Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

City: Baltimore
Albin 36' headroom?

Hello Trawler fans! I am coming to the dark side.. have always been a fan of sailboats, but now that considering living aboard, you can't compare the living space between the two!

On to my question, can anyone tell me about the headroom in the master stateroom for a 36' Albin? Also the length of the actual bed might be helpful. Might have to move up to the 40' just to get the longer legroom..

MnC
mac-n-cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-n-cheese View Post
Hello Trawler fans! I am coming to the dark side.. have always been a fan of sailboats, but now that considering living aboard, you can't compare the living space between the two!

On to my question, can anyone tell me about the headroom in the master stateroom for a 36' Albin? Also the length of the actual bed might be helpful. Might have to move up to the 40' just to get the longer legroom..

MnC
Move up...looked at a lot of 36's and thought I could squeek by...but if someone else moves on board...the 40 is almost a must. Ths is my 3rd liveaboard so I know MY limits...a 36 would feel too much like camping for me to liveaboard.

I'm kicking myself I didn't think harder about a 43!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Guru

I know the 40 has a queen size bed. I have been aboard a couple of 36s and I agree that I would also feel cramped. For example the salon is a one way street on a 36, but I have a dance floor on my 40 (I also have nothing built in in the salon). Plus the aft head is a real full time head, no pull out sinks like the 36.
Plus the decks are deeper and you don't have to jump over the midship lines.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I'm 6'

I did an electrical upgrade on a 36. I don't recall any headroom issues. The bed on this one was in the port corner and looked like a double. Heads are small. Pretty livable compared to a sail boat. Nice boat. This gal is living aboard full time. 30 amp shore power so very limited when counting on electrical heat. Electrical system on this boat particular boat was a disaster with switched neutrals and reversed shore power connections. Ac wire colors were red- hot leg. black-neutral, green-ground. All ten gauge wire all 120 volt terminal strips unprotected. All outlets and switches were installed in cut out openings without boxes. The neutral black was connected to the shore power hot leg black. I'm sure this was a unique situation with this boat, but worth checking. With this exception, which was correctable, this is a very nice boat with good access to mechanical components. I got involved repairing survey requirements during the sale of the boat. This boat had a stern thruster with a single Lehman. I spent a little time giving operating instruction to the new owner and came away very impressed. Of course size makes a huge difference in livability. I think a couple would be the limit with this boat.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I just measured one yesterday. outer wall 73" bow 57", innerside 74", aft 55".
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Headroom

Quote:

MnC
Probably a little over 6 feet of headroom on my 36 aft cabin. The bed length is standard for a double mattress but the port side configuration is not the best, you head (or feet) are under the overhang. Whoever has the inside (against the outside wall) has it worse, the whole length of the mattress is under the gauwale overhang. Takes some getting used to Pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

City: Strathaven
Vessel Name: Sarah Blaze
Vessel Model: Blackwater 44
Smile

Quote:

MnC
Hi mac-n-cheese, I have a Blackwater 44 which I believe is the same as the Albin 43, and I can confidently say it has plenty of headroom and a aft cabin double bed with plenty of room the only problem is your head is below the aft deck and if you rise to quick you it can be painfull but you soon adapt and it is a great livaboard. I can also tell you it is a great sea boat, we were last year cought out in a force 9 and she handled very well as long as we were heading into it. Good luck
Castrol is offline   Reply With Quote