires a download). We have 3 viewing options:

1. Regular full web view - most often used by those on PCs or large tablets.

2. The Forum Mobile APP. This requires a download from google play or itunes and is for mobile devices only.

3. The new mobile skin which will work on any device including a PC and doesn't require any download. The new mobile skin is not better or worse than the app - just a little different
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Experienced it yesterday for the first time on my iPhone 6. Takes some adjusting (as does anything new) but I'm starting to like it. One difference is that the "new Posts" feature shows all new posts, including the Off Topic Forum, that I don't see on the regular forum site. (Which is fine.) I tried the mobile app some time ago and it wasn't for me, but this seems to be a good solution for my iPhone.
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Looks and works great on my LG G3 using Android 5 and Chrome browser.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I opted back to the "Full Site" option after trying it for a day on my I-6. When selecting a forum thread, it simply takes me to the first page and first share each time instead of the last post I read. Additionally, today I started getting local ads appearing over the page at the bottom that I have to manually select to put away, making a small screen to view posts even smaller. Not as friendly.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
City: Hotel, CA
That's been my experience too Larry. App works great from my iPhone 5 and no ad clutter to deal with.

Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote