88 43' Albin Sundeck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathy and David

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irie Daze
Vessel Make
Albin 43 Sundeck
We made and offer and it was accepted and barring any survey or sea trial issues it appears we will begin our live aboard life on this vessel. We are looking forward to this new journey in our lives.
We are looking forward to the adventure of bringing this vessel from Fort Lauderdale to it's new home port of Savannah, Ga.
We also look forward to being new active members of the Trawler Forum as we have been readers to this point in time and have utilized this resource to gain valuable information. Hopefully we can post what we learn and become engaged and productive members.

We are looking forward to the adventure of bringing this vessel from Fort Lauderdale to it's new home port of Savannah, Ga.

Sharing that trip with us would be nice, since each one is a little bit different. :)

Greetings,
Woohoo! Welcome aboard. PARTY TIME!!!!

swag.gif

That should be a fun trip! Do you plan to run outside or take the ICW?

If the weather is good and after making sure all systems are good will take her outside for part of the trip

If the weather is good and after making sure all systems are good will take her outside for part of the trip
Yeah, I would just ride the stream the whole way;p given their is good conditions.

Not sure running 60-75 miles offshore to pick up well less than a knot is really worth it....even further to get near mid-stream.

While a well found Albin might be slightly seaworthy...without stabilization...I'd prefer a nice sedate cruise up the ICW and enjoy the scenery.

Greetings,
As Mr. N4712 suggests IF the weather is good, ride the stream north from Ft. Lauderdale at LEAST to Lake Worth. GS can be as close as 3 mi. off Ft. L and run 2-3 knots. PLUS you miss 22 bridges in that leg.

Greetings, As Mr. N4712 suggests IF the weather is good, ride the stream north from Ft. Lauderdale at LEAST to Lake Worth. GS can be as close as 3 mi. off Ft. L and run 2-3 knots. PLUS you miss 22 bridges in that leg.
Exacly, I was talking 3-4 miles offshore, at 75 you'd be in Bimini or little Bahama bank. I for one find the ICW the most boring stretch of water in the world. Just a suggestion, different folks, different strokes.

After Ft Pierce, FL the stream starts heading offshore and the coast starts scalloping in...yes from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Pierce it makes sense, right along the coast get the push and miss the bridges but after Ft Pierce you have to start veering more than 20 miles off to keep getting much of a push. By the time you are up to Jax to Savannah the edge of the stream is usually at least 60 off....

Where's all the scardy cats that never recommend running offshore with a new boat for this thread???? :D

Congratulations and Welcome! I'd be interested in hearing more details about your boat! Friendship is a 1988 model also, hull no 246. I'd like to hear details like engines, hull no, etc.
I've owned mine for almost 13 years and done extensive work / upgrades. In the last year we've removed the teak decks and replaced with non-skid, and as I speak I've removed the teak hand rails and have a Stainless crew installing new stainless rails. I've been in every nook and cranny on this boat, so I can answer questions when you get possession and begin your life on the Albin. I think you've made a great choice!

After You is hull number 243 powered by twin Cummins diesels rated at 210 HP. Still has the teak decks and hand rails and would be interested in how big and costly to replace with non skid. We have a water maker but the survey indicates a pump is not functioning and I am curious how costly this will be to replace?

I got pretty lucky with my deck redo. Hired a very good local company during their slow winter time and got a deal. Removed the teak, prepped and added two layers of glass, then the nonskid. All for under $5K. Most report double that. I had very little deck repair so that helped.
The watermaker repair depends on which pump. Most have a feed pump and a high pressure pump. Feed pump is cheap. Pressure pump is the most expensive part of the system. I wouldn't depend on the surveyor's report. If you want to know for sure, get a tech familiar with your brand of water maker to look at it.

Where's all the scardy cats that never recommend running offshore with a new boat for this thread???? :D

LOL, not a scardy cat but with a new to me boat I would make the inside run cause you never know.

Congrats on the purchase!!

And join the Albin owner's group

Survet and Sea Trial

Here is to a successful survey and sea trial tomorrow. We love the boat and all it has to offer. We can definitely see us enjoying our lives on this vessel.

Close on the Boat

We will close on the boat this week and then make the 300+ mile trip back from Ft. Lauderdale to Hilton Head, SC to Skull Creek Marina our new home port.
We are getting the heat exchangers cleaned this week on the Cummins with new raw water pump impellers. New battery for the bow thruster and working an issue with the auto pilot.
It will be a good shake down cruise and expect to find some more things that will need to be addressed on our return.
We will post pictures during our trip back.

We Made It

We left Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday April 1 and made it to Skull Creek Marina on Sunday April 6. We ran offshore from Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter Florida and came on the pass at Jupiter to the ICW. We had stops at Jensen Beach, Coco Beach, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville Beach, and Killkenny Marina in Georgia before arriving home. The most exciting was making the run in through Jupiter pass and Hells Gate in Georgia.
Our boat performed well with the exception of losing our waste water tank pump and having an issue with our inverter. Will have to do some work and troubleshooting this weekend. The twin Cummins performed great and we calculated around just over 300+ gallons of fuel burn.

Just saw your post about the Jupiter Inlet. That is one of the trickier inlets, and it is recommended to enter only with local knowledge. Coming in at the wrong time can be really tough, especially on an outgoing tide.

Glad you made it safe and sound!

Thanks

I will admit is was more than a little hairy. It was an out going tide and the seas were 3-5 coming in so it was stacking up in the inlet. We did good though but would probably not do it again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom