Should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised...

I just hate the thought of using gas and especially sleeping over the tank. Must be because I saw more than one boat explode at the fuel dock back in the 1960s when I was a kid.

...At the number of people on this forum who say they have seen not only one boat go up in flames, but more than one.

I've been around the water fore a long time and have thousands of miles under my keels. I have never seen a boat go up in flames. I also don't know anyone who has seen a boat go up in flames. I have read about it -- a couple of times -- in my life. If it were all that dangerous, it would be outlawed and insurance would be through through the roof expensive.

If you don't like that boat I have a 24' Allegra with a small BMW diesel engine
that might suit you. The engine is only a 6 hp single cylinder but I never needed anything bigger. It has 6' headroom in the cabin. It's in Northern Wisconsin off of Green Bay. islandkman@gmail.com for info.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Allegra is a sailboat, not a power boat.
It draws 42" and displaces 6500 lbs.

A solution to your problem

A few years back I was on iboats for awhile. There was a guy who bought a 28 Luhrs on the CHEAP! The engines were toast. He went to a junkyard and got 2 Chevy diesel(non electronic) engines out of a couple of pickups. He installed them easily because the outdrives bolted right up. The end of the posts were of him tooling around Chesapeake Bay havng a ball.

A few years back I was on iboats for awhile. There was a guy who bought a 28 Luhrs on the CHEAP! The engines were toast. He went to a junkyard and got 2 Chevy diesel(non electronic) engines out of a couple of pickups. He installed them easily because the outdrives bolted right up. The end of the posts were of him tooling around Chesapeake Bay havng a ball.
Probably 6.2 Detroits which there are marinizing kits for.

Never heard of a GrayMarine engine? A venerable gasoline-powered marine engine manufactured in Detroit. Here in the Great Lakes area there still might be hundreds of them on the water. If they have had the good luck to be reasonably cared for and not too many hours, they are dependable, simple-to-operate and smooth-running engines. I have been storing my boat in the old GrayMarine factory that was converted to car/boat storage back in the 80's. It is called Your Garage. The original ceiling rails for pulling the engines around from one station to another are still in the building. 711 Helen St. Detroit MI 48207 -- a great storage place and a great history.

We have an Albin 25 that we use to cruise the Swedish Baltic archipelago in the summers. It is a great little boat for two to cruise a week or two at a time. However, I would never go out on an Albin 25 with a gasoline engine. As you probably saw engine access is not trivial; you have the cabin bulkhead to open, you probably have to remove the bench seat and only after that can you open the big engine compartment lid.

In case of a problem in the engine compartment you can't get to it very fast but more importantly, the access discourages maintenance. Infrequent maintenance or inspection and an inboard gasoline engine doesn't seem like a good idea.

It is still a great little trawler. Ours is a bit slow with its 19 hp Volvo Penta diesel repower but we're not trawling because we are in a hurry :)

-Sven

I know the O.P. is quite old but I thought I would add my .02 worth.

GrayMarine engines. They are perhaps the oldest, most simple, and plentiful marine engines around. I don't think they are made any longer. These are engines which were in almost all small inboards in the 30's and 40's.

They were well built, heavy, etc. No matter when your boat was repowered it was probably with an engine that might be as many as 80 years old. So I am glad you said repowered not "had a new engine installed" I don't think there are any new GreyMarine engines. They were made in 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. All flatheads until the 60's when Grey converted some GM V8s.

Would I have one in a boat I owned? Sure.
Does one belong in your Albin? No

pete

Yes Pete I have a lot of confidence myself in Perkins diesels which are still available and parts are also available if needed. The Perkins 4-108 is a great engine for 30 - 40 foot boats. There is actually a forum just for Perkins 4-107's and 4-108's. Mine has taken me up and down Lake Michigan and down the rivers as far as Kentucky Lake. Engine no problems. Fuel, some problems. The 4-108 in it's basic form is a pretty simple overhead valve engine of about 50 hp that only requires electric power for the starter.

https://www.foleyengines.com

For Perkins they should have your parts and tech support.
Any engine that has been made since the 30s has to be pretty good and reliable.

Last edited:
Gray Marine is what became Lugger/Northern Lights. They have a Gray Marine in their lobby.

I would normally resist getting in the middle of this type of "discussion" but feel there is a side worth considering...
The root of a lot of the disagreement IMO is the use of generalizations... especially when only backed up by anecdotal evidence. Bottom line, again IMO, is the generalizations are generally wrong for many situations and you have to consider the real data or situation behind any statement or claims.
My take is that the article / Pascoe makes some points that are worthy of consideration for your individual situation. I do find a couple of his claims that seem out of line and have agree with some of the negative comments but that doesn't mean you have to discount the whole article.
No argument that diesels have some benefits in some uses / situations... but that doesn't mean they are better in all situations or applications.
Remember... it look back to refresh that the OP is talking about a 25 ft vessel! IMO that is hardly the application that screams "diesel is always a better choice" and many of the articles points are worth considering based on usage / application.
A 25 ft commercial "tug" running 250 days / year will be very different that a 25 ft recreational boater putting 75 - 100 hrs / season.

I just read the article noted above. I can't believe it actually was printed by anyone. I'm sorry I couldn't make it through to the end but I got as far as the diesel which needed a rebuild at 800 hours. Obviously something more going on than normal use. The rest of the article is just as bogus!

That right there is one of the major flaws of the internet. Anyone can pose as an expert on any subject. Even total idiots.

We have argued/discussed gas vs diesel numerous times. Each has it's place. I simply prefer diesel because I have a small trawler. I loved gassers when I was a water skier, still love the contented gurgling of a gasser in an old Chris.

BTW, I have never witnessed a boat fire. I have seen several boats sitting on the hard, salvaged after a fire. Just by looking at the hulks from a distance I guessed some were diesel, some were gas. All fires which I know of were at marinas. Most seemed to be put out fairly quickly, if not, I suspect he entire marina would have gone up in smoke.

Don't believe everything you read.

pete

Biggest B.S. I've ever read. And some one would believe this "expert".

Pascoe is, in my opinion, only an expert in one thing. That is self promotion of himself. I find his reviews to be extremely limited in value, highly influenced by personal prejudices, often from a time long ago or based on one or two unrepresentative experiences. The only place he excels is he's more widely published and more often mentioned on the internet than are others. I cringe when I see him referred to here as an expert or as someone to read. His writings are not those of an independent surveyor but are highly opinionated, self promoting pieces and most of them have long ago become outdated. He often applies what he saw on one boat decades ago to a brand across all boat models and all time periods. His books were published 15 to 20 years ago based on far older writings and surveys.

There are at least 200 members here whose opinions and writings (well postings on this forum) I would value far above Pascoe, and they are current in their posting. I just looked at one section of one book of Pascoe and laughed. In his Buyer's Guide to Outboard Boats, Chapter 5 is Power Options. Published in 2002 he discusses Stern Drives, Inboards and Outboards and compares them and offers advice. In 2002 (and in previous years when most of his actual work was done), Stern Drives were big and now they're dying. Outboards didn't even include any of today's large models or all the brands. Pods weren't even relevant yet. He has a full discussion on two cycle vs four cycle which is the ranting of someone living in the past and definitely not relevant for today's buyer as there is no choice.

Now, even just relating to the times of Pascoe, he blasts methods based on their earliest days before any refinements as coring is a prime example. He blasts brands based on one or two boats he once saw which were likely poorly maintained for decades. Specifically, his crusade against Sea Ray shows ignorance and narrowmindedness and a personal prejudice totally inappropriate for an objective surveyor. Sea Ray never professed to be Hatteras, but was not only the most successful brand, the most loved brand of the masses on the lakes to whom they appealed and were marketed. Meanwhile he praises Bertram above all others. Well, I've known of more Bertram delaminations at sea than any other brand but then that's after his time. I have friends with older Bertrams who love them and they were fine boats, but then there is the litany of lawsuits that developed later.

It's not just boat surveys where Pascoe claims to be the expert he isn't. What about "Your legal obligations during a storm." He cites one or two cases. He acts as if he's a lawyer. He misses one very critical issue and that is that your obligation with your insurer is based on your legal contract with them, the policy, and policies differ widely within an insurer and definitely between insurers and even more so between jurisdictions. Again he cites one case as universally applying in all circumstances.

I don't mind those who enjoy looking at Pascoe reviews or reading him. I do have a problem when he's referred to as an expert. However, my major problem is when he's referred to as "The expert", as the absolute authority. This referenced article is just one of many examples.

Over the years we have owned two Albin 25s. The first, in the mid '80's, was a 1976 Deluxe model and came with a 36HP 3 cylinder Volvo, I forget the model name. It was a great boat for a family with small children.
Our second Albin (in 2008) was a 1972 Motorsailor that had been repowered with a 27HP 3 cylinder Yanmar.
Bother were incredibly well designed and built; as was mentioned earlier they have a passive air circulation system that keeps the boat cooler than one would expect.
The 36HP would get us 7-8 knots with a theoretical 11 knots, while the 27HP would give 6.5-7 knots. I believe there had been a slight hull change between the two hull years but am not sure.
Most that I see these days have had a hardtop added that covers the entire cockpit. Some are better built than others. Our latter one had probably the best built of the lot.
My personal preference would be to have a diesel, but that's all it is, personal preference.

The engine was a Volvo Penta MD 17 C.

Back
Top Bottom