Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
e-mail notice

I can't seem to stop those e-mail notices. Every day I have to delete about 20.
I want them to stop.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
FF
Guru

I want them to stop.

DITTO!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Stop posting ....

now look what I've done

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #4

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Go to User Control Panel. Shown as 'User CP' on the left side of the red menu bar on the home page.

Under Settings and Options (left side menu), click 'Edit Options'.

In the 'Messaging & Notification' window, go to 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'

In that sub-window, using the drop down menu, click 'No Email Notification'

This might do the deed!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Larry H,
That did the trick a couple weeks ago after the Forum re-launch for me. After doing so you need to un-subscribe from the threads you posted in prior to setting the default at your control panel.

Janet H may need to help manyboats and FF as they post in a LOT of threads
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Olypen
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Janet H may need to help manyboats and FF as they post in a LOT of threads

I can do that - just let me know as I would be deleting all subscriptions for each of you
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I want them to stop.
And I thought I was "Internet incompetent."
Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Guru

I got mine to stop after two tries via the user CP route.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #9

I forgot to mention in my instructions that there is a SAVE button that must be clicked to change the 'options'. It's at the very bottom of the page. (Scroll way down)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Guru

Mark,
Internet incompetent eh? Well I've come a long way since I started on this forum but that was back in 53 I think.

Janet,
Subscriptions? If I studied the CP stuff I could probably figure that out too.

Larry,
Yup.....I now see the "save" at the bottom of the page. Think I got it now. Thanks very much. See you in the Broughton's. Where do you normally go?

CPseudonym,
Yea I post a lot. Helps me in my wilderness isolation. And I am in the wilderness. About 50 miles NW of Ketchikan. I need to take a ferry or a float plane to see a stoplight.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
CPseudonym,
Yea I post a lot. Helps me in my wilderness isolation. And I am in the wilderness. About 50 miles NW of Ketchikan. I need to take a ferry or a float plane to see a stoplight.
That sounds like a mighty fine place to be

I'm sure there are drawbacks, but for us poor working slobs it sounds like solitude
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #12

Eric,

Our marina/resort of choice in the Broughtons is Shawl Bay Marina. It is in Shawl Bay about 10 miles north of Echo Bay. Both are 'findable' on the charts. If we are in Shawl, we have internet access. As you come south, I would expect you will stop at Shearwater Marina, near Bella Bella. They have wifi, so give a shout from there. After Shearwater, its 3 to 5 days travel to the Broughtons. If you are needing more 'town' after crossing the Queen Charlotte Sound, both Port Hardy and Port McNeil have wifi.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Guru

CPseudonym,
Yup....there are some drawbacks. But we had a good time.

Larry,
Yes.....Shawl Bay will be easy to find. We will be stopping at Shearwater. Washing machines, showers, resturant and store grub. And I can use my i-pad to say hello. And charge all the "things" up w the 110vac. We will be 4 to 7days from Shearwater as we want to cruise Hakai Rec Marine Park and Seymour Inlet. We may go to Port McNeill and call you from there or stay on the east shore of Queen Charlotte Strait ??? We'll be cruising Indian time so best guess is about 2 months from now...or more.

A comment on topic:
Still getting the notifications. I thought I had it wupped ?????
Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric--- A couple of places you can check out to stay on your way south near the north end of Johstone Strait are Lagoon Cove http://www.lagooncovemarina.com/ and for that really secluded spot, Potts Lagoon on Cracroft Island. Here is the website for a rental cabin there which would be of no interest to you but you can get an idea of the place from their site. http://crabincabin.com/index.htm We've been to Lagoon Cove in the Arima when we've been out fishing. It's right around the corner from Minstrel Island, or what's left of it. When we go up fishing this June I think we'll run over and check out Potts Lagoon, which is nearby. I've read about but never seen it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Guru

Larry, Marin,
I checked out Shawl Bay and Lagoon Cove. May do both.

Janet H,
Please make the e-mail notices go away. I went through Larry's drill several times and they just keep coming. Also (and even worse) is the fact that 7 or 8 times in the last month my posts have disappeared while working on the post. All of a sudden the screen flickers around a bit and I'm back on the thread and my message is GONE. I type w one finger and it dos'nt make me happy........ especially on a long post. How can that happen?

Eric Henning (manyboats)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Also (and even worse) is the fact that 7 or 8 times in the last month my posts have disappeared while working on the post. All of a sudden the screen flickers around a bit and I'm back on the thread and my message is GONE. I type w one finger and it dos'nt make me happy........ especially on a long post. How can that happen?

Eric Henning (manyboats)
Eric, you're obviously cursed by the Internet spirits.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Eric--- Lagoon Cove can be a bit "yachty" at times. Depends on who's in there at the time. They used to have a tradition of a big shrimp boil-up either every evening or once a week. Never been to it but heard good things about it.

But the bay it's on probably has good anchoring if you don't want to moor to their floats and it seems pretty protected in there. We've only stopped in in the Arima when we've been out exploring. Managers/owners were nice and we had pleasant experiences there both times.

Other than a guy with a 50-something foot cruiser with Detroits that when he started them up you could hear them in Seattle, and he started it and then left the engines idle at the dock for the better part of an hour. You couldn't even have a conversation at the picnic tables with those things running. It was actually a painful noise. But that was that one guy and had nothing to do with the resort itself.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
Guru

Thank's Marin,
Yea ...I suspected the "yachty" part ......a whole bunch of big white boats that screamed "money". We'd just go somewhere else. We may check it out.

Detroit Diesels loud??? Never heard of such a thing. That may be how old wives tales start. The guy next to us on the floats in Thorne Bay has a fishboat w a DD 6-53 and he LOVES to run it tied at the float. Dos'nt run at what you'd call an idle either and his DD noises are not offensive at all. His country western "music" outperforms his DD by a wide margin. When I'm inside our boat I hardly notice his Jimmies. He does have a dry stack and I'm sure that has a lot to do w it. Here's a pic of his boat before he took off the flybridge. Says he is less affected by windage now.

Mark,
Yea the spirit stuff IS getting annoying.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71538.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #19

Eric,
I have heard the boat that Marin refers to. It has straight pipes exhausting right out thru the transom. Named "Ranger", can be heard from miles away. I haven't seen that boat in a few years though.

Last year Lagoon Cove had the prawn boil every night at 'happy hour'. We have been there, but the crowd way not our style. Very friendly place, though. Has a fuel dock.

Another great place to stop is Port Harvey Marina. It is located at the head of Port Harvey just off the Johnstone Str. at the Broken Islands. It is a good place to stop prior to going south thru the Johnstone. If you go out and the Johnstone is bad, its not far back to their docks. There is also anchorage at the head of Port Harvey.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Eric- I've known three boats with Detroits. Two of them have 8V-71s. Two of them, a cruiser named Pier Pressure and the other a converted Columbia River fireboat, had wet exhausts. And both boats were deafening. When the owner of Pier Pressure fired it up, you could hear it all over the Bellingham waterfront.

The third boat is an LCM and it's 6-71s have dry exhausts using big semi-tractor mufflers. It is much quieter then the other two but it's still very noisy.