Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #41
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
That may be true, Marin, but the ASCII characters only take up a tiny fraction of the space. Pictures, graphics, and especially videos take up the majority of the space. This page alone, I would venture a guess that 99% of the space needed is NOT text. One avatar takes more space than the text on the entire page.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
So getting rid of the archives older than a year would eliminate thousands and thousands of photos, videos, and avatar pictures, right? Sounds like a hell of a lot of drive space eliminated.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #43
Guru

Not really. The way I understand it, the GUI interface (where the avatars reside) is not archived. There is basically one copy of your avatar and it accesses it only on a as-needed basis. The only things archived are ASCII files, and pics that have been uploaded. And come to think about it, even the videos don't reside in the archives. Just the link to the YouTube file. But I am not 100% on that one.

I think you are headed down the wrong path with this. I could be wrong, but there has to be another answer. One thing you could try is to open another account. The software will red-flag it for coming from the same IP address so you might have to wait for Janet to approve it, but it should still allow you to open a new account. Then we can see if it's a problem with your account specifically.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

Haven't been having the issue for several days now. As I said, it seems to come and go. But when it occurs it occurs frequently no matter where I am or what kind of device I'm accessing the web on. Then it stops and it may be weeks before it occurs again. Very strange since it doesn't seem tied to any type of computer or operating system, any specific search engine, any type of web access, or any particular location.

And while I agree that this issue is unlikely connected to the number of posts, I do think the archives of the forum (and any forum) plays a negligible role and other than a short buffer period could well be eliminated without making any difference to the value of the forum. If it would reduce costs to the forum ownership I'd have no problem with its elimination. If nothing else I would like to see my seven thousand and something posts removed, and if the administration can do it I would request that they do. You could probably design an airplane using the server space they occupy.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #45
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
And while I agree that this issue is unlikely connected to the number of posts, I do think the archives of the forum (and any forum) plays a negligible role and other than a short buffer period could well be eliminated without making any difference to the value of the forum. If it would reduce costs to the forum ownership I'd have no problem with its elimination. If nothing else I would like to see my seven thousand and something posts removed, and if the administration can do it I would request that they do. You could probably design an airplane using the server space they occupy.
I disagree on the role of the archived posts. I consider it basic forum etiquette to search the archives before making early posts. I realize that not everybody does that but I don't think we need to penalize those who do have good manners. I haven't reviewed the TOS but I assume we sign away any intellectual rights to what we post here. In that event the collective wisdom in the archives is the IP of the forum and if it belonged to me I wouldn't be too quick to erase it.

While you do get a little windy at times Marin your posts are usually well thought out and logically presented. Someone looking for specific topics that you have commented on would have a lessened experience if those posts were removed.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #46
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Someone looking for specific topics that you have commented on would have a lessened experience if those posts were removed.
I don't agree but it's a matter for the forum owners, not me other than making them aware that I'd be happy seeing all my previous posts deleted if it saves them some money.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #47
Guru

Problem is,if you remove some posts,others may no longer make sense (assuming they originally did) because the context in which they were written is gone, and continuity is lost. Removing the posts of just one contributor, especially a major one,could make a thread discordant and unhelpful to anyone coming to it afresh. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #48
Scraping Paint

My point is that I suspect very few people actually use the archives other than perhaps trying to find information about a specific product or company. My posts almost never contain that sort of information so I don't believe anything people actually use the archives for will be affected by the presence or absence of my previous posts.

It's no big deal either way. Maybe it's because of what I do but I hate cluttering up storage space with data that's no longer relevant.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It's no big deal either way.
Glad you feel this way. Let's all let go the idea of deleting your old posts and try and focus on why you keep getting this error. It would be like Bruce said. Threads that would indeed be helpful to people would then become fragmented. There are a LOT of lurkers here that DO use the search function. It would be unfair to them to lose all the info you have provided because you have a hunch there is a problem with it. Hopefully, Andy and/or Janet will push your case up to the folks at the hosting site and the forum software people. We are aware of the problem and are waiting for a reply. Arguing about hypothetical solutions is... well... a waste of the disc space you advocate saving.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Are you still having this problem with the reset message?

If so... have you noticed if it's happening at any specific time?
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Hasn't done it for a few days now. When it does start doing this it is not confined to any particular time of day. And as described, when it starts happening it happens on every computer I use, Mac, PC, or iPad, and on any search engine--- Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Explorer. The location and internet access system is also irrelevant. AT&T 3G, wifi at home and in coffee shops, hotels in the US and China (so far), direct hard link to our network at work, etc.