Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney
PMs

Do the Mods, owners or anyone else on here know when one member sends a PM to another?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Hawgwash, here is how I would put it, don't post your CC#s or other non public stuff on this open forum with a lightly "covered/private" PM system.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
(Former Mod talking) PM's are absolutely private. It's what the "P" stands for. :-) Neither mods nor admins can see them unless you report them by pushing the ! red triangle in the lower left. Then the content is sent to the mod team for discussion.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Hawgwash, here is how I would put it, don't post your CC#s or other non public stuff on this open forum with a lightly "covered/private" PM system.
Sorry, I don't understand.
Here;
If I send you a PM will anyone know?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
(Former Mod talking) PM's are absolutely private. It's what the "P" stands for. :-) Neither mods nor admins can see them unless you report them by pushing the ! red triangle in the lower left. Then the content is sent to the mod team for discussion.
Sorry to you too Tom, I must be speaking Canadian...
The "P" for Private I understand.
I'm asking if the to/from is tracked somehow.
Like I said to sunchaser, if I send you, Tom, a PM will anyone know it was sent; never mind it's content.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
You can be notified by email (that is an option in your account settings) plus, the next time you come to the forum, you will be notified via a pop-up window that you have a PM. Finally, in the upper right corner of the page, under your sign-in name, there is a 'Notifications' line. That tells you how many unread PM's you have. :-)
Old 11-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
No we will not. Like Tom said, if you report the PM by clicking the "!" red icon, then it will in fact send the PM to all moderators for discussion. Other than that, NO, we cannot see or know if you send a PM
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
No we will not. Like Tom said, if you report the PM by clicking the "!" red icon, then it will in fact send the PM to all moderators for discussion. Other than that, NO, we cannot see or know if you send a PM
Thank you, that answers my question and adds a valuable bit of info to the "reporting" process.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Calif Delta
Vessel Model: 34' Tollycraft Sedan
I do believe PM's can be read in the database. There are also [or there was] add-on's so the admin can read PM's.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Do the Mods, owners or anyone else on here know when one member sends a PM to another?
Well now, you just grabbed the edge of the table with both hands and flung it in the air didn't ya?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBad View Post
I do believe PM's can be read in the database. There are also [or there was] add-on's so the admin can read PM's.
I specifically asked that question when I became a mod and was told they (the admins) cannot read them. I know the mods see nothing of PM traffic....either content or counts.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I think the subtlety of what is being said now is as follows:

No, the mods of this site cannot read the pm's and do not know when they're sent.

Yes, there are add on's that would allow them to do things they don't currently have the ability to do.

There is also an underlying database. Someone with access to it could access pm's that had been sent. The mods of the site don't have that ability or access. The person to ever do that would likely be an IT person with server and database access and doing it to find out why there was an issue with the site.

So, for all practical purposes no one is seeing who PM's who or what they say. However, keep in mind it is all recorded words. Given the right situation and need it is possible to access. The most common example would be if you were considered a terrorist and there was reason to believe you were communicating terrorist ideas by pm.

Personally, I feel free to communicate in any way by PM. However, I would never put information there that I normally protect, such as credit card numbers or other personal information. But then I'd have no reason to do so. Still if I was about to buy something from Hopcar, as an example, I wouldn't send him my credit card information by pm.

At a certain point, there is nothing posted on the internet that is 100% protected and/or private.

Still there is nothing here that should keep any of us from normal pm communication.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think the subtlety of what is being said now is as follows:

No, the mods of this site cannot read the pm's and do not know when they're sent.

Yes, there are add on's that would allow them to do things they don't currently have the ability to do.

There is also an underlying database. Someone with access to it could access pm's that had been sent. The mods of the site don't have that ability or access. The person to ever do that would likely be an IT person with server and database access and doing it to find out why there was an issue with the site.

So, for all practical purposes no one is seeing who PM's who or what they say. However, keep in mind it is all recorded words. Given the right situation and need it is possible to access. The most common example would be if you were considered a terrorist and there was reason to believe you were communicating terrorist ideas by pm.

Personally, I feel free to communicate in any way by PM. However, I would never put information there that I normally protect, such as credit card numbers or other personal information. But then I'd have no reason to do so. Still if I was about to buy something from Hopcar, as an example, I wouldn't send him my credit card information by pm.

At a certain point, there is nothing posted on the internet that is 100% protected and/or private.

Still there is nothing here that should keep any of us from normal pm communication.
Again, a great summary that all members would do well to read and heed. The most personal information that you should ever share via the forum pm system is an email address or contact phone number.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
@Hawgwash There is a particular thing about the messaging system that is funny. When you are in your home page, and click on messages, and click on someones screen name it will display a message board that says: (paraphrasing) visible message. This seems to be an issue that makes messages sent in that way public. Sort of like a 'bulletin board' But if you click on someone name in a forum post, and click 'send private message' you don't get that same message format.

I have not tried to read anyone else s messages, but the warning is pretty obvious.

I will send you one now. Maybe one of the moderators could try to read it, to confirm or dispute the concept.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Don't understand why one posts a public notice they've sent a private message when the recipient will receive a notice they've received the message.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Don't understand why one posts a public notice they've sent a private message when the recipient will receive a notice they've received the message.
Mark--- Your logic is correct but the notice function is user-controlled, or it used to be. So if you didn't know to turn the notice function on you would not receive the notices when you signed onto the forum.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I specifically asked that question when I became a mod and was told they (the admins) cannot read them. I know the mods see nothing of PM traffic....either content or counts.
Well, private should be private.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Me thinks there may be some misunderstanding of forum functions creeping in. There is a huge difference between a PM (private message) and a "profile comment" which can only be done from a "profile page". Profile comments are readable by anyone that visits the profile page where they've been left until such time that the user deletes it.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #19
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've done that at times when, for example, someone has offered something to give away or sell. I'll post that I've sent a PM so that others on the forum can expect that the item(s) are already spoken for.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: AR
Sheesh, guys! Some of the fora on which I participate--that use the same format is this one--offer the option of sending a PM or an email. And Fwiw, I HATE private messages ...I much prefer receiving private communication via email. Reason: It's FOUR steps to read and reply to a PM--1. see the email telling me I have one...2. log into the forum...3, click on the link to my PM inbox...4. read the message. Otoh, all I have to do to respond to an email from a forum member--whose email address is hidden, btw--is hit "reply" to his/her message. That does reveal my email address to the sender, but not to anyone else. Any reply to my reply reveals the senders email address, however the conversation is now taking place via email, totally private.

Cruisers.com, which uses the same software this forum does, offers the choice of PM or email, so I don't THINK it should be that hard to add that option here.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote