Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Connection has been reset

After a long period of behaving properly the forum is back to giving a "Connection has been reset" notice when opening the site or sending a post. Not every time obviously but a lot. As this happens only on this URL--- none of the many other URLs I open every day does this--- and as it happens on my Mac at home, my iPad, and the two PCs I use at work, and happens with Safari, Firefox, MS Explorer, and Chrome, my guess is it's an anomaly with the Forum software or hosting hardware.

Just thought I'd mention it.....

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
FWIW I come here at least daily, often more than once per day & I have never had any problems with this site whatsoever. Win 7 / IE8 and more recently on my Android.

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
No issues here either, across multiple platforms.

IE, Chrome, Android and Apple too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
No problems here.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
No problems here with Firefox & WIN XP.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
After a long period of behaving properly the forum is back to giving a "Connection has been reset" notice when opening the site or sending a post. Not every time obviously but a lot. As this happens only on this URL--- none of the many other URLs I open every day does this--- and as it happens on my Mac at home, my iPad, and the two PCs I use at work, and happens with Safari, Firefox, MS Explorer, and Chrome, my guess is it's an anomaly with the Forum software or hosting hardware.

Just thought I'd mention it.....
I periodically see the same thing when sending a post. I have attributed it to the wifi connection. But you're right, this is the only site that I see it.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Never had a problem Marin, using Firefox on MacBook.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42
No problem with Win7 and Firefox
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Well, it's still doing it. With Windows the warning is "Database Error." With Macs it's "Connection has been reset."

Just out of curiosity I asked some people at work to try it on their computers (PCs, Windows and Firefox) and the same thing happened. Eventually it starts connecting okay but it's a fairly frequent occurrence. No other URL that we try does this. Only TF.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Georgia
Works great here and at home on whatever it is I have, Windows on an IBM type machine that was made for me (office) and store bought (office depot) @ home. The netbook runs this well too, given some slack for the wi-fi connection. And on my travels I haven't had any problems connecting or posting that I'd say was site specific.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
No problems for me -- haven't seen that message at all. I access on Mac Book Pro and i-Pad, both using Safari, and no issues.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Guru

Was seeing that message, maybe 4 months back, not now. Was then using Windows Vista & Mozilla - Acer brand Notebook. BruceK
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Well, it's still doing it. With Windows the warning is "Database Error." With Macs it's "Connection has been reset."

Just out of curiosity I asked some people at work to try it on their computers (PCs, Windows and Firefox) and the same thing happened. Eventually it starts connecting okay but it's a fairly frequent occurrence. No other URL that we try does this. Only TF.
Marin, the fact it only seems to be an issue on your work computers gives me one idea. We recently had a web based app which was set to load on start-up, because it is one which allows patients to log on to a part of our system to make online appointments suddenly stop working. It proved quite a challenge until we twigged the virus buster software had automatically updated, and for some reason applied stricter filtering, and was blocking this site. Re-configuring the permissions re that site solved it. Is it possible your virus/malware protection app has done something similar..?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Marin, the fact it only seems to be an issue on your work computers gives me one idea.
It does it at work (PCs). It does it at home (Macs). It does it in my iPad (home, work, China) with AT&T 3G, wifi at home and in hotels, airports, coffee shops here and abroad. It does it on hotel executive lounge PCs. Only TF, never any other URLs.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
It does it at work (PCs). It does it at home (Macs). It does it in my iPad (home, work, China) with AT&T 3G, wifi at home and in hotels, airports, coffee shops here and abroad. It does it on hotel executive lounge PCs. Only TF, never any other URLs.
No problems on either my PC or iPad. I have never seen the problem ever.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Guru

User error?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Ah, well Marin, it's clearly got it in for you. You really must have p****d it of in some way, 'cause it's not doing it for anyone else it appears...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Guru

As I recall (a true feat these days) Mark was having problems at one time? Maybe he can shed some light on what the problem was (still is?) and how it got fixed if it ever was.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Guru

The only time we have this same issue is when our wifi provider is not working properly. The wifi in this marina is the worst we have ever experienced. When we connect anywhere else there is never a problem. This doesn't happen with just TF for us. It can be any site. My only suggestions would be to clear your internet cache, cookies, browser history and see if the problem stops. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
My only suggestions would be to clear your internet cache, cookies, browser history and see if the problem stops. Chuck
That would make sense if it was just one computer. But if one includes the computers I've used overseas and on the road that experienced the problem, we're talking about a whole bunch of computers of all types, mostly PCs but Mac/iPads, too.

User error is always a possibility. But I rule that out because eventually the URL will work with no change on what I'm doing. It's very intermittent and random. When it does this, it does it a lot. And then I won't experience the problem (on any device, anywhere) at all for weeks or even months. And then suddenly it will start doing it again.

It's not a big deal, it's just a bit annoying when it happens. I've described it (and showed it) to our video/IT engineer at work and his immediate diagnosis was that it's some sort of anomaly in the TF server software or hardware because of the wide variety of computers, search engines, and locations where it occurs. And I should add that I never experienced this issue with Baker's orginal forum. And, as I said, no other URL does this. Only TF.

So it's a mystery. I'm going to file it away though because it would be a great element in the book I'd like to try to write when I finish the one I'm working on now.