Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Albin 40 vs 43

I've been looking at some 40' and 43' 1980s vintage Albins on YachtWorld. I was expecting the galley area to get squeezed for the 40 footer, but the galleys look about the same. Was the lion's share of the "squeezing" done in the main cabin area?

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Guru

I have a 40 and never looked at a 43 so I don't know.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
40ft here too...just from the layout sketches looks like every space is just a tad bigger...I didn't notice anymore lockers or new spaces to make up the 3 feet.

If I had found a 43 with a single...I may have tried to make up the diff in cash if I had to...there are some features that I like over the 40 and the extra room may have allowed me to more easily fit a washer/dryer...but that I'm not sure of.

But if I had a 43, I think a dozen little things with storage of stuff on the 40 may have not surfaced...but maybe so as I never had a comparative look.

The 3 feet would have meant higher operating expenses, haul, dock, etc...but not enough to make me think smaller.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

City: Central Ohio
If I may, I'd like to throw in a question that is along the lines what Seattle asked.

In the fresh water (Lake) boating that I have experience with, it is often said that nobody was ever sorry they bought the bigger motor.

So I'm curious...

Has anyone ever been sorry they bought the bigger boat?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Escher View Post
If I may, I'd like to throw in a question that is along the lines what Seattle asked.

In the fresh water (Lake) boating that I have experience with, it is often said that nobody was ever sorry they bought the bigger motor.

So I'm curious...

Has anyone ever been sorry they bought the bigger boat?
I would say about 90+% of all boatowners buy too big...

I always say I'd be a bad broker because I'd always be telling people to buy smaller and put the excess cash to great gear and operations.

Most never use a boat as much as they thought...

The only people that buy too small is well off retirees and liveaboards or the 1% really serious cruisers...some of them may say I could do with less...but I'll bet that small percentage of boaters usually thinks they could always use a few more feet.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
The Albin's have really sweet lines and given their heritage look to be a very sea kindly boat.
Live aboards around here refer to the '3 foot syndrome' 'I wish we had 3 foot more' !
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Mention was made above of a preference for a single screw configuration in an Albin 43. I owned a twin Albin 43 for many years and loved it. To my knowledge there were maybe ten or so built with a single engine. A good friend of mine has one of those and is very well pleased with it.
stonejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head, SC
Vessel Name: Irie Daze
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Albin 43 Sundeck

I have never been on a 40 Albin however our 43 sundeck has one of the largest full beam staterooms in a boat of this class. We looked at many trawlers and the salon and stateroom sold us on this boat. It is not perfect but checked a lot of the boxes. The stateroom is full beam at 14'6" and has ample storage with a good size master head. That coupled with the exact size sundeck above the master room stateroom provides exceptional living area for those of us in the deep south. Sorry I had to throw that in. LOL

Cathy and David is offline   Reply With Quote