Old 12-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: petersburg, ny
Vessel Name: Lil' Toot
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin
Cell phone coverage East Coast

Can anyone tell me if or how well cell phones work traveling the east coast. I'm planning a trip from Albany NY south to Jax. How is coverage outside and in the canals? Thanks.
poczatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Verizon over ATT and most others for covetage.

Even then there are gaps in Verizon without a cell booster. But very small unless you stop in an anchorage that is a dead zone.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks psneeld. I am most curios if the is any coverage on the outside especially outside NJ on down to Norfolk.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Last June, off shore, from Deltaville to Atlantic City, Verizon and AT&T worked about the same but the Android had better connectivity than the iPad.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Guru

todays cell phones are only good to about 5 miles offshore without amplification.

some places more and occasionally less....but 5 on aerage.

even in places like the middle of Delaware Bay cel is spotty.

Much of the Chesapeake if you arent dead in the middle is OK with Verizon, but at some points, figure more than 10 NM from a tower and you are not able to connect.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Did the Great Loop this year which included the AICW from Stuart to Norfolk, Chesapeake Bay, Delaware Bay, New Jersey coast within 3 miles of shore to New York city, and the Hudson river from NYC to past Albany. Coverage was excellent with Version on a Samsung smart phone which was also used as a hot spot. You will find a few spots without data service on the upper Hudson river, a couple of spots off NJ coast, a little of DE bay, a little in Chesapeake Bay, some spots in NC, and some on the marshes of SC and GA. All that said, I guess you have data coverage 90+% of the time and voice 95+%. I don't remember being without data more than 2 hours.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I appreciate the I put. Last time we traveled canals, the Erie and Oswego River, was before cell phones. I guess that dates me. It's been a long time sense we have cruised, but we're going to give it go again.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I'll speak as someone who has been in the business a long time. The detailed interactive coverage maps the major carriers have on their websites are now very accurate. Most segment between voice/SMS text coverage and various levels of data speed coverage. If you are going to be cell dependent, then I would second the idea of a repeater-amplifier connected to a dedicated tall marine antenna.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

City: Carrollton, Va
Sprint and Verizon work well to about 12 miles offshore. As stated, you will have some dead spots, not not many and not for long. I welcome the breaks!
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #10

City: Washington
Verizon is the highest priced but has the best coverage.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Verizon works for me to about five miles out. But works like crap in my HOUSE!! (i'm kinda in a bowl next to a creek).
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I'll speak as someone who has been in the business a long time. The detailed interactive coverage maps the major carriers have on their websites are now very accurate. Most segment between voice/SMS text coverage and various levels of data speed coverage. If you are going to be cell dependent, then I would second the idea of a repeater-amplifier connected to a dedicated tall marine antenna.
I'll join you as someone in the business only 5 years. The maps are extremely accurate and you will occasionally find coverage where the map doesn't indicate it, but very seldom find a lack of coverage where coverage is shown. Amplifier always good.

We tested out of curiosity and Verizon's coverage is the best. Very seldom you won't find service on the East Coast. Sprint has several significant areas without coverage, New Jersey being the largest. AT&T slightly better than Sprint overall but one huge area on the NC coast without service. T-Mobile actually is second in coverage along the coast to Verizon. Very small areas without coverage.

Now, inland along the loop route and near those areas, it's not even close. All but Verizon have some large areas of the country not covered. I say this even though we're primarily a Sprint and T-Mobile reseller.

And here's a great all in one map from T-Mobile.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/lte-comparison-map
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Verizon works for me to about five miles out. But works like crap in my HOUSE!! (i'm kinda in a bowl next to a creek).
We've had to have repeater type antennas for the home before. Had one from Sprint for years. Now we're lucky to live in an area everyone covers completely.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
Guru

I can with VERY good faith blow that T mobile map out of the water.

Without a repeater, maybe the coverage is good on land, but coming down the ICW, T mobile for my crews recent IPhone has been horrible at best this fall.

We are doing a survey and comparison for my son who is an IT expert and phone guy for a major corporation, so I took his request seriously.

I wiuld NOT base my plan on these service maps as a boater because they are NOT accurate in my opinion...maybe on land but not on the ICW.

Witout a doubt Verizon from NJ to the Keys wins hands down, ATT second and TMobile a distant 3rd.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Without a repeater, maybe the coverage is good on land, but coming down the ICW, T mobile for my crews recent IPhone has been horrible at best this fall.

We are doing a survey and comparison for my son who is an IT expert and phone guy for a major corporation, so I took his request seriously.

I wiuld NOT base my plan on these service maps as a boater because they are NOT accurate in my opinion...maybe on land but not on the ICW.

Witout a doubt Verizon from NJ to the Keys wins hands down, ATT second and TMobile a distant 3rd.
TMobile needs amplification in many areas that Verizon doesn't. Now, you mention iPhone. I admit to being prejudiced against iProducts. However, there is a significant difference in brands of phones in terms of reception. Someone else in this thread mentioned that often Samsung's reception is better than iPhones.

You're right that the maps don't give you an idea of whether you'll have reception one mile or ten miles from shore.

I learned one thing too from the hurricanes. Satellite phones, even if you just have an emergency plan. They were extremely valuable when everyone's cell service was out. Also, saw their value in Puerto Rico. Perhaps not for most people but for any of you who very much need to stay in reach.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #16

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Just begain to lose cell service appx 12 miles out in sea due East of Asbury Park, NJ. That's my experience when we went shark fishing few months ago.

Id upload a screenshot of where but the picture file to big and cant crop a 450kb pic to a 190kb pic. On here or cant figure it out yet.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Most of the AT&T stores have an amplifier in the store... Talk about false advertising!
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We cruise full time. New England to So FL. Verizon has been consistently good for us. We both work and need internet. Except for the Alligator Pungo canal, The middle of Pamlico sound, and the Chesapeake between Tangier and Reedville, we can stay connected without a booster. Our cruising friends all still agree that Verizon is the best along the East Coast , but others are catching up.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Tell me where exactly. I live in eastern NC and travel up and down the length of the ICW. Pick a point where the carrier map shows coverage and we'll go test it. Sounds like you are not using the interactive detail maps which take it down to the tower level.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #20
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Verizon has the best coverage but I got tired of their "data usage" issues on MIFI. I switched to Sprint for phone and use the phone as a hotspot for my personal computer and of course as phone. Side by side realtime comparison with Companies boat phone (verizon). Up and down the eastcoast ,gulf and recently in Puerto Rico after Hurricane. Eastern shore Outside is quiet(dead ) for both services 18 miles offshore. Not much appreciable difference in most of the inland/harbors near shore areas. Puerto Rico was hands down terrible Verizon coverage on temp cell towers. My company reached me on personal cell phone(sprint) and asked me if I quit because they couldn't get a hold of the tug for days on the boat phone.