Old 12-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Trick Davit Dinghy System

Here are some pictures of the Trick Davit System on my Mainship 34t.* The temp was 45* when the pictures were taken and the dink was a little light on air.* Also I'm experimenting with the davit at the stern of the dink.* Presently I have it shaped to the dink on one side and no hull shape on the side that goes into the water so to gauge the ease of pulling the dink up onto the davits.* That is one of the neat things I like about the system, the arms are adjustable to any hull design.

The kit is $1,250 and is complete with all mounting hardware including three tie down straps. *Everything is made from a Starboard type of material. *I am not affiliated in anyway.* I*just*think the system, for the price is a great value and is an easy install.* I have talked to the owner several times and he is extremely helpful.* I may call and see if we can get a TF special price for the off season if enough folks are interested.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 18th of December 2011 08:42:03 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close up of both davits.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	9078   Click image for larger version

Name:	bow of dink on davit.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	9079   Click image for larger version

Name:	#8 walk space between stern and dink.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	9080   Click image for larger version

Name:	#7 close up of pivot point.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	9081   Click image for larger version

Name:	#6 close up of mount.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	9082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	#5 mount on swim platform and pivot point.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	9083   Click image for larger version

Name:	#4 stern of dink ii.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	9084   Click image for larger version

Name:	#3 stern of dink on davit.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	9085   Click image for larger version

Name:	#2 dink on davit.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	9086   Click image for larger version

Name:	#1 stern of boat.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	9087  

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
RE: Trick Davit Dinghy System

Tks JD for the pictures. I don't have my mind made up yet on just what to purchase but this system doesn't look bad for the price. *It seems to be Maint free other than having to replace the straps ( locking mechanism rusting out ) over time, it should be painless.

Q4Y how hard is it to get at the straps to strap it down once you have the dink on the lift? *

Tks
Elwin*

Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Great job on your photos. How long is your dinghy? ()
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
JD
Guru

Walt, That dink is a nine footer but I set it up to take a 10.5 or 11.* I'm going to get a bigger dink this spring.* You can set it up to take most any size but once you get too big weight becomes a factor.* Not so much on the brackets or the platform but in getting it up by yourself.*(I'm as bad as you)

Elwin,* The first time it takes laying down on the platform and I think the front one is always going to be a bit of a pain in that manor but the back one is done without any strain as well as the side one that I have hooked to the handle on the side of the dink.*In fact if you look at the picture that shows the side strap you will notice it*has a long tail.* That makes for an easy adjustment by first snug the strap by hand then taking the tail in your right hand*and*dropping a loop toward the platform.* Put your left foot in the loop and push down while holding firm with the right hand.* This tightens the strap as hard as you may like.* They are a bit of a work in progress right now but I'm sure they will be easy once I have them set as to where I want them.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 18th of December 2011 11:56:42 AM
Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
JD
Guru

I just go off of the phone with the owner of the Trick Davits Company.

He said that he would be happy to talk to anyone on the Forum about their needs and the system.* Mention the Forum for some extra consideration.

So here is his number Jim Trethewey*@ (906) 458-9835 *8-5 EST* Again just a happy customer no other connection
Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

JD, thanks for posting. *It is a very interesting system. *I went of the website, and watched the slide show and video. *It would be interesting to know how a larger, heavier RIB would be handled. *In other words, could one person retrieve a 250+ lb. dinghy by simply sliding it up on the cradle. *I have a come-along to help tilt up my dinghy. *I cannot do it by just pulling a line. *I would sure like to see that done.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
JD
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
JD, thanks for posting. *It is a very interesting system. *I went of the website, and watched the slide show and video. *It would be interesting to know how a larger, heavier RIB would be handled. *In other words, could one person retrieve a 250+ lb. dinghy by simply sliding it up on the cradle. *I have a come-along to help tilt up my dinghy. *I cannot do it by just pulling a line. *I would sure like to see that done.
*Don,

He said that he is a pretty big guy 6' over 200# but he says that his son is smaller and weighs in at 150#.* Thats his sone in the videos.*The girl was picked off of the docks one day and she had never done it before.

He also said that his son says that the more you do it the easier it gets because you develop techniques that work for your boat.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #8

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Quote:
JD wrote:
Here are some pictures of the Trick Davit System on my Mainship 34t.* The temp was 45* when the pictures were taken and the dink was a little light on air.* Also I'm experimenting with the davit at the stern of the dink.* Presently I have it shaped to the dink on one side and no hull shape on the side that goes into the water so to gauge the ease of pulling the dink up onto the davits.* That is one of the neat things I like about the system, the arms are adjustable to any hull design.

The kit is $1,250 and is complete with all mounting hardware including three tie down straps. *Everything is made from a Starboard type of material. *I am not affiliated in anyway.* I*just*think the system, for the price is a great value and is an easy install.* I have talked to the owner several times and he is extremely helpful.* I may call and see if we can get a TF special price for the off season if enough folks are interested.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 18th of December 2011 08:42:03 AM
*I just read your post and wondered about the depth of your swim platform. *Ours is quite narrow (20"s) and also has a small step in the middle of it up to the boarding gate. *I am wondering how the system might work for us.
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
JD
Guru

I think mine is about 29" but I really don't remember.* If you go on line to his web site he has a phone number and you can call him.* He's a nice guy and will answer all of your questions.* You might want to take some pictures of what you have and then you could email them to him after you talk.* I know when I bought mine he said that if didn't fit I could send it back.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #10

JD, I just sent off an email to Jim asking for more info on his system. *I hope you don't mind that I mentioned that I had found his website because of your positive post on Trawler Forum!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #11

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan

After reading this last night I sent an inquiry to the company about the use of their system on a teak swim platform, all of the pics on their site show a glass platform. I received a reply back from Tom and they have a mount specifically for teak platforms. Just thought I'd pass this on.
B
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #12

Thanks Bill for the info. I did receive an email back from Jim at Trick Davits in response to my request for more information. *He isn't sure that his system will fit because our swim platform is quite narrow. *Once we have the shrink wrap off Delia Rosa we will send him more accurate measurements and photos. *I hope the system will work for us because it looks like a good solution for storing our dinghy!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
JD
Guru

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:
JD, I just sent off an email to Jim asking for more info on his system. *I hope you don't mind that I mentioned that I had found his website because of your positive post on Trawler Forum!
*No problem.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #14

A few more questions JD... you are using the extension arms for your installation, so I assume that when you remove the cradle, the extensions remain sticking out from the platform. *I would imagine that removing the extensions would not be a quick task- is that correct?

It also appears that there are several versions of the cradle available - you decided on the adjustable cradle because ????

Last question, did you compare the Trick Davit System to the Hurley Davit System? *http://www.hurleymarine.com/picts/36DavitMounting1.jpg

It is similarly priced but I don't know anyone who has actually installed it. At this point, we are really leaning towards the Trick Davit System but just want to cover all our bases. *

As you mentioned, the owner is great and very quick to respond to questions that we have asked!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 03:18:33 PM
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
JD
Guru

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:
A few more questions JD... you are using the extension arms for your installation, so I assume that when you remove the cradle, the extensions remain sticking out from the platform. *I would imagine that removing the extensions would not be a quick task- is that correct?

Yes*the*cradle arms remove with a quick disconnect.* Pull the pin remove the clevis and take the arm off.* But the extenions are through bolted to the swim platform.* See the attached picture.

It also appears that there are several versions of the cradle available - you decided on the adjustable cradle because ????

I think that is the best one because you can make it conform to your dink.

Last question, did you compare the Trick Davit System to the Hurley Davit System? *http://www.hurleymarine.com/picts/36DavitMounting1.jpg

It is similarly priced but I don't know anyone who has actually installed it. At this point, we are really leaning towards the Trick Davit System but just want to cover all our bases. *

I wanted to know if they had ever had a Livingston up on theirs and the person I was talking to didn't know.* I asked the folks at Trick and he said he had not but if I decided on his system and it didn't work for any boat he would take it back.* It didn't work on the Livingston and we were disapointed.* But I didn't think any thing elas short of Weaver or Seawise*was going to and they were out of the question price wise.* I had my old inflatable and it worked with it so I kept it.* But he did offer to take it back and that went a long way with me.

As you mentioned, the owner is great and very quick to respond to questions that we have asked!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 03:18:33 PM

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1105294&aBID=115492[/img]
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #16

Did you use a backing plate on the underside of the platform... *and if so does the plate extend beyond the thru bolts that we can see in the picture. - my husband Dan was wondering if there was a lot of load on that first section on the platform. *

By the way, why didn't it work on the Livingston?

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 05:14:32 PM
Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
JD
Guru

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:
Did you use a backing plate on the underside of the platform... *and if so does the plate extend beyond the thru bolts that we can see in the picture. - my husband Dan was wondering if there was a lot of load on that first section on the platform. *

By the way, why didn't it work on the Livingston?

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 05:14:32 PM
*The backing plate comes with the system.* It is complete down to all of the bolts and washers and tie downs.

The Livingston didn't work because of the two hulls.* The first one comes up on to the bracket but the second one catches on the bracket and will not let the boat be pulled up with ease.* A mono hull doesn't do that.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #18

Well I think the decision is made. ... Trick Davit Dinghy System it is!

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 09:09:56 PM
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
Guru

JD, As low as the rig sits to the water are you concerned that any seas, especially following seas will get under and cause a problem? Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #20

Our new davits from Trick Davit System will arrive on Tuesday.... what a treat Jim was to deal with.... lots of patience with our questions and concerns. Thanks JD for your help along the way!