Old 09-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Despite rumors to the contrary I'm not actually a Neanderthal. We have air conditioning, washer and dryer, water heater, stove, micro wave, queen size bed and I'm installing a Sig Mar diesel cabin heater for when we're in the frozen north. I'm assuming those things and my undying love may possibly suffice.
Wifey B: I applaud you as many who come from other types of boats or ships are hesitant to go after the conveniences of home. Those of us who haven't "roughed it" sure don't want to start doing so in retirement.

Many who cruise the coast also think that by going south and back north they'll somehow avoid all the cold and all the very hot, and just not going to happen. We had a couple of days on our loop in Oswego, upon our arrival 39 degrees, 15 knot winds, 8-10' seas on Lake Ontario. Warmed up to mid 50's the next day but lows still around 40-45. When we left, was in the 50's and virtually no wind and smooth, calm lake. We pulled out coats and outfits we hadn't worn since Alaska.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:19 AM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Ok, you were on boats of different types in different conditions and experienced some tough living conditions. This ain't that.
And why do I say that so firmly? I walked five miles to school through the snow, up hill both ways no longer matters nor does I was in 35 degrees with no heat and only a thin jacket for seven months....
The Four Yorkshiremen have something to say about the privations of living destitute in with neither food warmth or pretty much anything else, to sustain life...

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The Four Yorkshiremen have something to say about the privations of living destitute in with neither food warmth or pretty much anything else, to sustain life...
Wifey B: I'd never heard of those old dudes. Cool.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'd never heard of those old dudes. Cool.
Did you recognize John Cleese, 2nd from left? They are part of the venerable Monty Python comedy team which more,ahem,senior,TFers might remember. Think "Life of Brian". Maybe also Tim Brooke-Taylor and Eric Idle,and that insane English Jewish comedian with the bulging eyes, whose name escapes me for now. Old stuff, but very funny.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #45
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Marty Feldman. In Young Frankenstein he had the best lines. My personal fav is when he replied to Dr. Frankenstein who asked him to help with me with bags, Igor said 'OK, you take the blond and I'll take the one with the turban!" Hilarious!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Marty Feldman. In Young Frankenstein he had the best lines. My personal fav is when he replied to Dr. Frankenstein who asked him to help with me with bags, Igor said 'OK, you take the blond and I'll take the one with the turban!" Hilarious!
Thanks, knew someone would remember. He died some years ago.
I think he worked with Dudley Moore in the zoo sketch, where a monkey gets put in charge as more competent than the zoo manager. I think in the same sketch there was a zoo exhibit with a sign reading"Topical Fish", which unsurprisingly turned out to be "Tropical Fish", explained away by the Manager that during windy weather, "his ars blew off".
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Did you recognize John Cleese, 2nd from left? They are part of the venerable Monty Python comedy team which more,ahem,senior,TFers might remember. Think "Life of Brian". Maybe also Tim Brooke-Taylor and Eric Idle,and that insane English Jewish comedian with the bulging eyes, whose name escapes me for now. Old stuff, but very funny.
Wifey B: I've listened to some Monty Python and like that kind of music.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: READY
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I'm sure somewhere in my near future I'm going to encounter whatever the "duck valve" is, I had no idea what vast horizons my toilet would open up for me.
It keeps the ducks on the outside of the vessel.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #49

City: Lisbon
If you have been commercial fishing, and around other things mechanical you should have a grasp of how things work. I myself bought our new boat this year. I now have a full working knowledge of vacu flush systems. Asked around about components. Paid the local guy to rebuild my pump on the condition I did all the work, he just walked me through it. After we were done I was almost embarrassed at how easy it was. I have since updated the system. I now have spares for every component, as well as a vacuum gauge to track down leaks. After toilet school 101 from my local guy I can check that off my list. We have 2-3 years before we head from the Great Lakes to the great beyond!! I will know every system on the boat before we go. As troubles arise you will learn to fix stuff. Good luck, and enjoy!
Boatingbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #50

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Murungal
Vessel Model: Albin 36 Aft Cabin
Mate! Mate!! Mate!!!
Great choice. I have an Albin 36 Aft Cabin built in 1978.
Check out the history of these vessels.
Mine is fitted with twin Volvos and is currently in year 2
Of renovations. Plan to have all completed by end 2020.
Moored in Abbotsford Bay in Sydney Australia.

Have a great time. Photos please.

Regards
Marangal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #51

City: Owings Mills, MD
The best change I made on my 36 was the cabin windows, changed out the original wood frames for custom aluminum sliders (no more wet wood) Other than that I loved my 79, best wishes.
LynBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #52

City: Plymouth Massachusetts
This is our second season with our 1980 Alvin 36. A lot of bright work, teak decks, and brass to polish. We love it.

mjneejr is offline   Reply With Quote