Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
robbie's Avatar
 
City: newfoundland
Country: canada
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 140
37' palm beach advise

I have been watching this Albin Yacht world for a while, does anyone have any info on the "Palm beach" model, mainly I would like to know what would be her cruise speed with the semi-displacement hull design, as you will see she is fitted with twin Volvo's, do you think she's over powered?.

The price is good for an 1985 trawler I think, but there again I'm not an expert by any means and this would be my first large boat, so any comments would really be appreciated.

Trawlers and Sailboats in Florida

From the photos I haven't seen any evidence of water damage, in fact she looks to be very well cared for, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far, so know it's time to ask the experts!!

Thanks

Robbie.
__________________
Advertisement

robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,373
I've visited boats that look this good in the ad, only to find it's a total wreck in real life. On the other hand, if it really is as good as it looks the price seems good. I'd say it's worth going to look in person.
__________________

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 818
Might be someone on the forum that could give it a quick look over to save you some expense, worth asking. It is a good price. I have seen this boat on the web for some time now. Same engine I have but you won't get many people saying anything good about Volvos on here, largely due to the cost and availability of parts.
__________________
Allan & Ann
Airswift
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
robbie's Avatar
 
City: newfoundland
Country: canada
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 140
Thanks Tom/Allan,
I didn't know that Volvo's had a bad reputation, I learn something knew every day!.

Planning a trip to Nova Scotia on Monday, if this weather lets up that is, I have a 34' cruiser to check out in Dartmouth harbor, it's not as roomy as I was hoping for, also has a very narrow beam, 7'6", if it doesn't suit I will plan a trip to Rhode Island, I haven't been to the US since...O boy, 1992, turbine engine course at Textron, so It might be fun.
Robbie
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Thanks Tom/Allan,
I didn't know that Volvo's had a bad reputation, I learn something knew every day!.

Planning a trip to Nova Scotia on Monday, if this weather lets up that is, I have a 34' cruiser to check out in Dartmouth harbor, it's not as roomy as I was hoping for, also has a very narrow beam, 7'6", if it doesn't suit I will plan a trip to Rhode Island, I haven't been to the US since...O boy, 1992, turbine engine course at Textron, so It might be fun.
Robbie
Ouch, a 37 with only a 7"6" beam, my 33 is 11'6", that's like a torpedo. Would go through the water easily and efficiently but not likely much room in it. Have fun looking, that's the best part.
__________________
Allan & Ann
Airswift
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
robbie's Avatar
 
City: newfoundland
Country: canada
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Ouch, a 37 with only a 7"6" beam, my 33 is 11'6", that's like a torpedo. Would go through the water easily and efficiently but not likely much room in it. Have fun looking, that's the best part.

Yep she even has a stainless protector on the bow to deal with ice.

I plan to cruise alone, if you don't count the dog!, so I don't need much room, there's a small galley a head and bunk.
It's the first boat I've decided to visit, I may well find her totally unsuitable.
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
It's the first boat I've decided to visit, I may well find her totally unsuitable.
Every boat I planned to visit was unsuitable. However going to see them (and a wrong turn leaving after the final disappointment) was how I found our current boat. Persistence and having fun with the search wins the day.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,738
Albin Owners Group • Index page

You should join this Albin Owner's group site and ask about this model. I'm sure there are a few owners that would love to tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly about this specific model.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Newbie
 
ThreeBelles's Avatar
 
City: Charleston
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Three Belles
Vessel Model: 37' Albin Palm Beach
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
I bought my 37' Albin Palm Beach sun deck edition in February and love her! I now live on her and am so happy with my choice. As for speed. I have twin Cummins 210 (total of 420 hp) and cruise at about 8knts at 2100-2200 (depending on wind and current of course). I am not sure how my engines would compare to the boat that you are looking at. And yes, the one in your link looks like a good deal but pictures can be very deceiving. Do join the albin owners forum.
Good luck on your boat search!
ThreeBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBelles View Post
I bought my 37' Albin Palm Beach sun deck edition in February and love her! I now live on her and am so happy with my choice. As for speed. I have twin Cummins 210 (total of 420 hp) and cruise at about 8knts at 2100-2200 (depending on wind and current of course). I am not sure how my engines would compare to the boat that you are looking at. And yes, the one in your link looks like a good deal but pictures can be very deceiving. Do join the albin owners forum.
Good luck on your boat search!
Welcome ThreeBelles!!
__________________

__________________
Allan & Ann
Airswift
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012