Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #21

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
So, if not a single computer or server, what else makes Marin unique? Is there any chance the number of his sizable posts upsets a TF cache when he logs on? It seems a bit far fetched, but when nothing else makes sense......?

For the record, I've never had an issue using my desktop, laptop, iPhone, or (currently) iPad.

Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Number of posts could be it, I suppose. I wonder if the administrators can delete all my posts up through, say, October 1, 2012? I certainly won't miss them and between the text and photos it should free up a hell of a lot of server space. So if the administrators are reading this and are willing to try it I have no objection if they delete everything of mine prior to this month.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'm no administrator Marin but do know that would wreak havoc on the archives.

The anchor sub forum would be left completely un-readable

I'll leave word for Janet to look at this thread if she hasn't already.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm no administrator Marin but do know that would wreak havoc on the archives.

Really? As it is now administrators can remove individual posts from threads or move posts between forum topic sections. And it doesn't seem to have any effect at all on the remainder of the thread. All the remaining posts just move up in the list accordingly. The archives seems to work the same way since all it does on a search is call up the posts that fit the search criteria in the existing threads. If most of the "Marin" posts are removed the search function simply won't find any of them anymore.

So I would think the forum code is such that one could enter a specific member's name and then do a batch delete, which I assume is how multiple posts are removed from active threads, and presto, they'd all be gone.

Frankly a housecleaning like this seems to me to be a good idea anyway. I suspect the archives are not used much as evidenced by the same questions being asked over and over again. The only times I've ever used the archives is to find a photo I remember posting some time ago and want to use again in a post but don't have in my iPad. I can't speak for others' posts, of course, but I see no value whatsoever in retaining all the posts I've made to this forum since its inception in 2000-whatever. So I say if there's a way to do it easily without jeopardizing the functioning of the forum software, do it. Then there will be that much more drive space for OTDE.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I wouldn't have thought Marin's post were really the cause. Text takes beggar all memory and the photos while larger still should be able to be coped with for quite a long time. It would be a pretty pathetically small server to not be able to cope with our traffic, especially over the relatively short time the new site has been up, one would think.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Wausau,WI
In the past few months, I have received this error message. Like Marin reports, it has been sporadic. It can not be from the number of posts an individual has submitted, as this is only my third post on this site.

For what it's worth, I have received the error message 3 times already this morning.

Theran
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
TF Site Team

Thanks for that info Theran, that answers that then, so Marin's post repository is not to blame - then what? I must say I have never had it, not here on W7 PC/IE9, or on MacBook/Firefox, so it's not a browser/computer type issue per se...?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

You've not had the problem, Peter, because you're in Australia which means internet signals coming to you are upside down. Obviously the code that is included in every internet transmission to the Southern Hemisphere that flips the internet signal rightside up for you is filtering out the "Connection has been reset" (Mac) or "No data" (PC) problem.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Maybe it is the fact of living to close to Microsoft that is causing the problems.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #30
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
I got it WA (Marin) is at 47.500N and WI (Theran) is at 44.500N and WI is less affected than WA so that must be it. The farther North the more the system wants to reset. Seams to make sense to me.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
As I recall (a true feat these days) Mark was having problems at one time? Maybe he can shed some light on what the problem was (still is?) and how it got fixed if it ever was.
Have to switch from Yahoo to Firefox when accessing Trawler as well as Cruisers forums.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You've not had the problem, Peter, because you're in Australia which means internet signals coming to you are upside down. Obviously the code that is included in every internet transmission to the Southern Hemisphere that flips the internet signal rightside up for you is filtering out the "Connection has been reset" (Mac) or "No data" (PC) problem.
pthwpthwpthwpthwpthwpthwpthpth...!!!!!

for the above read blown raspberry......ok, I had to be inventive...
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
JD wrote:

"The farther North the more the system wants to reset."

Until very recently most all of my posting has been done in Alaska and I don't see any other Alaskan's here w the problem.

Perhaps there is some electronic system in place at Boeing that limits some access to the internet but if that was so we'd not be hearing much from Marin. But guys that don't work at boeing are having the problem too. I've never seen it myself. Incidentally the # of posts dosn't represent the volume Marin puts forth but the # of words does. Marin is a man of many words and not a truer thing could been said. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed w his volume and I lean slightly in that direction myself.

Marin perhaps you should search further at Boeing and see if someone else there has the same problem.

Moderators please don't delete any archives as Marin suggests. And Marin I don't think you have the right to make that call. Those posts collectively belong to all of us and as long as they can be retained mechanically and electronically they should be kept intact.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Please delete all of Marin's posts knocking the Bruce anchor.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
JD wrote:

Perhaps there is some electronic system in place at Boeing that limits some access to the internet but if that was so we'd not be hearing much from Marin. ....

Marin perhaps you should search further at Boeing and see if someone else there has the same problem.

Moderators please don't delete any archives as Marin suggests. And Marin I don't think you have the right to make that call. Those posts collectively belong to all of us and as long as they can be retained mechanically and electronically they should be kept intact.
These days I use my iPad to access TF if I'm at Boeing. However our work computers all can access the open internet with no problems. As a test I asked a couple of co-workers to access TF on their computers at the time I was frequently getting the "no data" or "connection reset" messages, and their computers did the same thing. But only TF. Every other URL we access on the work computers works fine.

And I've had the problem in China on my iPad on hotel and airport wifi and on the PCs in the computer stations in the executive lounges that that guests can use. I've had the problem in Charleston on the hotel wifi. Same at Starbucks. I've accessed TF on my wife's Blackberry when I was getting the message a lot earlier this year and the same thing happened there.

So the problem has nothing to do with what kind of computer it is, what search engine is being used, or where on the planet I happen to be.

As to deleting past posts, I'm not advocating doing this for anyone else's posts. Just mine because there are so many of them dating clear back to the first days of the forum. I see no value whatsoever in retaining my posts on the forum any longer than a few weeks at best. I suspect that very few people ever go back and look at them, or frankly, anyone's posts.

I have no idea if the forum code will support this, but it would be great to have a selection in a person's UserCP that allows them to set a duration for how long their own posts are retained. "Forever" could certainly be one of the selections but if I could do this, I'd set mine to three weeks.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I have no idea if the forum code will support this, but it would be great to have a selection in a person's UserCP that allows them to set a duration for how long their own posts are retained. "Forever" could certainly be one of the selections but if I could do this, I'd set mine to three weeks.

No, No, don't do it! Now that I am retired, I finally have the time to read classic massive word compilations like Proust's IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME, Tolstoy's WAR & PEACE and Marin's SCATTERED POSTS (both the trawlerforum.com and grandbanksowners.com editions). Plus, this may help cure my insomnia.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Actually, the more I think about this idea the better I like it. While the edit function disappears after an hour or so I bet there's a way to go back through threads and delete posts even without the edit button. I'm going to ask a co-worker's son who's become one of Google's top coders and security programers how to do this.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
You know... If nothing else, it would save Andy about 50 Terabytes of disc space

I am totally against deleting your old posts. There is a lot of good info you have provided. TBH, I don't have an answer to your problem, but my higher intellect (I mean... I AM a moderator afterall ) says there's no connection between the two. The web page doesn't load your entire history everytime you visit. At most, it points to a disc sector/data stack where the addresses of your posts resides. And I would perhaps only think when you click on 'See more posts by Marin".

Tom-
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post

I am totally against deleting your old posts. There is a lot of good info you have provided.
In all seriousness, I totally agree.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

I don't. I would be willing to bet that almost nobody goes back into the archives to look for discussions on "what kind of boat should I get? or "what kind of anchor should I use?" Far easier to simpy ask the question again because everyone, including me, will chime in with their opinions--- again.

This is not unique to TF. The same thing occurs on the GB owners forum and probably on every other topical forum.

We have a program at Boeing called Lean+. We didn't invent it but we've morphed the basic concept around to fit what we do here. In essence, it's streamlining operations, working smarter and getting rid of waste and unneccessary "stuff." While I know Tom's 50 terrabyte comment was semi in jest it has a lot of truth to it. I know very little about the internet business, but I know that companies make money from hosting sites like this by charging for storage space and probably throughput as well. When you think of the thousands of posts in the archives, along with the thousands of photos, that's a lot of drive space being used as a parking lot the forum owners are paying for that very few people have any interest in visiting.

At Boeing many of our servers are scrubbed quarterly. It's the users' responsibility to pull anything they really need to keep off the server by such-and-such a date because on that date the whole server gets erased. Then the users can put their saved stuff back on until next time.

I would not be at all surprised if the cost of hosting the server would be reduced consideraby by either scubbing the archives periodically or at least removing everything older than a certain interval, say a year.

As it is now, this post, which nobody would ever have any reason to look for or read again, is going to sit in the archives until hell freezes over. It's an inefficient use of server space and it costs money for which there is no worthwhile return.