Albin 25...pros-cons.....”watch out for’s”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Found a reasonably priced 25 and was thinking it would make a good trailer boat at home. There are 3 canal systems, multiple lakes and rivers as well as the North channel within easy trailer distance from home base.
Any concerns? Things to look for?
They seem to be a really simply, efficient design that would be reliable and easy to work on.
Any info....good or bad is appreciated.
Any comments from actual owners on handling and seaworthiness appreciated too.

I have not had that boat, but have boated those waters.

Pro - good weather protection, potential good bug protection, available with bulkhead for full enclosure, economical, inboard (assuming this, most were) is friendly to leave in the water vs. I/O, no outdrive maintenance expense (again, most were inboard), known boat should have good resale value, roomy classic design, little or no exterior wood.

Con - inboard engine more of a hassle in the Great Lakes shoulder seasons due to winterizing requirement, boat is over standard trailerable beam which may require a permit, heavy trailered load requires a "monster" truck to do safely and legally, cooking and lounging area below deck where you can't see anything, most have no "equal" companion chair for the Admiral while operating.

If I was leaving a boat at the marina and not trailering, one of these would merit close consideration for our mission.

I agree with your comments, and I think a single engine (with no thruster) is nothing to be afraid of. It's not that much different than your new boat.

Best Wishes

really nice little boats. Simple systems,robust construction and very economical to run.

cons: Tiny inside,slow as molasses (6.5kts), will roll the cream right out of your coffee.
I had one and enjoyed it. You can always sell it, if reasonably priced. They have a huge following. Pretty hard to beat as an inland cruiser if the interior space works for you.

Heh... I’m a sailor... 6.5 knots in a straight line is smokin!! ?
That’s all I cruise Emma B at out west here...
Didn’t know they rolled a lot. Beam seas are no no ?
At 8’6” beam...they are legal to trailer which for me is a huge bonus!!
Some ole boats suffer window leaks, deck leaks, hull to deck joint leaks etc.
How are they that way?
No balsa to rot...they used foam core which is a bonus.
Seems to me they were a simple boat done right...

I had one for 6 years. Wonderful boat. Has a vicious snap roll in lumpy water. I think the old hull is faster but the later ones w the wider stern are a bit more stable. If you,re big or tall the A25 is small. You'll smack your head while going below. Average or smaller people will like the boat better.

The boat is light but very seaworthy. Dosn't pound .. takes head seas gracefully. Rudder is plenty big enough for good control on stern seas. Avoid beam seas. Engine access is great and noise level low. Check the boat out for high cruise hull/engine vibration. Mine had a harmonic vib I didn't like but others I had on the boat said "what vib".

Most A25 owners cruise at 6 knots at 1/2 gph but the early hulls are capable of 8.5 knots cruise w a 33hp engine. We had a 34hp Yanmar. Advise getting a boat that has been repowered. Many or most of the old Volvo's are sea water cooled. Buy only if cheap.

They are a wonderful boat. Never heard of a blister on the A25. Buy if you like it.

Looks like a very versatile boat. Can put an actual 'sailing' mast on it and it comes in one or two cabin configuration.
Per the leaks topside, 5200 and some good bilge pumps ought to take care of that problem.

Great to hear views from you former owners!
Do you know what year they switched the stern hull design?

We owned one for several years and loved the boat. Ours was a 1970 with a Universal 5444 engine that cruised at 7.2 knots all day. I wrote a blog about it in 2010. https://princesslouisa2010.blogspot.com You might get some info of how we used it and appreciated it. Feel free to PM with any questions. I just spoke with someone about buying one again and repowering it with a new Beta engine. Love these boats.

Thanks for the link Mr Riley and you are correct....everything is there! Including the link to Kolives blog ?
Appreciate it lads.
I’m good now...
Overwhelmed with reading on the Albin site about the lil 25’s.
Folks sure did/do like them.

Please forgive me and disregard my comments - I was speaking about a later-model Albin. :hide:

Please forgive me and disregard my comments - I was speaking about a later-model Albin. :hide:

Irene, I wouldn't worry about it. Every boat has positives and negatives.
Personally, there are a few negatives about the Albin that would negate me from buying one.
Not every boat made is a universal boat. We just keep looking for the perfect boat. I am content with my boat.

Back
Top Bottom