Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

City: Lutz
Perkins 6-354 in 1978 ALBIN 36 Trawler

Seems most engines in this year and model are Lehman Ford 120HP. Yet this one has a Perkins 6-354 . Has 3700 hours.. Is it a replacement engine? Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Guru

Not necessarily, many trawlers of this era had/have Perks in them.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
You can use serial # on block to determine year of engine.

https://maxiforce.com/perkins-engine...fication-guide
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Seems most engines in this year and model are Lehman Ford 120HP. Yet this one has a Perkins 6-354 . Has 3700 hours.. Is it a replacement engine? Thanks.
I don't see them in Albins but they are both great engines(IMO equally great).

I have the 6-354 with a turbo in my mainship. Sips fuel and has more than enough power.

Always good to know the history of your boat but just saying you should meet the answer with a shrug.

Stay on top of the heat exchanger.. It's not more likely to fail than the ford but it costs much much more. Also the 6-354 was used in Massey-Ferg tractors which is a great source for parts(except for the strictly marine stuff).
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Ashland City, TN
Vessel Name: Tinker Belle
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
I had a Perkins 6.354 NA engine in my Albin 36. It was a replacement for the original Lehman that came in the boat. Great engine. I have twin Perkins 6.354t in my current boat. Again, great engines, although if it needs exhaust manifold replacement it may be difficult (not impossible) to source.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #6

City: Slidell la
Vessel Name: Bonnie C’S
Vessel Model: DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
I have Twin Perkins 6 354 in my 40ft DeFever I like you see most of these models came with lemans but after looking into it at build the customer had the option of the two guess we got lucky lol I have an extra one if you ever need one ready to go 1991 model
Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

City: Barrington
I have a 1978 Albin 43' Trawler that originally came with a Lehman, but for reasons unknown to me, it was replaced with a 6.354 in 1990 by one of the previous owners. The Perkins has about 5,000 hours on it and I'm praying for 5,000 more.
cjacobsinamecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 AM   #8

City: Slidell la
Vessel Name: Bonnie C’S
Vessel Model: DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacobsinamecom View Post
I have a 1978 Albin 43' Trawler that originally came with a Lehman, but for reasons unknown to me, it was replaced with a 6.354 in 1990 by one of the previous owners. The Perkins has about 5,000 hours on it and I'm praying for 5,000 more.

Do you know how the got it in
Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas and Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: Alibi II
Vessel Model: 1979 Schucker 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I had a Perkins 6.354 NA engine in my Albin 36. It was a replacement for the original Lehman that came in the boat. Great engine. I have twin Perkins 6.354t in my current boat. Again, great engines, although if it needs exhaust manifold replacement it may be difficult (not impossible) to source.
I purchased 2 exhaust manifolds from Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama at a fraction of what Perkins wanted for them.

http://www.mesamarine.com

Mark the owner is readily reachable and a delight to deal with.
gunho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
In my old boat, I replaced the 6.454 MGT (185hp Turbo version, originally with the "breadbox" coolers) manifolds with new ones from www.mrcool.us. I don't remember who made them, it might have been Mesa. But, they were readily available. That was, I think, in 2016 and they still look current online. They were quick ship items.

Just before I bought my new boat with 6.354(M) NA engines, the present owner replaced the header, manifold, and heat exchanger with a combined manicooler (Bowman brand). From what I can tell from the paperwork, this was at about the same time and was also a quick-ship item. They still look to be readily available online.

TAD Diesel in Virginia and S&W Diesel in Wilmington, CA are also able to supply parts for these engines pretty readily. Never had a problem getting anything I needed.

I noticed that my boat's prior owner also was able to get good used parts for some pretty odd items -- like he got "new" valve covers. I can only guess the other ones were probably bent up around the screw holes leading to some leaking. Those engines are a little bad about that because there is so much distance between the screws on the cover that they can leak if the gasket isn't perfect, and over-tightening to fix it adds another problem.

My boat's PO seems to have used a ton of gasket sealant instead of the actual gasket, so I'm assuming he had trouble with the new covers and gaskets, too. It'll have to clean it up and do it again if I ever need to do a tune up and check valve leaf. But, c'est la vie. It is nice and dry there now!
STB is offline   Reply With Quote