Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Awkward site

How about making the whole process simple and user friendly. I simply tried to reply to the request for our vessel photos, and when my picture was chosen, tried to upload. Nothing happened. Then, using Keiths instructions attempted to attach a picture to my profile so that all posts would show my boat. Again, no joy. Either the instructions were incomplete, the site disfunctional, or possibly Mac unfriendly. And while we're at it, what point is there in selecting an avatar. Is this simply an attempt to further complicate what should be a simple process. Forget all the glitz and glamour. How about a communication method that works. I'm back to Passagemaker. Thanks!

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: Awkward site

Quote:
Carey wrote:

How about making the whole process simple and user friendly. I simply tried to reply to the request for our vessel photos, and when my picture was chosen, tried to upload. Nothing happened. Then, using Keiths instructions attempted to attach a picture to my profile so that all posts would show my boat. Again, no joy. Either the instructions were incomplete, the site disfunctional, or possibly Mac unfriendly. And while we're at it, what point is there in selecting an avatar. Is this simply an attempt to further complicate what should be a simple process. Forget all the glitz and glamour. How about a communication method that works. I'm back to Passagemaker. Thanks!
Hey Carey, thanks for stopping by and thanks for your constructive criticism.* We do have one person in particular that has a Mac and he is posting on here.* I am not sure if there are issues but he is posting successfully.* And just for the record, we apologize if your computer does not work on this site.* Our main goal in all of this was to make this as simple as possible and I do believe we have succeeded in that regard and that sentiment has seemed to be echoed by many.**I am a member on many other "enthusiast" type forums and I will have to say that this is, by far, the easiest one I have ever used. *I am not the computer expert here but I will consult with someone a little more knowledgeable.* Many times, it the version of Java you are using.* Anyway, Doug may post up as he is more computer savvy.

With all that said, We have really put*alot of*time and effort and MONEY into providing this site to the public at absolutely no cost to the members.* We have had minor glitches(mostly educating people on how to use the format) and have answered those questions in an extremely timely manner.* It is too bad you are so quick to pass judgement and not allow us to even try to address your problem.** We do* WELCOME anyone and everyone who has an interest in trawlers and will do what we can to address any issues you may have.** Sorry we couldn't make it work for ya, Carey....you really didn't give us a chance.* And for heaven's sakes, this thing has been live for all of about 48 hours.* There will be glitches and they will be worked out...if you give us a chance.* We will always be evolving trying to make this a better site.*

We have recieved a lot of positive feedback from the majority of folks and we do thank you for it.* It makes us feel like the resources we are spending are worth it.* Obviously, please speak up if you are having issues and we will do whatever we can to get it ironed out.* Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

-- Edited by Baker at 23:28, 2007-10-07

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Guru

Is stumbling through a confusing, counter intuitive system for a couple hours and receiving no results not giving you a chance. I am not computer illiterate, and have no trouble posting photos elsewhere in the computer world. Until you create a system that is totally intuitive, you have nothing to offer me. I don't need to take hours of courses to learn each and every non-friendly system. I will spend my time on the sites that work for everyone, and work well.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Carey,

I have seen the exact issue that you are describing.* And it was also on a Mac.* It seems that when you "click" on the icon that nothing happens.* For instance, and bear with me because I know zilch about Macs, that there is not even the sound of a click.* If you have the sound turned up.

This happens in the PC world as well.* The problem is usually related to the Java version that the progammer used when he/she created the app.* I do not have access to that particular Mac at this time but I will get back to you when we get it fixed.

If you want to try to fix it yourself send me a Private Message and I will tell what I do to resolve the issue in the PC world.

Thanks for your kind remarks,

Doug D.

SOLUTION?* elmore, our only other non-conformist (Mac user) out there* posted this...

"it seems to be safari software, as my mac has no trouble loading pics using firefox"

Please keep us informed of any issues out there.* We really do want to make this site "perfect".* I know it's hard to believe that a Mac might not be perfect, but hey, it's still a freakin' computer!
Doug D.

-- Edited by dougd1 at 08:24, 2007-10-09
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Awkward site

I have a mac and am having trouble loading a photo to my profile and signature. Help!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

I have a mac and am having trouble loading a photo to my profile and signature. Help!
Seahorse, are you using Safari????* If so, changeover to firefox and that should solve it.* Let us know how it goes.

John
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Guru

Having been the one to originate this thread, I have to say this site is great, and the people who started it are equally great. Being a Mac user, I am used to systems that are flawless, and assumed my original problem was the site itself. My bad! I should have known, as it's not the first time Safari was not up to the task. Please take back every slightly offensive thing I may have said in the beginning. And thanks to all of you who helped me get it right.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
TF Site Team

No problem, Carey.* And thanks for the kind words!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #9

City: Sacramento, CA
Vessel Name: Brave Duck
Vessel Model: 1988 Lord Nelson Victory Tug

I too fine the site a bit awkward (with a PC).* Maybe there's just a few too many different things going on and directions to go in.* I'll keep trying, but it does seem burdensome.* Maybe a site map would be helpful.* Also had trouble loading boat pic.* I got it done, but I'm not sure how.

Phil
Pdeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #10

Awkward site

I really like the site. My only criticism is that the banner photo is way too large. I would like to jump right in with messages showing without having to scroll to just get started.

lowekey42 is offline   Reply With Quote