Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

City: Louisville
Albin 25??

Here is an Albin 25 in Yachtworld that is unlike any I've seen.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

No aft cabin, separate front windows. Is this a custom, Fisherman model or really a 27? What do you think?
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Here is an Albin 25 in Yachtworld that is unlike any I've seen.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

No aft cabin, separate front windows. Is this a custom, Fisherman model or really a 27? What do you think?
It definitely started as a 25 but has been heavily renovated. Whether it started as a fisherman model or not is hard to say, as the aft cabin could have been removed during the extensive renovation. Interesting and very different for an Albin 25.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

City: Greenwood, SC
I agree with Conrad. A heavily modified 25. I'm not sure how to tell a fisherman from an aft cabin, but this could be an aft cabin, considering the extent of the restructuring of the wheelhouse. Maybe done by a very tall guy with eight children.
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It's a "Fisherman" I'm very sure as duplicating that cockpit coaming would be really challenging. Here is another fisherman I saw in Myers Chuck although she is home ported in Ketchikan. Wish I took a pic of the stern but I didn't.

Re the yachtworld A25 someone went to a lot of trouble to get what they wanted. Then probably wasn't satisfied.

However the most unique thing about her is not the obvious but her power .. or lack of it. A 2cyl 20hp Yanmar makes her the lowest powered Albin I've ever heard of or seen. Something interesting about the A25 is that the original boat came w a 2cyl 22hp engine made by Albin. The boat was designed and made to or for the engine. Usually it's the other way around. My Albin was an old one and originally had the A22 engine. The old style hull was close enough to a full disp hull to call her that and she did nicely w the A22 engine. Later model Albin 25s had a little bit different stern below the WL. And they got a 36hp engine.

plossl the "Fisherman" just dosn't have the aft cabin. They are very rare. I've seen at least 50 A25s and this is the 2nd one I've known about.
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 205 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Eric I recall seeing one down this way the guy cut most of the aft cabin out with a sawzall and used for a commercial salmon troller. Twas an interesting boat set up strictly business.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
Looks quite similar to an Albin 25 that a friend here on Pine Island modified. He cut the aft cabin off and did the same thing. He did sell it a few years ago to someone here in Fla so that may be the same boat although I believe his had a Volvo engine?
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Nimble1,
A lot of Volvos in A25s were seawater cooled. A likely scenario is that it is the same one as many (perhaps most) of those Volvos have choked on salt or got eaten away. The argument against that is that the YW A25 looks like it has the original cockpit coaming.

Anyway it looks like the guy did a good job w it unlike some boats that get modified that much. A lot of people will think they need more than 20hp though. If I saw the detail work I may be able to be even more positive about the boat. But it's hard to make a boat that is just about the best boat in the world even better.

My 1st wife's brother bought an A25 w an old Volvo that had been hacked up and converted into a fish boat. He put paravane stabilizers on it. The boat was a junker when he bought it but he's the handiest handyman I've ever known and a hard worker too and the boat turned out really good. He restored a Model A and one of those old diesel Land Rovers too. So a modified or remanufactured boat can turn out very good given the right owner. Even better than new at times.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote