Old 12-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Peterpan 111
Vessel Model: Gulfstar
Trouble with 9.9 tohatsu

Hi all. I have a 9.9B-2 355A 90's outboard on my Caribe dinghy. In the morning prime it , Pull and all is well. However,sometime s it will start to run for less than a minute,then stop. I will prime it again,put the starter grip in the start position, even open it up and it just won't start until I leave it for a few hours. When it runs it runs extremely well but the original starting problem is very frustrating. Appreciate any suggestions.Thank you

Joew2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Tough to troubleshoot from a distance but it could be the carb is getting gummed up from dirt/gasoline varnish which can block some of the very tiny holes/jets.

Do you use a filter between the tank and the engine? You should, installed in the hose between the tank and the engine. Some small engines have a tiny filter inside the engine housing, just ahead of the carburetor, but it is tiny. Maybe it is plugging. Change it as it can plug quite quickly.

If it is gum then an additive such as Startron or Seafoam may help since it does still run which means fuel is getting through the passages. If no fuel is getting through passages then they cannot help. Then tt may require a full carb. strip down and chemical cleaning but try the other things first.

Which fuel do you use? Do not use alcohol laden fuel or gasahol. It will create problems with small engines like this as they were never designed for it. Find a source of no alcohol fuel. If you have gas stations with 92 or 94 octane, no alcohol, premium fuel that would do a much better job.

Oddly some places like garden equipment sellers may offer a gas that has no alcohol, not sure what they use as a replacement, for chain saws, weed eaters, blowers, etc. It is not cheap but may be worth considering. Some areas you may be able to get Avgas.

If you cannot avoid use of gasahol then buy only what you need, midgrade or premium , not storing large quantities and use it up. IF it starts to get old, 4-6 months or less, then use it in the car where it will be well diluted and used quickly. Actually it's not good to buy large quantities of fuel that then sits for long times.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Could be a sticky carb float valve. Could be time for a rebuild.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Could be a sticky carb float valve. Could be time for a rebuild.
Agreed, I've had that happen. Big pain.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Carb removal and cleaning is a half hour job.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Rebuild carb. common problem today. Do you use fuel stabilizer all the time?
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Unplug the stop button and the lanyard kill switch. Water got in mine and caused erratic ignition.

Rare for carb problems to come and go. Usually carb either works right or does not.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joew2604 View Post
Hi all. I have a 9.9B-2 355A 90's outboard on my Caribe dinghy. In the morning prime it , Pull and all is well. However,sometime s it will start to run for less than a minute,then stop. I will prime it again,put the starter grip in the start position, even open it up and it just won't start until I leave it for a few hours. When it runs it runs extremely well but the original starting problem is very frustrating. Appreciate any suggestions.Thank you
I had one. Spent so much time in the shop, I finally gave it to them and bought a Honda.

The 4 cycle OBs are such a pleasure to pull start. I remember the old 2 cycle OB. I think we had to pull them hard and fast if for no other reason than to teach them, who's the boss. LOL