Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If the boat deck was strong enough...I would store it there in the marina.

I would have to see the boat, dingy and crane setup...but I would make some collapsible or removable chocks that would fit on the transom or in that area that I could sit the boat for underway. Plus in a rocky anchorage, you could still get it off the transom area where the upper deck would be a circus.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #22

City: Chestertown, md
Vessel Name: Socially Sea Cured
Vessel Model: 1989 44' Heritage East Sundeck
Sorry for not making it clear - We currently have a Caribe 10X at 165 lbs with a Tohatsu/Nissan 18 HP 2 stroke (about 70 lbs) up on the roof. We love the combination but the Caribe needs more tube seal and the motor runs on it's own schedule. There is no weight problem with moment arm and such in bad weather but I am not sure about the roof. In 1989 it probably would have been no problem but I don't know if it lost integrity over time. I was working the Baltimore boat show for Upper Bay Boating when I saw a BluewaterBaby (Bluewater Baby, Bluewater Lady, yacht tenders, dinghy, dingy are quality small boats) and that got me thinking about a hard sided one. We looked at whalers there but the weight was too high, until I read here that the older ones are lighter. The BluewaterBaby is 320 lbs and a new Honda 20 HP is about 100 lbs so our weight would go from 250 lbs to 450 lbs. We were thinking of a new 20 hp motor this year and a Boston Whaler when we find one but I have been told that it can be very expensive to convert from tiller, which we would need now, to remote which we would need/want with the whaler. If anyone has thoughts on that part please share as I am a big DIY guy who maintains all of our boats.

jtbedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
JT, we have the Bluewater baby which we bought to replace our 11 ft Boston Whaler Sport, which we could not pick up with our existing crane. It is not a Boston Whaler but is a great little dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dink.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	48562  
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We love our RIB's. However, we recognize their life expectancy isn't what a Whaler would be. Now, what I wonder is why aren't their more aluminum boats being used as dinghies. Or polyethelene boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Our dink is an aluminum hull RIB. It's much lighter than the equivalent FRP hull, doesn't get scratched or gouged when running ashore, and performs the same with a smaller motor which further reduces overall weight. So far we are really happy with it. I had wanted to use our '65 Boston Whaler Nauset as a dink, but it just wouldn't fit.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RIBs are so popular if you were a maufacturer why build a real boat if most think they need a duckie.

OP there are dinghys that are a lot lighter and cheaper than the Whalers. You'll need to shop to fine one though. Have you tried Craig's List?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #27

Update is that I bought the 1978 Whaler Sport and LOVE IT! We ran it around a few times before taking it apart to refinish and it is so much better than the RIB in stability and general comfort. When all is said and done it weighs 210 pounds and the new Honda 20 hp is 126. Since it is replacing an 11' Caribe with a 20 Nissan, which sat on the sundeck roof for 20 years, there is an additional 100 +/- pounds but not significant enough to bother me as I am a fair weather cruiser and don't mind waiting out weather. One note is that I contacted St Croix about their davits and told them I had ordered the 400 model, rated at 350 lbs for my 340 lbs dinghy and they told me that those davits couldn't handle 340 lbs. I told them I would go for two of their 200 lbs rated cranes instead and they said that wouldn't do either. Lesson learned - don't go by the manufacturers rating as they tell me they won't stand behind it if something goes wrong.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #28

We used an aluminum 12' for years as a dinghy and it was great, light, easy too handle. The admiral won't cross the gulf stream without a whaler as a dink so whaler it is and on the the Abacos!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbedell View Post
Update is that I bought the 1978 Whaler Sport and LOVE IT! We ran it around a few times before taking it apart to refinish and it is so much better than the RIB in stability and general comfort. When all is said and done it weighs 210 pounds and the new Honda 20 hp is 126. Since it is replacing an 11' Caribe with a 20 Nissan, which sat on the sundeck roof for 20 years, there is an additional 100 +/- pounds but not significant enough to bother me as I am a fair weather cruiser and don't mind waiting out weather. One note is that I contacted St Croix about their davits and told them I had ordered the 400 model, rated at 350 lbs for my 340 lbs dinghy and they told me that those davits couldn't handle 340 lbs. I told them I would go for two of their 200 lbs rated cranes instead and they said that wouldn't do either. Lesson learned - don't go by the manufacturers rating as they tell me they won't stand behind it if something goes wrong.
Rule of thumb is never go beyond 80% rated capacity. Also, toss in fuel and other items and your 340 lbs grows too. Add in 6 gallons of gas and you just added more than 10% extra to the weight.

I wouldn't put your dinghy on anything under 500 lbs capacity.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have a dinghy/motor/gas/battery weight of about 300lbs. I have a crane rated at 600lbs. I wouldn't want a crane rated at anything less. I am conservative by nature however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have a dinghy/motor/gas/battery weight of about 300lbs. I have a crane rated at 600lbs. I wouldn't want a crane rated at anything less. I am conservative by nature however.
That's a good match. We don't have 100% extra like you, but where we do use a crane, we have nearly 50% extra margin.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #32
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughMc View Post
Yeah, 460 is the figure I found on the Boston Whaler site. I'll take it down and weigh it on the trailer and try to calculate the total weight. Not much historical info on their site, I might give them a call.

Given that the Californian weighs in at 32,000 I guess another 600 isn't going to capsize it.

I'm thinking I might add a couple of additional supports for the boat deck, I could put two SS poles in forward, near the ladder to the fly bridge, without taking up much usable space on the aft deck. Maybe replacing the crane motor and cable is also a good idea.
I'm working on a more definitive answer. 32,000 was the advertised weight of these, I'll guess with standard engines. What power does your boat have?
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #33
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
What follows is probably a lot more than anyone wants to know on the subject.

I made a computer model of a hull that's an approximation of the Californian 43. It's 43'8" overall, beam is 13'3", and displacement is 32,000 lbs in the lightship condition.

Name:	Cal43hull.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	51965

Every time we add or take a item off the boat, it's total displacement changes, draft, trim, and freeboard change, and stability changes. My effort here is show the magnitude of the change instability caused by adding fuel down low or a dinghy on the roof. This is not a precise calculation because I don't have precise data on any particular Californian 43. To complete these calculations I've made a number of assumptions based on experience. As such this post is just my opinion of what happens and anyone is free to disagree.

For arguments sake.....

Lightship is the bare boat, 32,000 lbs
Full Load is the bare boat plus 2856 lbs of fuel and 1166 lbs of fresh water
The dinghy is 700 lbs.

After the hull model I created a simple table of weights and moments, to quantify the effect of adding fuel and the dinghy. All weights are in Long Tons of 2240 lbs. Note that filling the fuel (400 usg) and water (140 usg) lowers the VCG (vertical center of gravity) by approximately 2.5". Adding the dinghy up on the roof when the tanks are empty moves VCG up 4.75". Adding the dinghy when the tanks are full moves the VCG up just under 2".

Name:	Cal43weights.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	51966

The Righting Arm Curve at Lightship shows a max righting arm of almost .7' and zero stability at 61 degrees heel.

Name:	Cal43lightship2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	51967

With Full Fuel and water RA is about .85' max and zero stability is at 66 degrees heel.

Name:	Cal43fullfuel.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	51968

Lightship plus the dinghy shows a .6' RA and zero stability at 58 degrees heel.

Name:	Cal43lightplusdinghy.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	51969

And Full Load plus the dinghy shows RA at .75' and zero stability at 64 degrees heel.

Name:	Cal43fullloadplusdinghy.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	51970

Once again these numbers are just an indication of what will happen under these circumstances. Real life will be different. Adding a heavy dinghy on the roof will reduce stability on this type of boat. The reduction in stability shown here is not (IMO) enough to cause concern under most typical cruising conditions. In marginal conditions I would find it cause for concern and would take action to improve the vessels stability.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #34
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
When I was about 10 (1968) on the Thousand Islands, the marina/whaler dealer's son of the same age ran around in a 13' whaler with a 25 on it. He had free run of the St. Lawrence as long as his Golden retriever went with him. Made my 12' aluminum star-craft with 9 hp look sad .
I've wanted a little Whaler like that ever since.
If you can make it work get one. You'll probably use it as much as the big boat.It will take two hours to make a 5 minute grocery run.
At the same time the little USCG station there ran a big whaler with two 200s. Made me want join up!
CWO KPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Tad: Those graphs are exceptionally helpful as reference points. I think all of us can gain some insight through our own rough comparisons, but it emphasizes the effects of weight added above the CG. Thanks.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #36

Thanks to all

CWO - You are right I do use it as much as the big boat. We live close to the big boat so many evenings we would take the Whaler out for sunset instead of the big one. We also started to run to the beach with it or just run out to visit friends at anchor. Still haven't got the crane thing down but I have a roof crane rated at 750 LBS so that isn't a problem. I'm thinking of swim platform davits/Cranes for the whaler and putting my sailing Walker Bay on the roof. This winter project is to fabricate the supports and braces for two St Croix cranes to sit about a foot higher than the swim platform to keep the dinghy up high enough to not be a problem. For most times I will tow it, as I have done all summer, between anchorages and just lift it when going to marinas.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #37

City: WPB
That is a great back rest, any idea where it came from?
MayorGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #38
Guru

Wifey B: Tad. Grrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaat analysis. I'd have to really study to understand all the technical stuff and I'm not going to do that so trust it to you pros. However, what I get out of it is the reminder that everything we do changes the boat.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorGSD View Post
That is a great back rest, any idea where it came from?

This is not my friend's boat...just one I saw on the internet. I saved the photos as an example of what I'd like to do to the boat if I ever get my hands on it. My friend recently gifted me his 15hp Merc outboard from the Whaler so I'm a little closer to getting the boat....it's just coming my way one piece at a time. He's also given me right of first refusal so I know eventually, he'll sell me the whole damn thing.

When I'm done with it, it'll hopefully look like this.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #40
Guru

Love the coming to you in pieces.

When I was young, working in my father's office, we picked up a new client. He brought over a drawer from his file cabinet with all his records. When I asked for something else, he brought another drawer. Then the third and fourth. I then called him and he said I had all the drawers. I said, "I know. Now, would you please bring the cabinet so I have somewhere to put them." He did.

So, now if he'd please bring the boat so you'd have somewhere to put the motor.