Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Be like one of the yacht clubs I belong to, everyone is a Vice Comodore, there is no comodore or ordinary members
Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club check it out on the net

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
So, you're suggesting a poll? Hahahahaha.......

Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I can see both sides. Mr. Marin's-titles unnecessary and Ms. Janet's-really good fun, and Mr. Bruce K's-Newbie assistance. OK, three sides...and probably more...(personally I'm on the fun side of this).
Now the matter arises of how to assign these "titles" if any, in fact, are to be used.
If using naval rankings, based on the fact that TF is a truly global entity (and that's a GREAT thing isn't it?), who's navy do we use? I think naval rank designations DO vary. Using US navy criteria does not enter into the picture in spite if the fact the site is US based IMHO. Remember think GLOBALLY.
I also feel volume of posts should be recognized but should it be done in a manner other than a simple number below the avatar or with a title based on that volume?
The same holds true on VALUE of posts but who's to judge that value? A newbie who doesn't realize that twins are better than singles....Uh oh...not going THERE...or the veteran who KNOWS that a schedule is a potential killer on a boat.
With ALL due respect Ms. Janet your suggestions of Cabin Boy, Laundry officer etc. are, as Mr. Marin suggested, silly and I do NOT mean any insult. PLEASE believe me. The very thought of Cabin Boy brings to mind the Royal Navy of the 1800's but let's not go there. Admiral? There can only be ONE admiral on my ship!
I think, for the time being, and baring any further inter-member friction, each member should be able to choose their own "title", listed with their # of posts. This SHOULD allow for those too humble to self acknowledge the value of their posts, those who wish to "blow their own horn" and those who, like myself, just want to be foolish.
Might I suggest Esoteric Builder for Mr Hendo78 who, in my opinion is doing one hell-of-a job both in his rebuild and in his posting of progress. GREAT!!!!
Myself, I'm sticking with Enigma for the time being.
Thank you.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #24
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
As I have mentioned before, I think the whole title thing is silly. I would much prefer to see the same practice followed here that is used on the Grand Banks forums which simply has the person's name over their avatar photo and then underneath the photo when the person joined, their number of posts to date, and information supplied by the user like boat name, type, length, and home port--- so the same information that is displayed under the photo in TF avatars currently.

The only titles I think are appropriate and useful to attach under a member's name are Moderator or Adminstrator if they are one.
I agree with this. But if we want to keep it silly:

Mary Ann
Ginger
Professor
The millionare
His wife
Gilligan
Skipper
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
I suspect that those who need a title may have little else to offer.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Holy crap you guys! When did you guy turn into such curmudgeons? Let's all try and enjoy this place. We have to have titles. I understand Marin's position, but he's not going to like any of you more by agreeing with him It's not like anyone pays any attention to them, but if they do, it should either make them smile or give them some indication of a member's status. So let's try to have some fun with this and not take everything so seriously. It's why we were asked to close the HoF thread.

I love this idea:
Mary Ann
Ginger
Professor
Thurston Howell III
Lovey (or Eunice Wentworth)
Gilligan
Skipper

But this is good too:
Seaman Recruit
Seaman
Petty Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Ensign
Lt. Commander
Captain
Admiral

I will try one myself:
(Well, I got nuttin'... I will have to think about it some more)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
OK, well it's hard to believe that we're doing this for "software" requirements, but something simple then:

Mate
First Mate
Chief
Commander
Captain
Admiral
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I suspect that those who need a title may have little else to offer.
I think, all things considered, RickB's comment may be the longest lasting and provide's insurance against the possibility of the Forum being designed by committee. (A horse, designed by committee, is a camel!) TF has been working well with a little tweak now and then.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
I bin called alot of names over the years.

But

Realy
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #30
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I asked for and got my subtitle. I am a happy camper
Pilgrim 40 Hull #18
Kemah, Texas
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
I bin called alot of names over the years.

But

Realy
You get a 10% discount
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
You already have some members that have “custom” titles which implies a special status. Who will decide the status for the rest of us and what criteria will be used? If titles are assigned by post count, or by relevant content, then, as previously mentioned, you are doing the readership a disservice.
Several times I have read something posted by a current “guru” where the statement was inaccurate and was not corrected by other members. A visitor or “newbie” could come to the Forum and get some bad information (not stated that it is their “opinion”) from a member whose title is “Admiral” or “Commodore” or some other title that would have the unsuspecting reader believe that what they are reading is “gospel” when in reality, it is bogus.

There are also some folks (members) that have thousands of posts that I simply pass over because they are always confrontational, self-aggrandizing, or irrelevant. If you go by the number of posts, you could give these folks any title you want and it still would not reflect their true “status”.

You asked the members for their input and you got a pretty clear response that the titles are not necessary or even liked. Some members like to have fun with their posts (I do) and some don’t. Some take things lightly and some very seriously. As an administrator you can’t dismiss the folks that seriously don’t want a title, be it silly or not.

I suggest you fix the software to allow members to either choose their own title, choose not to have a title, or change the title you have assigned to them. KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Several times I have read something posted by a current “guru” where the statement was inaccurate and was not corrected by other members. A visitor or “newbie” could come to the Forum and get some bad information (not stated that it is their “opinion”) from a member whose title is “Admiral” or “Commodore” or some other title that would have the unsuspecting reader believe that what they are reading is “gospel” when in reality, it is bogus.

This is the whole point. On the two GB forums everyone who participates for any time at all soon learns who the knowledgeable posters are who doesn't know so much. No titles have ever been used although the number of posts is included. But everyone on those forums knows that when Bob Lowe or Mike Negley or Tom Overs posts advice or an experience it's well worth heeding or following.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Quote:
You already have some members that have “custom” titles which implies a special status.
These were assigned by the site team or upon request at one point and you are correct, that it seems somewhat selective. Having a more standard scheme with high post count members being able to select their own titles seems more fair and high post count members get a small reward for sticking around...

Quote:
There are also some folks (members) that have thousands of posts that I simply pass over because they are always confrontational, self-aggrandizing, or irrelevant.
This is a hazard on any board, sadly

Quote:
You asked the members for their input and you got a pretty clear response that the titles are not necessary or even liked..... I suggest you fix the software to allow members to either choose their own title, choose not to have a title, or change the title you have assigned to them. KJ
There are limits to what we can reasonably do to the software. While some folks have expressed an opinion about titles being irrelevant, the continued number of requests we get for custom titles flies in opposition to this assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
This is the whole point. On the two GB forums everyone who participates for any time at all soon learns who the knowledgeable posters are who doesn't know so much.
Titles are of most benefit for new members who do use them as a metric but also often aspire to the next "level". These same titles also contribute to the unique 'culture' of a community; they can be a good addition. If, as a high post count member you didn't want to participate I suppose that you could always fill your usertitle line with this: . or this: xoxoxo and who knows, you might even attract an admirer but please don't assume that others aren't interested in a new title or post so stridently as to silence them. There is clearly interest and we are working hard to find some good solutions.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

City: -
Janet--- Don't know about the "aspire to the next level" thing. This is just a casual internet forum, not a company. But I think your suggestion above of "choose your own including having none" is probably the best compromise. What people pick will probably help indicate to newcomers who to give credibility to and who maybe not so much.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Can spaces be inserted as names to satisfy the software and accommodate those who want no title?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Can spaces be inserted as names to satisfy the software and accommodate those who want no title?

I don't know and will do some research....
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #38
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Some people take these titles too seriously (or believe others do.) "Master and Commander": ha ha ha ha ha
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
Guru

Wow, can I give myself a Knighthood? Always wanted to be Sir Bruce K.......
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #40
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Wow, can I give myself a Knighthood? Always wanted to be Sir Bruce K.......
That suit of armor would be rough on the new teak Sir Bruce K.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote