Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 AM   #41
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Eddy, can you post pics of your swimstep,and a link to the system you bought. If you need screws 1ft long when those normally supplied are 4"long,it`s an unusual problem, and more info might help.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #42
Guru

Perhaps stainless threaded rod? Available @ McMaster Carr (McMaster.com) as well as associated nuts and washers.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Eddy:

Can you pivot the mount 90°, then you can mount it through the transom. You will need backing plates, but the transom will hold the weight.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hi there everyone,

I know this thread is quite old but I'm hoping someone can help me solve the following problem. I purchased this system and got it shipped all the way to Canada. It has extended brackets and need to be installed on the swim platform using screws 4inch long that are part of the package and bolts to be installed from underneath the platform. Most swim platform are thin enough and the 4" screws can go all the way down through the platform and hold the brackets in place once the bolts are screwed on. In my case, the swim platform is too thick and I would need screws 3 times longer to go all the way from the top to underneath the platform and be able to put the bolts on. Any suggestions? Thanks
Buy stainless steel bolts (316 ss) of the same size and long enough to meet your needs. Make sure the threads are the same or you'll need to buy a new set of matching nuts. You don't NEED to use the hardware that was shipped. Just make sure the hardware is appropriate for the environment.

FYI, I haven't seen much 316 ss stock at the box stores. You may need to go to a ship chandler or order the hardware online.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Eddy
From your description I'm guessing you have a molded swim deck.
If so I don't think its wise to through bolt as it will puts lots of stress on the thin sections if / when you tighten the "bolts" or threaded rods.

If so, is it integral to the boat or bolted on?
Is there any way to get access from inside the transom?
Even enough to cut an access hole and install a cover plate / hatch?

I Helped a friend mount a dingy hoist on a molded platform.
He made up backer plates that were drilled w the same bolt hole pattern as the mounts and tapped for the bolts. All we had to do is push the plates into the hollow swim deck...taped to a wooden stick..and get 2 bolts started. That allowed tightening of bolts against the solid upper layer of the hollow deck with a solid backer plate.

If no inside access the other alternative is to cut an access hole outside on the swim deck between where the mounts will go and use the hole to do as outlined above. Lastly install a trim ring/ screw on cover plate to close the access hole.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #46

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Eddy
From your description I'm guessing you have a molded swim deck.
If so I don't think its wise to through bolt as it will puts lots of stress on the thin sections if / when you tighten the "bolts" or threaded rods.
I haven't done it on hollow FRP structures, but would it be possible to glass in compression tubes, flush at the top and bottom, allowing long rods to pass through them and tighten without crushing the structure?
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandJeri View Post
I haven't done it on hollow FRP structures, but would it be possible to glass in compression tubes, flush at the top and bottom, allowing long rods to pass through them and tighten without crushing the structure?
I suppose the concept would take care of the issue I raised. I know thats exactly what is done w cored FG but that can be done by filling an oversized plug and re drilling... notnpractical w a hollow deck.

The problem I would anticipate would be how to get a strong water tight attachment when you cant access the backside to at least build up a fillet.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandJeri View Post
+1
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #49
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
The following is how I mounted Trick davits on our North Pacific 39. From the top platform is about 4" thick. Glass, 1" foam core. 2" air space, 1" core and glass.

My goal was to make a strong connection that would never leak into the platform and coring or deflect when tightning the davit feet bolts.

Sorry I don't know how to add comments between photos.

Rob

1. Locate and clamp feet to platform, drill holes.

2. Cut out bottom of platform outside drilled holes, about 6" X 6". Photo of glass and core.

3.Reef out coring bottom side of top skin

4. Build compression blocks out of plywood. Epoxy coat and screw together. Drill 4 1" holes through each block and coat inside of holes with epoxy.

5. Mix up thickened epoxy, fill 1" holes in compression blocks, reefed out coring and bed block in same. Photo shows end result.

6. Three layers of cloth over cut out.

7. Cut wood template, clamp davit foot on top, template on bottom. Re-drill holes through 1" epoxy filled holes in compression blocks.

8. Stainless steel backing plates made from wood templates.
Attached Thumbnails
Clamp feet.jpg   IMG_0305.jpg   IMG_0303.jpg   IMG_0308.jpg   Platform 5.jpg  

Platform 2.jpg   IMG_0317.jpg   IMG_0318.jpg  
Old 03-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #50

City: Red Wing MN
I know this a old thread but there are not many reviews online about the trick Davit system. I purchased a set of Davits used in very good shape, and I need the 14” extension mount for my Carver. My platform is 32”. My question is after the Davit is extended 14” are you still able to grab it and pull it up? Or is it to far away? Thanks much!
Thanecarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #51
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanecarver View Post
I know this a old thread but there are not many reviews online about the trick Davit system. I purchased a set of Davits used in very good shape, and I need the 14” extension mount for my Carver. My platform is 32”. My question is after the Davit is extended 14” are you still able to grab it and pull it up? Or is it to far away? Thanks much!
You should be able to reach out and grab the dinghy, even with the extensions. I have 2 neighbors with the extensions who've never complained about it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #52

City: Clearwater, Florida
Trick Davit dinghy carrier

Has anyone purchased and installed a Trick Davit system? I have tried a Hurley system and I can't pull my dinghy up on the platform. I have an AB fiberglass bottom 9' with a 15hp Yamaha motor. Combined weight is approx. 250#s.
Trick Davit tell me it will be easy to pull up with their system. I hate to spend another $1000+ and find it doesn't work. I ask for some references where owners with fiberglass bottom dinghies have been sold but the owner doesn't want to share any due to privacy issues. Strange to me.

any suggestions

DazeOff in Clearwater Fl
DazeOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #53
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I have had trick davits on our Mainship 400 for about 5 years now. We have a 11' Caribe Light (RIB) with a 20 hp Suzuki 4 stroke. Despite it's name, the dinghy is pretty heavy for what it is. I know that the actual weight is a good bit heavier than Caribe publishes.

Mostly the Trick Davits have been good. The owner was nice to work with. The Dink is easy to launch and rides really well there. I secure it to the boat with criss crossing ratchet straps from the interior bow eye of the dink and the aftmost lifting eye on the transom of the dink to the stern cleats on the big boat.

Two issues.

1. It's not as easy to load the dink as advertised. Or at least not ours, which is pretty heavy. With a small/light dink it would be easier. I use a 4 way sailboat block tied off to the base of the rail on the flybridge deck over the cockpit. I clip the block system to the stern of the dink and pull the stern 1/2 way up. I then pull the bow up using the bow painter (no block) and then the stern the rest of the way. I can load it alone that way, takes 5 to 10 minutes. Without the block system it would be very difficult, if not impossible. I have two teenage sons and I am quite fit, but it would be a bear even for three of us.

2. The center plate on the davit arms are made of starboard and are just not robust enough. I broke 4 of them (they sent me free replacements) in 18 months. Eventually, I gave up and took a plate to a machine shop who duplicated them in 1/2" thick aluminum for me. That worked great. Again, if you had a really light dink this may not be a problem, but the plates are pretty delicate. I broke one when I bumped the davit arms with the dinghy when loading in choppy seas. Perhaps he has addressed this issue.

Hope that helps. You can PM me if you have questions.

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #54
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I had one on the NP 39. Total of 192 lbs with the outboard attached. Tough to do alone, a breeze with Diane's help. You may be approaching the limit of pulling by hand at 250 lbs.

Maybe a winch or block and tackle at that weight.

Rob