Old 11-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
KDA
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Chinese dock lines

I'm looking for new dock lines for my 38' trawler.
I think I need 5/8" braided lines
I wonder if there are any rules of thumb regarding the best length to buy
There are some cheap lines available on Amazon (about 1/2 price) but they are made in China
Ant reasons why they wouldn't work for me?
KDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The Chinese lines will work, just not last as long as New England Rope. NER is probably the best available, but it isn't cheap.

For a 38' boat, I would recommend (4) 25 to 30' and (2) 40' lines as a minimum. There will be times that you will need more and or longer lines for special circumstances but the 6 lines will get you by in most cases. I would start there and then add mote as you see the need.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Purchase 2-300 feet of New England Rope 5/8 3 strand nylon. Learn to do your own eye splicing. (Easy to do) Make up the 6 lines as stated above. They will give you good stretch...IE cushion, hold up well, and coil nicely.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
As to length, we carry six lines the length of the boat, for normal use, two bow, two stern and two spring. We. Als carry two lines 1.5 times the boat length “just in case”. We rarely use them, but when we need them, we need them.

IMHO, New England Rope is worth the money in the long run.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
5/8 is a good size. I too prefer three strand but dont splice loops just simply use large bowlines. Much easier go get off piles if someone else's line gets put over yours and can be quickly adapted to many different situations.

I always use new england rope for it tight lay and overstress indicator strands.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I buy 3 strand in bulk and make up line with 3'-4' eyes.
Below is a picture of how I identify the length of the line.
Makes it easy to grab the right one out of a locker.

The top line is 30' the bottom line is 45'. A black ring for each 10 feet a red band for 5 more feet. I round off to 5'
Attached Thumbnails
Lines length A.jpg  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I buy 3 strand in bulk and make up line with 3'-4' eyes.
Below is a picture of how I identify the length of the line.
Makes it easy to grab the right one out of a locker.

The top line is 30' the bottom line is 45'. A black ring for each 10 feet a red band for 5 more feet. I round off to 5'
I think you meant the top is 45' and the bottom is 30'.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I like my spring lines to be one size smaller than my dock lines, so they have a little more action and I can tension them up easier. Also, if you have to tie to timbers instead of cleats the soft braided lines have a tendency to get splinters in the weave. My 2 cents...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
FWIW, I have two sets of docklines. I have one set that stays on the home dock. They are sized for my boat and my dock. I use three strand for those. I then have braided line that I use for our traveling lines. I have a lot of those but generally use two that are about my boat length for breast lines and then one or two that are 1.5 x the boat length for springs as needed.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
5/8 is a good size. I too prefer three strand but don`t splice loops just simply use large bowlines....
I`ve done that too, but Insequent and another TFer recently posted that using a bowline reduces line strength by 15%. May not matter but worth knowing. Fortunately my partner has become a good splicer.
When I buy rope/line, I usually buy a whole roll. You get a better price,it`s handy to have, and like torches on a boat, you can`t have too much line available.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
If I recall from my Boy Scout days, a Bowline reduces the line strength by 15% and a splice by 10%, so its not really that different in every day use. During hurricane prep that might matter, but I doubt you are anywhere near your lines working limit on a regular basis.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
Purchase 2-300 feet of New England Rope 5/8 3 strand nylon. Learn to do your own eye splicing. (Easy to do) Make up the 6 lines as stated above. They will give you good stretch...IE cushion, hold up well, and coil nicely.
This^
For my homeport docklines I add 3/4" reinforced water hose in the 3 strand loop for chafe protection. Still looking for something better.
I have 8 - 5/8" double braid lines for cruising. 4 @ 25', 2 @ 40', and 2 @ 50' just in case.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
While down at the outstation docks on a stormy day, I noted a 45 Bayliner tied with new, black 5/8" braided lines that was in trouble. All of the lines were properly tied, in the right places, but several had an effective diameter of less than 1/2 where they went around the bull rail. None had actually parted. The owner had what appeared to be a 100' towline, made of 3/4" Samson Golden Braid. I was able to get it out of his cockpit and use it to add bow and stern lines, taking the strain from the black lines.

I had recently replaced my own docking lines with the nicer looking, new, all black lines, in 3/4", with my own slices to make up 4 longish lines. I am unhappy to have done so, now that I have experience with that particular kind of line being so unsuited to its intended use.
Next time I buy rope for new dock lines, it will be Samson Golden Braid, or New England Rope.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Keith, I know that black stuff. Looks smart, nice and soft to handle, but wears as fast as it is soft. Good for short term use only, IMO. Just last weekend we added a spare line to the boat next door, for similar reasons.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Hamilton Marine, Buy the 600 foot spool of Yale 8 brait. 8, 50 footers and 2, 100 footers. About 69 cents in bulk. If the upfront $ bothers you then keep 6 fifty’s and peddle the rest for about 1$ a foot. That $1 a foot is a bargain. You will love the 5/8 8 plat (brait].

I have no eye splices but use bowlines for the pier cleat, thereby the eye is the right size for each attachment. About 8000lb breaking strength 1800lb Working. Soft, easy on the hands and NO memory.

Those are my traveling lines. I use cheaper 3 stran at home slip.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The Chinese lines will work, just not last as long as New England Rope. NER is probably the best available, but it isn't cheap.
Do you have experience with using the Chinese lines - have you found them to be less abrasion-resistant - do they last half as long?

For docklines I don't see the advantage of trying to save money, but for keeping rolls of shoreline onboard (say multiple spools of 100m+) then the less expensive brands would be an advantage, especially if using the more expensive poly-prop floating lines.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 AM   #17
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Considering all the items formerly made in the US, now made in China and still carrying US brand names, I'd be surprised if much line is really American made.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:10 AM   #18
Guru

Yale Corgade. Maine and North Carolina
Yale Cordage | About Us

New England Rope Fall River, Ma
https://www.neropes.com/en/
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Do you have experience with using the Chinese lines - have you found them to be less abrasion-resistant - do they last half as long?

For docklines I don't see the advantage of trying to save money, but for keeping rolls of shoreline onboard (say multiple spools of 100m+) then the less expensive brands would be an advantage, especially if using the more expensive poly-prop floating lines.
Not sure where it came from but I got a deal on some 1/2 inch golden braided lines. Very pretty. But stiff, didn’t coil worth a damn, impossible to splice, not sure about the longevity as I threw it out. New England Rope or Yale Cordage. Great American made products.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #20

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
I had a buddy that owns a rope store last year buy a pallet of spiced loop ropes.
He did it because they were cheap and he wanted to offer it to his customers that always seemed to complain about prices
Looked great but they were not spliced just a couple of stiches of twine just to hold the loop behind the outside mesh ------pulled open with a slight tug.
He had more complains about boats drifting away at dock after that
You get what you pay for from China its just their way
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote